Metrolink EMD F125 "Spirit" Locomotive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the rear windows are for hostler controls, what exactly IS hostler controls? Is it the control stand at the rear of the loco?

If the rear windows are for hostler controls, what exactly IS hostler controls? Is it the control stand at the rear of the loco?
yep, and the maximum speed was limited to 15 mph on the p40 locomotives while that control stand was in use.

Cody, why would they need a hostler control stand if they already have a control stand at the front of the loco?

When backing up, the engineer could just simply stick his head out the window and look back, or look in the rearview mirrors.

Cody, why would they need a hostler control stand if they already have a control stand at the front of the loco?

When backing up, the engineer could just simply stick his head out the window and look back, or look in the rearview mirrors.
They have ~60 feet of locomotive between the rear coupler and the main controls. The hostler controls allow for easier sight lines when coupling to their cars. This is the same reason that freight trains when coupling have someone on the ground near the coupler giving instructions to the engineer.

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof.

Meanwhile EMD is apparently so late that they have already reached the maximum liquidated damages, so they are unlikely to deliver anything further until all issues are resolved. So everyone is sitting around the one hangar queen in possession of Metrolink (905) and apparently another one sitting in Pueblo, which is yet to complete the testing for certification, for issues to resolve first.

Seems like shades of CAF repeating itself here.

It's not as simple as sticking your head out a window or looking in the side mirrors.

Run an engine long hood forward and you will quickly understand.

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof. Meanwhile EMD is apparently so late that they have already reached the maximum liquidated damages, so they are unlikely to deliver anything further until all issues are resolved. So everyone is sitting around the one hangar queen in possession of Metrolink (905) and apparently another one sitting in Pueblo, which is yet to complete the testing for certification, for issues to resolve first. Seems like shades of CAF repeating itself here.
God Bless America.

I do wonder how long EMD will continue. This is not their first major mis-step in the last several years and Cat has shown signs that they might be willing to pull the plug on it. At the very least, the competition for passenger locomotives is very strong in the usa and this could kill that department for EMD.

I do wonder how long EMD will continue. This is not their first major mis-step in the last several years and Cat has shown signs that they might be willing to pull the plug on it. At the very least, the competition for passenger locomotives is very strong in the usa and this could kill that department for EMD.
EMD has already been withdrawn from use as a brand, though they do still make many freight locomotives.

EMD has already been withdrawn from use as a brand, though they do still make many freight locomotives.
Yes, though the whole tier 4 transition has been a disaster for EMD too. Progress Rail is a better brand, so it might help reboot EMD even if it's no longer called EMD.

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof.
With everybody owning everybody else these days, isn't it already quite common that parts are sourced from competitors in the industry? I don't think this situation is totally unprecedented nor unresolvable.

And whereas Stadler may now be building locomotives for the European market, they are not supplying any in the US market nor planning to, so I don't see an immediate conflict of interest.

I suppose we can all agree that the observed fact is that nothing is forthcoming from EMD in the near future. To what extent that is due to the Vossloh issue falls most likely in the speculation category AFAICT. The known potential conflict of interest is in Stadler's desire to sell DMU's rather than push passenger diesel locomotives in the US. But whether that is the cause of reduced enthusiasm on part of Vossloh to engage with EMD, or just their desire to milk EMD for all that they are worth or something else, who knows? Again, what people involved with EMD's Muncie Plant have observed is that Muncie is struggling with the F-125 and is not getting the support at present from Vossloh that they desire.

With everybody owning everybody else these days, isn't it already quite common that parts are sourced from competitors in the industry? I don't think this situation is totally unprecedented nor unresolvable.

And whereas Stadler may now be building locomotives for the European market, they are not supplying any in the US market nor planning to, so I don't see an immediate conflict of interest.
However EMD does make locomotives for the European market, so there is a conflict there.

peter

Just saw it pass by my work. I heard its somewhat distinctive horn in the distance so I knew what was coming. It has been passing by late at night the past couple nights; heading out around 10-ish or so & coming back after 2am (last night it called it quits early and headed back before 1).

Today when I saw it a couple minutes ago, I thought it was just gonna be doing more testing, but no, it stopped at the station in the San Gabriel Valley and accepted passengers. It had a proper Metrolink locomotive behind it (sorry, I dont know any of the technical terms lol).

I took a pic of it through the fence but it's a bad pic so I wont bother posting.

Imo this locomotive is ugly, but not as bad as some of the current Metrolink ones that look like theyve been smashed in the head with a shovel LOL!!

The horn is odd sounding...when i first heard it I thought it was broken. Not a very good horn imo but again, better than some of Metrolink's other ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back