Minneapolis to Toronto: Rolling Fiasco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:giggle: Love it! AARP has a couple of pages with "five tips for traveling on a budget". No. 5?

5. Travel in the Slow Season"Let's say you qualify for no discounts, and you are still trying to save a couple of bucks," says Magliari with the last of his money-saving train travel tips. "Your best way to save is to travel when most other people aren't." Besides the obvious (the dead of winter), early fall is another slow travel season, he adds, once school is back in session and the average summer vacation budget is depleted. "The weather is better," says Magliari. "September into early October is a lovely time to travel all over the country."
Less money AND better service! As Charlie Sheen says "Bi-winning. Win here, win there"

Just as an aside, reading this has caused a question to arise for me. I rode the Maple Leaf and the Adorandack both several years ago and we remained on the train which was always stopped well over an hour each way. Do I now understand that everyone must detrain and go into a building?

Hard to say if it is always required. Not hard to say THIS time that's what happened. Canadian border security caused the whole train to unload. Going south on Maple Leaf, American security just went through without taking anybody off till interrogation suggested a need.

The Canadian CBSA always takes everyone off the Maple Leaf all the time now. The CBSA does their work in the station in Vancouver, after the train reaches that final stop. Currently the CBSA still comes onboard the Adirondack to clear everyone. That should change in a year or two, once a secure facility is set up in Montreal's Central Station. This will cause the elimination of the stop at St. Lambert.

Heading into the US, US Border Patrol do one check in the station in Vancouver and a second just after reentering the US. For the Maple Leaf, they generally always come on the train. On rare occasions I've heard of them clearing the train and bringing everyone into the building. On the Adirondack, again everything is done on the train for now. Again, that too will change when the new facility opens in Central Station.

Sounds like a circus to me. How many different ways are "the right way". And, of course, their intervention makes a mockery of the scheduled times because they have no concern at all what Via Rail and Amtrak predict. Which, again, makes me think Via and Amtrak should simply be straightforward and say "border security makes arrival times unpredictable".

The MIssissippi has been in flood for many weeks. It wasn't any surprise. This is a train that goes DAILY. They had buses already to take people to Red Wing and Winona. Who knows why such goofy procedures are used. As for a route, the Wolverine Line goes from Chicago to Detroit. Seems like it would take little to connect to Canada in Windsor and route that way. But it appears to be something the traveler assembles for himself. If you just give a departure point and then Toronto, the computers at Amtrak automatically offer you the Lakeshore Limited and the Maple Leaf. I've given it a pass before, but I wanted to see what those lines were like. Hard to see why it should be this difficult. Makes me wonder about the other routes to the east coast. But here in Middle America, we do have these large rivers that regularly overflow, and we have train connections that are at risk. So flood season just is an iffy time to go. I want to do the the Empire Builder west in late July and hope all's well when I come to do that.
On the topic of catching the Wolverine to connect to VIA at Windsor - this can in fact be done, and Amtrak even hints at it with a note on the Wolverine timetable. However, they leave passengers on their own to get from Detroit to Windsor. From the schedule:

"VIA operates train service between Windsor, Toronto and connecting cities.

Passengers make own arrangements for transfers to/from all cities."

The simplest way to do this is perhaps a taxi to the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, the Tunnel Bus to Windsor, and a taxi to the VIA station. One may be able to get a taxi to cross the border, but they'd probably tack on a hefty fee for doing so. If done same day, it would be the quickest train routing from Chicago to Toronto (one would take #350 at 7:30am, arrive at DET at 2:08pm, and get to Windsor for the 5:45 VIA train to Toronto). However, if the Wolverine is really late (or the border backed up) you're pretty much stuck overnighting in Windsor and waiting for the morning VIA (and possibly out the cost of a nonrefundable VIA ticket).

It would definitely be nice if VIA and Amtrak could operate a Thruway bus Detroit-Windsor and do through ticketing on this route (just as they do on the Maple Leaf - after all, it is a VIA train once it enters Canada). However, it would be of limited utility to those arriving in CHI via connecting trains as an overnight would be required. Would work for Chicago and Michigan passengers, though...

In any case, I think I'm going to do this myself soon - though I plan on overnighting in Windsor as I want to leave later in the day anyway and don't want to worry about the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MIssissippi has been in flood for many weeks. It wasn't any surprise. This is a train that goes DAILY. They had buses already to take people to Red Wing and Winona. Who knows why such goofy procedures are used. As for a route, the Wolverine Line goes from Chicago to Detroit. Seems like it would take little to connect to Canada in Windsor and route that way. But it appears to be something the traveler assembles for himself. If you just give a departure point and then Toronto, the computers at Amtrak automatically offer you the Lakeshore Limited and the Maple Leaf. I've given it a pass before, but I wanted to see what those lines were like. Hard to see why it should be this difficult. Makes me wonder about the other routes to the east coast. But here in Middle America, we do have these large rivers that regularly overflow, and we have train connections that are at risk. So flood season just is an iffy time to go. I want to do the the Empire Builder west in late July and hope all's well when I come to do that.

On the topic of catching the Wolverine to connect to VIA at Windsor - this can in fact be done, and Amtrak even hints at it with a note on the Wolverine timetable. However, they leave passengers on their own to get from Detroit to Windsor. From the schedule:

"VIA operates train service between Windsor, Toronto and connecting cities.

Passengers make own arrangements for transfers to/from all cities."

The simplest way to do this is perhaps a taxi to the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, the Tunnel Bus to Windsor, and a taxi to the VIA station. One may be able to get a taxi to cross the border, but they'd probably tack on a hefty fee for doing so. If done same day, it would be the quickest train routing from Chicago to Toronto (one would take #350 at 7:30am, arrive at DET at 2:08pm, and get to Windsor for the 5:45 VIA train to Toronto). However, if the Wolverine is really late (or the border backed up) you're pretty much stuck overnighting in Windsor and waiting for the morning VIA (and possibly out the cost of a nonrefundable VIA ticket).

It would definitely be nice if VIA and Amtrak could operate a Thruway bus Detroit-Windsor and do through ticketing on this route (just as they do on the Maple Leaf - after all, it is a VIA train once it enters Canada). However, it would be of limited utility to those arriving in CHI via connecting trains as an overnight would be required. Would work for Chicago and Michigan passengers, though...

In any case, I think I'm going to do this myself soon - though I plan on overnighting in Windsor as I want to leave later in the day anyway and don't want to worry about the connection.
After my experience of the hassles of going via Buffalo, I think Chicago to Detroit makes much more sense. If you handle the border crossing outside the train arrangements, you do the planning. And at this juncture, I fully expect the average passenger to do it better.

Sounds like a circus to me. How many different ways are "the right way". And, of course, their intervention makes a mockery of the scheduled times because they have no concern at all what Via Rail and Amtrak predict. Which, again, makes me think Via and Amtrak should simply be straightforward and say "border security makes arrival times unpredictable".
Well, the CBSA used to come onto the Maple Leaf for years. But they dropped that procedure maybe 2 or 3 years ago, wanting to have better access to their computers, especially with passports and such now having electronic chips in them.

Once things are redone in Montreal, it will be more consistent, in that both the Adirondack & the Cascades services will be the same. Only the Leaf will remain an oddball, since there is no easy answer to fix that one. If there are any further changes to the Leaf, I'd expect it to be that we'll find that the US side starts requiring everyone to leave the train too.

But short of Canada & VIA deciding to give up all stops in Canada, which I think is highly unlikely, we'll never see similar practices to what we currently have with the Cascades and soon will have with the Adirondack. Even if VIA gave up its stops, the station at Toronto is a run through station, unlike Central in Montreal and Pacific Central in Vancouver. So that would complicate things in terms of building a secure area.

And it will improve the times for the Adirondack once things are done at Gare Centrale. There is nothing however that can be done for the Leaf.

Well, the CBSA used to come onto the Maple Leaf for years. But they dropped that procedure maybe 2 or 3 years ago, wanting to have better access to their computers, especially with passports and such now having electronic chips in them.

Once things are redone in Montreal, it will be more consistent, in that both the Adirondack & the Cascades services will be the same. Only the Leaf will remain an oddball, since there is no easy answer to fix that one. If there are any further changes to the Leaf, I'd expect it to be that we'll find that the US side starts requiring everyone to leave the train too.

But short of Canada & VIA deciding to give up all stops in Canada, which I think is highly unlikely, we'll never see similar practices to what we currently have with the Cascades and soon will have with the Adirondack. Even if VIA gave up its stops, the station at Toronto is a run through station, unlike Central in Montreal and Pacific Central in Vancouver. So that would complicate things in terms of building a secure area.

And it will improve the times for the Adirondack once things are done at Gare Centrale. There is nothing however that can be done for the Leaf.
Better access? All around me were people with electronic devices giving them unbroken contact with their computers. But border patrol has to unload a whole train for the same purpose? Either they aren't too bright or they aren't too honest. I won't venture which is more likely. In any case, the comfort and schedule of travelers places dead last in everyone's priority list. And that is a fact that travelers need to know. I'm still waiting for all this to actually catch anything or anyone dangerous. Reminds me of those ocean trawlers with nets that drag everything in their path out of the sea.

Better access? All around me were people with electronic devices giving them unbroken contact with their computers. But border patrol has to unload a whole train for the same purpose?
Yes, but did you notice any of those people using RFID scanners? Scanners tied to their computers.

Either they aren't too bright or they aren't too honest. I won't venture which is more likely. In any case, the comfort and schedule of travelers places dead last in everyone's priority list. And that is a fact that travelers need to know.
I think that they also like this for the opportunity to have a dog walk by everyone & their luggage. I know that I set off the dog going into Vancouver a couple of years ago by having a couple of 187 ML bottles of wine in my bag.

I'm still waiting for all this to actually catch anything or anyone dangerous. Reminds me of those ocean trawlers with nets that drag everything in their path out of the sea.
While not dangerous, I've seen the CBSA catch a mother trying to slip over the border illegally with her kid. She only had a copy of her daughter's birth certificate with her, not the original. And her story wasn't very convincing IMHO and I'm not even trained. Needless to say, they took them off the train and returned them to the US.

And I've seen others taken off the trains before, never to return. I don't know what they did or didn't do, but they do catch people.

All that said, I do have to say that I think it odd that two country's that consider themselves to be good friends and allies have managed to make crossing the border harder than ever, while in most of Europe now one can travel unimpeded between many countries.

Yes, because your anecdotes take the place of actual data. Since you never arrived on time, clearly no train ever does.
What a joke. I merely have proof that the schedules on the route I rode are a fantasy. It is up to others to prove that any of them do. What is the actual ontime percentage of the whole system. I know people have said similar things about California Zephyr. Am I supposed to ride every train to prove that there are some that actually adhere to the printed schedule? I'm presenting FACTS about two runs. I guess some fans are very very uncomfortable with anything they don't consider good news.

PLUS I mentioned that Delta Airlines has a 60 percent record. Not good. I've said a few times that I've yet to encounter a good model in the travel business for the heavy travel season. You want to present "actual data" proving there is one? Knock yourself out. Or do you just want to grump about the details I've presented, as if that proves anything at all?

On the light rail in the Twin Cities, transit cops use their cell phones for scanning, so yes, this is totally a technically feasible option.

I think that they also like this for the opportunity to have a dog walk by everyone & their luggage. I know that I set off the dog going into Vancouver a couple of years ago by having a couple of 187 ML bottles of wine in my bag.
We were told not to be surprised if the US border patrol came through the car with dogs. But it never happened.

While not dangerous, I've seen the CBSA catch a mother trying to slip over the border illegally with her kid. She only had a copy of her daughter's birth certificate with her, not the original. And her story wasn't very convincing IMHO and I'm not even trained. Needless to say, they took them off the train and returned them to the US.
And I've seen others taken off the trains before, never to return. I don't know what they did or didn't do, but they do catch people.

All that said, I do have to say that I think it odd that two country's that consider themselves to be good friends and allies have managed to make crossing the border harder than ever, while in most of Europe now one can travel unimpeded between many countries.
Well, people slip over the border by the tens of thousands. And, yes, catching them is indeed the job of border security. But if you look at the whole immigration issue in the USA, you can see that all this activity is catching just strays. I don't begrudge their performance of the function, I just wonder if someone with a brain could tweak it as i f passengers actually mattered. They treat the whole bunch of us as potential enemies, so they don't have to regret anything they do to us. And the railroads aren't much better. But as happens with travelers in any mode, people using the trains seem to shrug as if to say "Well, it is MY fault for needing to travel, so I better shut my mind and piehole".

By the way, just a few years back, I traveled to Bulgaria and saw an operation that embarrasses me about our "developed nation". I really would like to crisscross Europe to see if North America is as hopeless at it looks.

PLUS I mentioned that Delta Airlines has a 60 percent record. Not good. I've said a few times that I've yet to encounter a good model in the travel business for the heavy travel season. You want to present "actual data" proving there is one? Knock yourself out. Or do you just want to grump about the details I've presented, as if that proves anything at all?
According to US DOT, BTS, Delta's on-time record for the 12 months ending 4/30/2012 is 86% (14 minute DOT tolerance).

BTS (select Delta from the carrier list)

Yes, because your anecdotes take the place of actual data. Since you never arrived on time, clearly no train ever does.
What a joke. I merely have proof that the schedules on the route I rode are a fantasy.
No you don't, you have proof that the schedules on the route that you rode on were a fantasy on the days that you rode them. If you want to look at some data, Amtrak publishes reports on OTP at the endpoints. If you want to talk OTP at midpoints, you'll have to do some research.

Or do you just want to grump about the details I've presented, as if that proves anything at all?
I just want to point out that your sweeping generalizations and assumptions based on a single data point are completely invalid. You reinforce that when people point out other reasonable alternate hypothesis and you soundly reject them defaulting back to "They're all screwed up".

I don't see how taking everyone off the train would make this photocopy holding criminal any easier to catch. Why wouldn't they have been able to figure this out on the train?

Well, I would hope that we would judge their success by who is actually a threat, rather than just whoever they happen to take away to god only knows where for god only knows why.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. The ability to move freely was once a fundamental goal of Western European people and North American people alike. In the case of Europe this goal remains intact and in fact has been strengthened over time. While here in the US the ability to move freely is seen less and less as a fundamental right after 9/11. Instead free movement (and indeed free will) is in many ways seen more and more as a potential threat to our safety. Or at least that's how it is portrayed to us by those who endeavor to restrict it.

The truly curious part of this equation is Canada. To my understanding most Canadians are not nearly as fearful of potential security threats as average US citizens are. From what I've read most Canadians are generally pretty relaxed about security concerns. So why is Canada's government taking such a hard line on border security? Maybe it's part of the current government's attempt to solidify their ideological bona fides. Maybe it's because they want to win points with the US government and help promote our cooperation on other controversial projects (such as Keystone XL) by following our lead or even expanding upon it. Maybe a little of both?

Am I supposed to ride every train to prove that there are some that actually adhere to the printed schedule?
Nope. But you're expected to check your assertions with Amtrak's Historical On-Time Performance, which can be found by going to Amtrak.com, hovering over "Routes", clicking "Historical On-Time Performance", and then clicking "Maple Leaf". Four clicks (well, three clicks and a hover) and a typing of a web address from this thread.

That states that, over the past year, the Maple Leaf has been on-time 77.1% of the time, and 53.2% of the time in May 2012.

It's not that hard to find information.

Am I supposed to ride every train to prove that there are some that actually adhere to the printed schedule?
Nope. But you're expected to check your assertions with Amtrak's Historical On-Time Performance, which can be found by going to Amtrak.com, hovering over "Routes", clicking "Historical On-Time Performance", and then clicking "Maple Leaf". Four clicks (well, three clicks and a hover) and a typing of a web address from this thread.

That states that, over the past year, the Maple Leaf has been on-time 77.1% of the time, and 53.2% of the time in May 2012.

Before you jump into a thread, read it. I STATED that the Maple Leaf left Toronto ontime, first occurrence in the whole TRIP. BUT you can't get around the fact it did NOT arrive ontime in Buffalo. Amtrak can publish whatever it wants, it can't make the arrival of the southbound Maple Leaf that night on time. How about reading saome "data" from an independent source. FAA publishes, I think, the percentages for private airlines. What is the independent source for Amtrak?

Not a contemporary article, but it does address some of the issues that affected me. I'll still look for more current information on the same subject.:

WASHINGTON — Amtrak's long-distance trains are increasingly behind schedule, costing the financially struggling company riders and revenue at a time when congressional critics want to eliminate money-losing lines.
Some lines run late as much as two-thirds of the time, even under Amtrak standards permitting a long-distance train that is 30 minutes late to be officially considered punctual, Amtrak records show.

Amtrak President David Gunn said the delays have contributed to significant ridership losses on 18 long-distance lines that the company threatened to shut down earlier this year. Some members of Congress want to cancel those lines, several of which lose more than $200 per passenger.

Gunn attributed most of the delays to growing freight train congestion, particularly in the South and Southwest, and poor track conditions the company can do little about because freight companies own most of the track.

Every year, Amtrak dangles millions in incentives to encourage freight companies to help the on-time performance of passenger trains, but most of those bonuses are never claimed.

"The problems here are serious and it reflects a problem they have moving tonnage and maintaining their plant and equipment," Gunn said. During the 12 months that ended Sept. 30, Amtrak estimates it lost $28 million in ticket revenue due to overall service problems, chiefly because of late trains. Tardiness cost millions more in extra labor costs, though company officials could not provide exact figures.

The on-time performance of all Amtrak trains fell only slightly over the past five years, from 78.6% during the 1997-98 fiscal year to 76.9% this past fiscal year, company figures show. While Amtrak's punctuality dipped along its heavily traveled Northeast corridor and steadily improved in the far West, on-time performance for the rest of the country sank from 70.4% five years ago to 58% this past year.

Three lines were late at least two-thirds of the time: the Cardinal, which runs from Washington, D.C, to Chicago; the Texas Eagle, from Chicago to San Antonio, Texas; and the westbound Sunset Limited, from Orlando to Los Angeles. The eastbound Sunset Limited was on time more often because there was less freight traffic in that direction, officials said.

Gunn admits some of the tardiness is self-inflicted. The company's freight business, created to boost its bottom line, causes delays because train cars have to be switched or added to accommodate freight. Gunn said the company is phasing out its money-losing freight business, which should help on-time performance.

Delays due to cleaning and station connections also have contributed to trains arriving late, he said.

But Gunn blames most delays on a dramatic increase in the volume hauled by freight trains, which reluctantly share the rails with passenger trains. Freight traffic density — essentially the amount of freight per mile of track -has more than doubled since 1987, according to the Association of American Railroads.

Amtrak owns about 730 miles of track, mostly in the Northeast. The rest of the more than 21,000 miles of track it uses is owned by freight companies. Those companies are required to give Amtrak priority, but a lack of rail capacity and more slow-moving freight traffic have made it difficult to meet on-time schedules in many parts of the country, Amtrak and freight company officials said. Gunn also said poor track conditions that force all trains to slow to a crawl in some areas have contributed to delays, but some freight companies dispute that.

Ross Capon, executive director of the National Association of Rail Passengers, says there's not enough evidence to link the increasing lateness of trains with a drop in their riders, given the many reasons people decide to take — or not take — the train.

"It's fair to say that there are a lot of people on the long-distance trains that are not expecting on-time performance. But when it reaches the point where (you're) missing a connection and spending an extra night someplace, it becomes much more of a problem" he said. "Some passengers find late operation unacceptable. Period."

In the last fiscal year, Amtrak paid $23 million to freight and commuter lines as bonuses for giving passenger trains greater priority. Of that, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, which handles the Empire Builder, got more than half. But freight companies left $46 million in incentives on the table, according to Amtrak.

The potential bonuses are not generous enough for some freight companies to sacrifice their schedules on behalf of Amtrak.

"It's not a significant amount," said John Bromley, a spokesman for Union Pacific, which handles the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle. "Waving money in front of us — unless it's for track repairs — isn't going to fix the problem because the reality is you have a lot of freight trains out there."
Punctuality on Amtrak

And we've come full circle - since the train didn't arrive in Buffalo on time, clearly it never does.

Or, you can actually go do some research. First stop: The Amtrak Delays website that polls data directly from Amtrak and stores it for reference:

BUF_Delays.png

Not really a whole lot of data there, but it looks like some proof that the train does usually adhere to it's schedule.

If you really want to dig into it, you can head over to the Amtrak Status Maps site - he archives the data daily, but doesn't provide a way to pull the data for one particular station over time (something I'm fooling around with trying to fix).

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusPages/MapleLeafStatus.htm

Edit: Wow, a 10 year old article speaking in generalities. Great find, you're really bolstering your argument.

More recent article:

60 million would benefit from funding AmtrakFebruary 10, 2012

By Jean-Paul Honegger

Columnist

A few years ago, I took the night train between two cities 1,038 miles apart. It was meant to be a fairly quick journey, but the train arrived late at our departure point and left nearly an hour behind schedule. Its delay then added up through the night and we arrived at our destination almost three hours later than we had expected. There were no mechanical issues, and on paper, this was nothing more than a simple journey from Denver to Chicago, delayed even before the train entered the station.

And this was not an isolated incident. In 2011, the California Zephyr (which connects Emeryville, California to Chicago) had an on-time performance of 34.5 percent, comparable with that of many other train services across the country. Of the 33 routes operated by Amtrak, 23 were punctual less than 80 percent of the time in 2011. With such low reliability, it is no small wonder that people have little faith or interest in using their national railway company. It is relatively expensive for the time that it takes to travel that distance—flying from Portland to New York can cost as little as $80 roundtrip, whereas the same journey by train takes three times as long and costs $70 more.

Amtrak could easily be a fast, efficient and comfortable way to travel, but it is hampered by various factors. The most apparent of these is seen on the tracks of the Acela Express in the Northeast Corridor, which connects Washington, D.C. to Boston, via New York.

Though it is often considered a high-speed train, the Acela is far from that. It rarely reaches its top speed of 150 mph, averaging at just under half that. Certainly, the particularly curvy nature of the line does affect the performance of trains, but this could be easily remedied by building a new line dedicated solely to high-speed rail services.

Many Republican members of Congress and various special interest groups denounce this as "wasteful spending" but compared to other transportation methods, the federal government spends very little on railways. Indeed, between 1971 and 2008, the federal government spent $36 billion on Amtrak, compared to $421 billion on aviation and railways in the same period.

To say that investing in high-speed railway is "too costly for America" is a preposterous idea, especially considering that a real high-speed line (that is, one where trains could reach 250 mph) in the Northeast corridor would service nearly 50 million people, nearly 16 percent of this country's population.

What's more, some estimates calculate that 60 million people will live in the "Northeast mega-region" by 2025. With regular, fast service, the immediate cost of building such a rail line would be outweighed by long-term profits.

But let's return to the present. According to Rail.co, a website that covers developments in the railway industry, Amtrak had 53 percent of the market on the lucrative New York-Boston route in 2010, which should have increased in 2011, if the trend of the last decade were to continue. If the market share is so high now, in spite of Acela's drawbacks, then imagine how high it would be if the trains took just over an hour and a half to cover the 240 miles from Boston to New York, as opposed to the three and a half hours it takes now.

There is no excuse for a country that wants to be economically competitive, attract business, and stand as an example to the rest of the world to squander so much potential. According to USHSR, an advocacy group for high-speed rail, the nationwide development of a high-speed rail network would create hundreds of thousands of jobs, make billions for the U.S. economy, and overall make this a far more productive country. So, what are we waiting for?

Article

Why don't you just do what jebr suggested and go look at the data, rather than finding random articles (and posting in their entirety, which is against the rules)?

Since I'm bored, I pulled the data for the rest of June:

BUF_Delays_June.png

The red line is the 10 minute "on time" standard for trips less than 250 miles (which TWO-BUF is).

Looks like a train the runs on time the majority of the time to me.

If you want to make claims about other trains or other stations, go do the research.

That 53.2 is believable. And that's MAY. Wait till June comes out. Even May is a case of every second train being late. Which totally fits the facts I've posted here. I wonder how many major airlines have an ontime record that low.

Amtrak figures for Lake Shore Limited

Lake Shore Limited On-Time Performance

Major Cities Served

New York/Boston - Albany - Chicago

On-Time Performance (Route)

May 2012 Last 12 Months

61.3% 85.0%

Here's the fun part. How to predict when the 60 percent will be. Cuz if you're in the 40 percent, for you that's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. Your vacation could be ruined. Too bad there isn't an automatic percentage refund for being in the 40 percent. Meaning if you're late, they haven't done the job you paid for. So you should definitely get a discounted rate.

Amtrak figures for Lake Shore Limited

Lake Shore Limited On-Time Performance

Major Cities Served

New York/Boston - Albany - Chicago

On-Time Performance (Route)

May 2012 Last 12 Months

61.3% 85.0%

Here's the fun part. How to predict when the 60 percent will be. Cuz if you're in the 40 percent, for you that's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. Your vacation could be ruined. Too bad there isn't an automatic percentage refund for being in the 40 percent. Meaning if you're late, they haven't done the job you paid for. So you should definitely get a discounted rate.
Technically, you still got what you paid for, per Amtrak's Terms of Transportation. Specifically, in the Disclaimer of Liability:

Amtrak further specifically disclaims liability for any inconvenience, expense, or damages, incidental, consequential, punitive, lost profits, loss business or otherwise, resulting from errors in its timetable, shortages of equipment, or due to delayed trains, except when such delay causes a passenger to miss an Amtrak train guaranteed connection. When a guaranteed Amtrak train connection is missed, Amtrak will provide passenger with alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or provide overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's sole discretion, but only when such circumstances resulted from the actions of Amtrak and this shall constitute Amtrak's sole liability and passenger's sole and exclusive remedy. Some states may not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Now, if you're majorly delayed, should they offer some compensation as a courtesy (or to buy goodwill, so to speak)? Possibly (I'd argue they should if there was a major delay...no less than two hours late to your final destination.) But you paid for transportation from point A to point B. (By the way, this is standard across the transportation industry.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back