MoDOT State Rail Plan FY2012

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The results of the public meetings and online survey are available online. The report has notes from each of the public meetings that provide an interesting perspective on opinions where there is AMTRAK service vs. places with no service.

http://modot.org/othertransportation/rail/documents/PublicMeetingSeries1_SummaryFullReport.pdf
Yes, and you'll notice that the responses that rail is "very important" are highest in Springfield among all Missouri cities with no Amtrak service. I've gotten several friends and co-workers to drive to SED, KCY, or STL to catch the train, and some of them who don't drive will pay for a friend's gas to take them to STL rather than go by Greyhound. There is a market for STL-SGF service. I'm hoping that another study will reveal more favourable numbers, and we can finally get passenger service back to one of the country's busiest rail hubs.

The results of the public meetings and online survey are available online. The report has notes from each of the public meetings that provide an interesting perspective on opinions where there is AMTRAK service vs. places with no service.

http://modot.org/othertransportation/rail/documents/PublicMeetingSeries1_SummaryFullReport.pdf
Yes, and you'll notice that the responses that rail is "very important" are highest in Springfield among all Missouri cities with no Amtrak service. I've gotten several friends and co-workers to drive to SED, KCY, or STL to catch the train, and some of them who don't drive will pay for a friend's gas to take them to STL rather than go by Greyhound. There is a market for STL-SGF service. I'm hoping that another study will reveal more favourable numbers, and we can finally get passenger service back to one of the country's busiest rail hubs.
I thought they had already looked at this and decided it was too hilly between St. Louis and Springfield?

Maybe MO should take those two Talgos off WI's hands for cheap, for use on the curvy StL KC corridor to provide faster end to end service. Just a random thought.
Isn't MO receiving bilievels as part of the California-Midwest order? To continue your random thought, perhaps a trade is in order here, with WI's Talgos going to MO and MO's bilevels going to WI.

Maybe MO should take those two Talgos off WI's hands for cheap, for use on the curvy StL KC corridor to provide faster end to end service. Just a random thought.
Isn't MO receiving bilievels as part of the California-Midwest order? To continue your random thought, perhaps a trade is in order here, with WI's Talgos going to MO and MO's bilevels going to WI.
MO still need bi-levels for the Chicago - St. louis service. Wisconsin by its own admission does not need anything. :)

MO still need bi-levels for the Chicago - St. louis service. Wisconsin by its own admission does not need anything. :)
Ha!

It's my understanding that if you break the Midwest portion of the order down by state, the MO portion covers the Missouri River Runner, while the IL portion covers the Lincoln Service (plus other IL corridors).

Ha!

It's my understanding that if you break the Midwest portion of the order down by state, the MO portion covers the Missouri River Runner, while the IL portion covers the Lincoln Service (plus other IL corridors).
That's correct. IL will own the trainsets that will be used on the Lincoln, as their total travel distance in MO amounts to 14 blocks. The MO-owned trainsets will be used exclusively on the River Runner. Currently, MO has only ordered two trainsets.

I'm hearing talk of sets, but my understanding is that the order was for cars. Does anybody know what the "standard" consist is likely to be for these sets (i.e. 3 coaches, 1 BC car, and one coach-cafe)?

That's correct. IL will own the trainsets that will be used on the Lincoln, as their total travel distance in MO amounts to 14 blocks. The MO-owned trainsets will be used exclusively on the River Runner. Currently, MO has only ordered two trainsets.
That's highly unlikely that the cars that MO brought will remain only in MO. If for no other reason than simply because the cars will need servicing and the train's can't stop running while that happens. Just like Metro North owns some cars & engines that operate west of the Hudson River, those cars & engines mix and mingle with NJT cars throughout the NJT system.

The operator, in this case Amtrak will move the cars around as it sees fit to fullfill the contracts with each mid-west state and to ensure that service is maintained at all times even while cars go in and out of service for inspections and repairs.

I'm hearing talk of sets, but my understanding is that the order was for cars. Does anybody know what the "standard" consist is likely to be for these sets (i.e. 3 coaches, 1 BC car, and one coach-cafe)?
I would expect something similar to that consist, yes. The official documentation lists "two trainsets" as the order. I don't think that includes locomotives, as the P-42's aren't going to need replacing very soon, but I can't say for sure. I only know what's published by MoDOT or stated in the local meetings I attend.

That's highly unlikely that the cars that MO brought will remain only in MO. If for no other reason than simply because the cars will need servicing and the train's can't stop running while that happens. Just like Metro North owns some cars & engines that operate west of the Hudson River, those cars & engines mix and mingle with NJT cars throughout the NJT system.

The operator, in this case Amtrak will move the cars around as it sees fit to fullfill the contracts with each mid-west state and to ensure that service is maintained at all times even while cars go in and out of service for inspections and repairs.
Very likely. My post that you quoted is essentially how it's written in the official documentation, but of course there are no maintenance facilities in Missouri; the closest is in Chicago, so the cars will have to go there regularly for maintenance.

I would expect something similar to that consist, yes. The official documentation lists "two trainsets" as the order. I don't think that includes locomotives, as the P-42's aren't going to need replacing very soon, but I can't say for sure. I only know what's published by MoDOT or stated in the local meetings I attend.

I believe the plan does include replacement locomotives as well, just that the bilevel cars may be arriving sooner. (Unless the MO "trainsets" specifically exclude locomotives while the IL & MI sets include them.) The USDOT press release from August 2011 lists locomotives and rail cars.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2011/fra1611.html

I believe the plan does include replacement locomotives as well, just that the bilevel cars may be arriving sooner. (Unless the MO "trainsets" specifically exclude locomotives while the IL & MI sets include them.) The USDOT press release from August 2011 lists locomotives and rail cars.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2011/fra1611.html
I haven't found anything specific at all. This source seems to indicate we may be getting new locomotives as well. The P-42's aren't that old, ~12 years I think, but I'm not going to object to P-45's. :D

I haven't found anything specific at all. This source seems to indicate we may be getting new locomotives as well. The P-42's aren't that old, ~12 years I think, but I'm not going to object to P-45's. :D
The first of the P-42s delivered started in service in 1996 and are now 16 years old. The P-42's entered service from 1996 to 2001. The Amtrak Fleet Strategy Plan uses 20 years as the baseline commercial lifespan for diesel locomotives. So Amtrak wants to start replacement of the P-42s by 2016-2017. The grants combined with some state money are to buy around 33 Next Gen diesel locomotives for the Midwest and CA. The new diesel locomotives will meet the Next Generation specifications with 125 mph max speeds. If Amtrak can line up the funding, they will likely join with the state order for the diesels to place a large total order.

The first of the P-42s delivered started in service in 1996 and are now 16 years old. The P-42's entered service from 1996 to 2001. The Amtrak Fleet Strategy Plan uses 20 years as the baseline commercial lifespan for diesel locomotives. So Amtrak wants to start replacement of the P-42s by 2016-2017. The grants combined with some state money are to buy around 33 Next Gen diesel locomotives for the Midwest and CA. The new diesel locomotives will meet the Next Generation specifications with 125 mph max speeds. If Amtrak can line up the funding, they will likely join with the state order for the diesels to place a large total order.
Okay, so since the cars are coming 2015-2017, that would make sense to replace the locomotives about the same time period. To be honest, the talk of 125 sounds a bit fantastical, considering that we're barely starting to breach 80, but if these new locos have quicker acceleration too, then that changes the game here.

Well, they will operate up to 110mph on the CHI-STL and CHI-DET routes, so having a design speed of somewhat greater than that doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back