Metropolitan Lounge Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What can I expect at the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago? Is it like the Acela Lounge in Boston? Thanks!

It's a fairly large room, but can get crowded early afternoon with folks waiting for the western trains. It has nice comfortable chairs and sofas, plenty of big screen TVs and a self service area for soda, coffee and sometimes light snacks such as chips. And the toilets are clean too :)

It is similar. More than anything, it's a comfortable place to wait!
Yes...IF you can find a place to sit! Too many rude folks taking up space by putting their carry on luggage on seats next to them, instead of on the floor, where it belongs! :angry:
9 times out of 10 in a situation like this, if you say "Is anyone sitting here", they will quickly move their stuff. If they are really embarrassed, they will move themselves also.

It is similar. More than anything, it's a comfortable place to wait!
Yes...IF you can find a place to sit! Too many rude folks taking up space by putting their carry on luggage on seats next to them, instead of on the floor, where it belongs! :angry:
9 times out of 10 in a situation like this, if you say "Is anyone sitting here", they will quickly move their stuff. If they are really embarrassed, they will move themselves also.
And if they don't move it, go find an attendant and ask them to help the person move it.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'll be taking the EB for the first time to SEA, and just wanted to know what to expect. Again thanks to all!

What can I expect at the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago? Is it like the Acela Lounge in Boston? Thanks!
Aloha

Here a Panorama from a few years ago.

35845291_fS39h-S.jpg

Hope this gives you an Idea

I've never seen any free newspapers, and at least once the Wi-Fi was down when we were there.

GregL

When I went last Valentine's Day, I was reading one of several newspapers that was left on a table there. I dont know if a fellow rider left them there or if they were put there by the staff. Either way, in my experience I saw some.

No, no free newspapers... they do have a magazine rack with some old magazines in it.

I do like the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago though... I use it all the time with having the Select Plus status the past couple of years. It's nice to be able to grab a tea or coffee even if you're connecting between Metra trains or whatever. The real perk is the bathrooms. The regular bathrooms in Chicago are N-A-S-T-Y and often times have people sleeping in the stalls... the ML bathroom seems to be cleaned... or atleast checked on atleast once an hour that its open.

But a few steps from the Metropolitan Lounge is a good news stand, where you can get both local papers and the nationals, even the London Financial Times.

I have always felt a little bit of "snob" in me when I have used the First Class Lounges. Chicago's really kicks! The general waiting area for the poor people is usually jam packed! :lol: I use both in Chicago, I've used to to catch another LD train but alot of times am going coach from CHI to LNK so I don't get to use the lounge and really miss doing so. So , SO much quieter!

Of the two first class lounges I have been in Chicago's is the best. Lot's better then the one in Washington DC.

Perhaps it has just been during the times I've been there, but it seems to also be pretty easy to strike up a conversation in the ML-CHI than in any of the other similar Club Acelas. I'm sure it's due to the fact that those in the ML are probably waiting in there for much longe periods of time than those on the East Coast and don't mind chatting it up. The Club Acelas are, by comparison, various business oriented and even in WAS, I saw very few children and families. From a strict amenities standpoint, I like BOS and NYP better but CHI seems to be more social and friendly.

I've been in the lounge several times. It is comfortable but it does get busy. The WiFi is quite good but the terminal is very slow. I like the cranberry soda and

pretzels. My only negative comment is that some people will sit by the TV's and talk on their cell phones or to others and it is difficult to hear the TV.

i've been in the lounge on passes. I use firefox so the wi-fi was fine. not slow at all the one time i used it. now the computers at club acela are slooooooooooow sense they use Internet explorer. i didn't try the wi-fi if it has any.

The CA's do have Wi-Fi. In fact that's what I was using with my laptop when we were in the CA on Monday morning. :)

I've been in the lounge several times. It is comfortable but it does get busy. The WiFi is quite good but the terminal is very slow. I like the cranberry soda andpretzels. My only negative comment is that some people will sit by the TV's and talk on their cell phones or to others and it is difficult to hear the TV.
Just in the lounge day before yesterday, the computer had to be rebooted several times by staff (the redcap @ the baggage room seemed to be the "computer wizard" since the ladies A the desk didnt have a clue! It is very slow!

As to the rest of the posts, yeah, it gets very crowded in the PM when all the LD train pax are hanging out waitng, and the users of cellphones do seem to be extremely loud but it could be because they are "older" and hard of hearing! Hate to say it but the complainers seem to out number the happy travelers in this lounge!

Most of the time the amenities are good, its clean,convient,pretty good boarding service from such a hectic station, its my second favorite after Boston!

I was in the PDX lounge for the first time this week, and while small, found it very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back