Midwest Fall Colors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jackie

Hi,

I love rail travel and am looking for routes through the midwest that offer best viewing for fall colors.

Aloha

The midwest doesn't give me any thoughts of Fall collors but having gone from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder in July 2001, I would like to see that route in both Fall and Winter. Also think I would like to see the Northern part of the Coast Starlight and the California Zephyr. :p

Also I would expect a lot of support for the Northeast. :p

Maybe the California Zypher in the Colorado Rockies. The Cardinal East Bound through the New River Gorge and the Appalachians. Your best bet is probably in the North East like the Vermonter or the Ethan Allen.

The midwest not have Fall colors? Take the Empire Builder eastbound, especially the route as it follows the Mississippi River, during October or November. There will be plenty of Fall colors to see.

edit: during several weeks in October 2005, the eastbound Empire Builder will detour over the BNSF St. Paul - Chicago main. This means that there will be several more hours of viewing the Mississippi river valley, complete with fall colors, this year.

Back