Midwest High Speed Rail conference

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The event was successful.

The keynote speaker was George Chilson of NARP, who spoke for about an hour on the critical issues facing Amtrak today.

We also had the IL DOT secretary (name escapes me at the moment, and I don't feel like looking up the agenda to see exactly what it is...okay found it: Timothy Martin) speak about some things, such as the CHI-STL corridor. He did make one disturbing comment that certain Chicago-west coast, east coast, New Orleans, and "Florida" trains were not efficient and should be scrutinized (and one attendee decided to speak to that comment and set him straight on the matter).

There were a couple of other speakers as well, speaking to smaller (local transit and regional commuter rail) issues.

Rick Harnish did a wonderful job putting the program together.

I'd encourage anyone on this forum to join the organization (even if you're not from the Midwest), or a similar one in your region if you are so inclined.

I did my advocacy for the day by placing brochures in the seatbacks in my coach on the trip home.

Back