Maryland Style Crab

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
Has anyone tried these yet? As person who grew up in the Mid Atlantic area, I have a high standard of crabcake and typically am hesitant to order them out. However, these have Tom Douglas's name attached to them. For those of you who don't know him, he is an outstanding chef (originally from Delaware but currently lives in the NW - Seattle area I believe). In fact, he wrote an entire cookbook based on crabcakes.

I was out in Seattle this past weekend & stumbled into one of restaurants for breakfast. It was a little pricey for breakfast but an amazing meal - definitely one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. As mentioned above, I typically don't order seafood at locations I don't trust, but this has me very curious.

I'm just hoping someone out here can give me some feedback!

Has anyone tried these yet?
Maybe the first hint should be the typo on the menu: "Mayland Style Crab Cakes"

I grew up in MaRyland and make my own crab cakes. Amtrak's crab cakes are okay, but compared to home, there is something missing, IMHO.

And if they wanted to consult a chef on MaRyland style crab cakes, it should have been John Shields. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they're surprisingly good. As a former Marylander and current Seattle resident, I think I can say that with some expertise. They wouldn't win the prize at a Maryland crab house, but you should try them.

Here's my description and a picture from my recent trip on the EB. On that train, they're being served for breakfast, which is a bit unusual, but I enjoyed what I got.

Had them on 20 last night... they were good, but nothing special.

How's the portion size?
I had them for dinner on #5 a couple of months ago and there they served two good sized cakes. Like virtually all Amtrak diner meals, it filled me up. For some reason they serve them with a gussied up cocktail sauce instead of a more traditional simple tarter sauce. I got the SA to bring me a couple of packets of mayonaise and used it, along with the juice from the lemon wedge, to make do.

Like the poster above said, two good sized cakes, though I had to ask for sauce.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Like several of you, I grew up in Delaware & have certain crabcake that I think of as "the holy grail" of crabcakes. But same with steak and several other foods. I don't expect the meal on the train to compete with the Palm or Ruth Chris but I also don't want to be stuck on a train with an upset stomach.

Thanks to all your advice - I think I will give them a shot on my trip later this month.

Chamilton - we ate breakfast at Lola in downtown Seattle. Wow what a great meal and the bacon was epic!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Like several of you, I grew up in Delaware & have certain crabcake that I think of as "the holy grail" of crabcakes. But same with steak and several other foods. I don't expect the meal on the train to compete with the Palm or Ruth Chris but I also don't want to be stuck on a train with an upset stomach.

Thanks to all your advice - I think I will give them a shot on my trip later this month.

Chamilton - we ate breakfast at Lola in downtown Seattle. Wow what a great meal and the bacon was epic!
My daughter had the crab cakes all three nights we were on the trains last November (CL/CZ). I had them the 1st night and the last night (splitting them with her this time). I wanted to try the steak (which was good) the 2nd night. By the third night, we both were stuffed which is why we split the crab cakes between us. Not as good as some crab cakes I've gotten here in DE and MD, but pretty good for being on a train.

Yes, they're surprisingly good. As a former Marylander and current Seattle resident, I think I can say that with some expertise. They wouldn't win the prize at a Maryland crab house, but you should try them.

Here's my description and a picture from my recent trip on the EB. On that train, they're being served for breakfast, which is a bit unusual, but I enjoyed what I got.
Was it the breakfast special? I'm not seeing it on the standard menu (for the EB eastbound)

Was it the breakfast special? I'm not seeing it on the standard menu (for the EB eastbound)
I think it may have been. I know that the server told me it was a new menu, but I don't actually recall seeing it printed there.

Let us know what you think!

And after looking at Chamilton's picture of his crab cake breakfast special, I can understand why it was so good. That much hollandaise sauce would have been just the ticket!

How long have they been serving these particular crab cakes?

I had excellent crab cakes on the Auto Train in 2010 and other LDTs in years prior. They were small but delicious.

This April, the crab cakes on 49 were abhorrent. I could have sworn there was imitation crab meat mixed in with all the filler.

Has anyone tried these yet? As person who grew up in the Mid Atlantic area, I have a high standard of crabcake and typically am hesitant to order them out.
You and me both!!! They have had them on the AT on occasion, but they were small, and usually with no lump meat. But, thankfully, not so

*overfilled* with breading either.

Have you ever done the "Bay Lady" cruise, up/down Baltimore Harbour for 4 hours each trip? (Supposedly), all the crabs you can eat, but

they are metered, in reality. I think the Phillips Crab House chain still has the stuff. Unfortunately, the small restaurant that made them

near where I live folded. It's gettin' harder and harder to get good crab cakes and good BBQ up here!!! :angry2:

How's the portion size?
I had them for dinner on #5 a couple of months ago and there they served two good sized cakes. Like virtually all Amtrak diner meals, it filled me up. For some reason they serve them with a gussied up cocktail sauce instead of a more traditional simple tarter sauce. I got the SA to bring me a couple of packets of mayonaise and used it, along with the juice from the lemon wedge, to make do.

What part of MaRyland did you come from where they traditionally serve tartar sauce with a crab cake? In 42 years in Baltimore, that's just weird to me. A good crabcake doesn't need any kind of "sauce".

How's the portion size?

What part of MaRyland did you come from where they traditionally serve tartar sauce with a crab cake? In 42 years in Baltimore, that's just weird to me. A good crabcake doesn't need any kind of "sauce".
Y'all eat weird crabcakes up north.

How's the portion size?

No, that's just it. We eat CRABcakes. Not tartar sauce cakes. And certainly not cocktail sauce cakes. Save the cocktail sauce for your shrimp and the (shudder) tartar sauce for your Filet-o-Fish ;)

How's the portion size?

No, that's just it. We eat CRABcakes. Not tartar sauce cakes. And certainly not cocktail sauce cakes. Save the cocktail sauce for your shrimp and the (shudder) tartar sauce for your Filet-o-Fish ;)
Well isn't THAT special. :lol:

How's the portion size?

Well isn't THAT special. :lol:
If the crabcake is good, you don't need sauce to flavor it up.

If the crabcake is good, you don't need sauce to flavor it up.
Precisely! Just enough seasoning ("Old" Old Bay - not that <expletive> McCormick makes now :ph34r: - I still have an original tin of it :D ), a little mustard and Worcestershire, and that should do it. Broil or Fry (your choice) and serve them immediately. You want the crab flavor to come out more than anything.

Anyone in the Baltimore area know this place - "Faidleys?" Supposed to have a killer crab cake sandwich. I assume you can also get them as "entrees."

Old Bay covers up the flavor of the crab. So does mustard. Neither are in my cakes.
Me - I'll take crab cakes any time they are offered - mediocre to excellent - but no sauce - maybe a dab of mayo on the side.

We in the midwest don't get much chance at even mediocre seafood. Even so-so crab cakes sounds real good to me.

And I'll betcha that "Minnesota style" lutefisk won't be on any Amtrak menu any time soon, if ever:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back