Metroliner First Class vs. Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mikey

I'll be travelling on the NEC in July and this will be my first trip since the Acela has been taken out of service. I usually take two trips per year and like to splurge and ride in Acela's First Class section between WAS and NYP. But I've never been in a Metroliner, so I've got a few questions about service.

Can I expect the same Acela amenities? Specifically, does Metroliner's First Class service include:

* an above-average hot dinner?

* free booze, including single-malt scotch?

* 2x1 seating with electrical outlets at each seat?

* well-regulated temperature? (as opposed to Regional's stifling hot or freezing cold cars)

* above-average service attendants?

Thanks for any advice!

Effective 1 June (which could be today depending on what time zone you're in as I type this), Amtrak is downgrading the Metroliner First Class service, and hot meals will no longer be sold. I couldn't tell you about the booze. Seating is 2-1, and there should be plugs available at the seat.

The car will be staffed by a single attendant, from what I understand (vs. Acela's three attendants). Don't know about temperature of the cars, but they're typical Amfleets, for what it's worth.

rmadisonwi said:
Effective 1 June (which could be today depending on what time zone you're in as I type this)
Sorry, but May has 31 days... :lol:

It's unfortunate that we have to cope with another downgrade of amenties...I can't remember the last time that they were upgraded. But hey, I guess in the end it doesn't matter as long as the train still runs.

* an above-average hot dinner? No. Cold food only.

* free booze, including single-malt scotch? Yes, specifics vary.

* 2x1 seating with electrical outlets at each seat? Yes, outlets available at each seat

* well-regulated temperature? (as opposed to Regional's stifling hot or freezing cold cars) No: same old Amfleet HVAC.

* above-average service attendants? No. Average. Seniority based staffing with quality variable from great to not so great.

Viewliner said:
Well, I just got back from a trip to Toronto (had to fly there and back, unfortunately), and didn't get much sleep. Plus, I've been confused about the actual date for the last week. So, that's my excuse.

rmadisonwi said:
Viewliner said:
Well, I just got back from a trip to Toronto (had to fly there and back, unfortunately), and didn't get much sleep. Plus, I've been confused about the actual date for the last week. So, that's my excuse.
Don't worry Mr. Madison I thought Today was Wenesday so welcome to the club.

rmadisonwi said:
Effective 1 June (which could be today depending on what time zone you're in as I type this), Amtrak is downgrading the Metroliner First Class service, and hot meals will no longer be sold. I couldn't tell you about the booze. Seating is 2-1, and there should be plugs available at the seat.
The car will be staffed by a single attendant, from what I understand (vs. Acela's three attendants). Don't know about temperature of the cars, but they're typical Amfleets, for what it's worth.
Having just completed a ride on Metroliner #2250, I can tell you that some of this was pure rumor, either that or Amtrak quickly realized the stupidity of this move.

My train did indeed only have one attendant. However, I did still receive hot food and it was still served to me at my seat. Sadly it was not typical Acela First Class food, it was typical Amtrak comissary food items. But again, one did still receive food service at their seat.

The booze flowed freely to all who wanted it, and all the normal non-alcoholic beverages were available also.

By the way, just for FYI purposes, Acela never sold meals in first class. That was always part of the price for the ticket. Additionally, Acela service attendants varied depending on the load. Most common was 2 or 3, probably almost tied, however there were a few occasions where I did have only 1 attendant on an Acela First Class ride.

Back