Lower Calorie Selections-Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootman4U

Train Attendant
I guess I'll actually find out "the" answer to this question when I take the Empire Builder from Portland to Chicago later this week but thought I'd ask here anyway.

The last time i took an AMTRAK LD train (the Zephyr) someone in a trip report had described the food as "a cut above Denny's" and I'm not sure I would have even gone that far but yes, I know, it is all very subjective.

THIS time around I am on an increased exercise/decreased calorie regime. I know there won't be much exercise opportunity and I'm prepared with various special snacks to eat instead of fat-laden meals (yes, i am in a sleeping car) but am curious about the actual dining car menus (yes, I've looked at the "samples")...assume there is some sort of salad offering at lunch and dinner and perhaps even some sort of vegetarian possibilities.

Afraid this time around I'll have to forego the french toast, etc., in the morning but that will help me live another day to take more trips in the future...if anyone has any helpful comments about what the meal offerings are REALLY like I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and about that "cold" selection between Portland and Seattle..what's that like????

Thanks.

I cannot help you much with recommendations for low calorie selections. I have food sensitivities and find it difficult to find healthy choices that I am able to eat. I always bring healthy snacks and fruit with me just in case there are no good choices in the dining car.

I have only been on the Empire Builder between CHI and MSP and I recall the food being better than on the Silver trains (which I usually take).

Since I normally work out every day, I bring exercise "equipment" with me on the train (jump rope, yoga strap, exercise tube). Depending on the time of day, I sometimes take my jump rope outside during a smoking stop and get a bit of cardio exercise. I do get some strange looks, but it is certainly more healthy than smoking and I do not feel so bad when I eat dessert. I travel either in a roomette or bedroom, so there is usually some room to exercise inside - but not jump rope.

I guess I'll actually find out "the" answer to this question when I take the Empire Builder from Portland to Chicago later this week but thought I'd ask here anyway.
The last time i took an AMTRAK LD train (the Zephyr) someone in a trip report had described the food as "a cut above Denny's" and I'm not sure I would have even gone that far but yes, I know, it is all very subjective.

THIS time around I am on an increased exercise/decreased calorie regime. I know there won't be much exercise opportunity and I'm prepared with various special snacks to eat instead of fat-laden meals (yes, i am in a sleeping car) but am curious about the actual dining car menus (yes, I've looked at the "samples")...assume there is some sort of salad offering at lunch and dinner and perhaps even some sort of vegetarian possibilities.

Afraid this time around I'll have to forego the french toast, etc., in the morning but that will help me live another day to take more trips in the future...if anyone has any helpful comments about what the meal offerings are REALLY like I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and about that "cold" selection between Portland and Seattle..what's that like????

Thanks.
Just eat. Worrying about your diet while travelling increases your stress and damages your health more than the "unhealthy" food does. And dude, you can excersize quite easily on trains.

I am on a restricted diet as well and one of my complaints other than the quality of some foods is that for a service that seems to have a fairly large elderly population they seem to ignore that diabetes and heart disease is rampant. I am not talking not offering tasty foods for passengers but it would be a nice touch to offer "sugar free" syrup for pancakes or french toast. Some lower carb or fat selections, at least one per meal service would seem reasonable.

I find that the breakfast I can do best with the the "continental I think they call it". It comes with a choice of cereal, which the raisin brand is the best choice, fiber and carb wise and no fat to speak of. It comes with juice and normally the waiter will allow for a couple slices of bacon with it for protein. You also get a roll and fruit but you don't have to eat it all. Most evening meals offer chicken or a meat dish with vegetables which can be managed fairly well. Here again a no fat low sugar dressing offering would be nice. They may have had one choice of that among the packets of dressing but I can't recall.

When we rode the Empire Builder the schedule had some rather lengthy stops, some up to an hour which a number of passengers spent walking back and forth along the train for exercise. Some did it at every long stop. I think there were about four of them on the trip.

I am on a restricted diet as well and one of my complaints other than the quality of some foods is that for a service that seems to have a fairly large elderly population they seem to ignore that diabetes and heart disease is rampant. I am not talking not offering tasty foods for passengers but it would be a nice touch to offer "sugar free" syrup for pancakes or french toast. Some lower carb or fat selections, at least one per meal service would seem reasonable.
I find that the breakfast I can do best with the the "continental I think they call it". It comes with a choice of cereal, which the raisin brand is the best choice, fiber and carb wise and no fat to speak of. It comes with juice and normally the waiter will allow for a couple slices of bacon with it for protein. You also get a roll and fruit but you don't have to eat it all. Most evening meals offer chicken or a meat dish with vegetables which can be managed fairly well. Here again a no fat low sugar dressing offering would be nice. They may have had one choice of that among the packets of dressing but I can't recall.

When we rode the Empire Builder the schedule had some rather lengthy stops, some up to an hour which a number of passengers spent walking back and forth along the train for exercise. Some did it at every long stop. I think there were about four of them on the trip.
As with many food service companies, Amtrak holds focus groups concerning the type of food that passengers want to see on the train. As usual, people ask for low fat, low cholestorol and healthy food, but when that is introduced on board, very few people purchase or ask for that type of menu item and it goes to waste and is eventually removed. America continues to ask for healthy food, but take a good look at what has been introduced lately by the fast food outlets - triple burgers, giant sandwiches, fat-laden fries, etc, etc.

I think most people "speak with a forked tongue" when this is being discussed!!

Thanks.
You mean Portland and Spokane, right?

Going the other way, breakfast consisted of a ham and cheese croissant sandwich (very tasty) and a blueberry tart-like device, yogurt and fruit - tasty and healthy.

I think that the dinner going the other way is a salad, so you should be in good shape.

I wouldn't call the food "cut above Denny's" either, I think that it's far better than that. I haven't had a bad meal yet on this trip!

I wouldn't call the food "cut above Denny's" either, I think that it's far better than that. I haven't had a bad meal yet on this trip!
I am going to agree with the OP that a cut above Denny's is pushing it. That is not to say that the food is bad, but it is nothing to write home about.

As with many food service companies, Amtrak holds focus groups concerning the type of food that passengers want to see on the train. As usual, people ask for low fat, low cholestorol and healthy food, but when that is introduced on board, very few people purchase or ask for that type of menu item and it goes to waste and is eventually removed. America continues to ask for healthy food, but take a good look at what has been introduced lately by the fast food outlets - triple burgers, giant sandwiches, fat-laden fries, etc, etc.

I think most people "speak with a forked tongue" when this is being discussed!!
LOL-I worked in market research and that is so true! It is amazing what healthy, wholesome choices people make on surveys! I don't eat any meat but fish and prefer low-fat, low-sugar foods and on EB from Chi to Seattle and back I managed just fine. I had a bedroom, which means I didn't have to rely on the snack car. Plus, as some PP's mentioned, it is good to take some healthy snacks to tide you over in a pinch (this applies to every means of transportation!). Have a wonderful time, and not to worry.

About "excercising on a train", all you have to do is walk up and down the cars! And if you're in the PDX sleeper, you must walk thru

1. Your sleeper
  2. a PDX coach
  3. a 2nd PDX coach
  4. the Sightseer Lounge
  5. a SEA coach
  6. a 2nd SEA coach
just to reach the Dining Car! ;) To get to the Sightseer, just remove #5 & #6!

I'd call that "exercising"! :D

"Just eat. Worrying about your diet while travelling increases your stress and damages your health more than the "unhealthy" food does. And dude, you can excersize quite easily on trains."

I am sorry but I cannot seem to find anywhere in my original post where I said anything about "unhealthy food" but perhaps this was some sort of Freudian thing on your part.

To all those who offered constructive advice, it is appreciated.

About "excercising on a train", all you have to do is walk up and down the cars! And if you're in the PDX sleeper, you must walk thru
  1. Your sleeper
  2. a PDX coach
  3. a 2nd PDX coach
  4. the Sightseer Lounge
  5. a SEA coach
  6. a 2nd SEA coach

I suspect the calorie burn from the 420-foot walk to the dining car would not quite offset the calorie intake in the dining car. Now, if they would rip out the seats in half the Sightseer and put in some treadmills, then we would have something. :cool:

I suspect the calorie burn from the 420-foot walk to the dining car would not quite offset the calorie intake in the dining car. Now, if they would rip out the seats in half the Sightseer and put in some treadmills, then we would have something. :cool:
But between when you start the 420-foot walk and when you reach the dining car, the train could have moved a few miles closer to CHI/PDX! :lol: Doesn't that count? :huh:

For breakfast Amtrak did add a sugar-free syrup awhile back. The continental breakfast is likely the best option if watching the calories. There is an entree salad for lunch but not for dinner. You could ask the LSA to ask the chef if they'd make up an entree salad for you for dinner. You could also get by quite well with just a baked potato and a hearty serving of vegetables for dinner, I do. Obviously if you are watching calories then skip the desserts. If all else fails, remember, you aren't required to eat at every meal during the trip.

The special menu requests that Amtrak has consists of the Vegan or Kosher meals. These must be asked for 72 hours in advance through reservations. These are simply microwavable entrees and I've never tried one. I've seen it written somewhere that the Vegan selection is generally also considered low sodium.

Last edited by a moderator:
...But between when you start the 420-foot walk and when you reach the dining car, the train could have moved a few miles closer to CHI/PDX! :lol: Doesn't that count? :huh:
Hmm. You've got a point, there. This sounds like a high school physics problem:

- A person walks 420 feet in a train moving at 79 mph.

- Walking speed is 3 feet per second.

- The person is walking from the rear of the train toward the front (that makes a difference).

- Find the total distance travelled by that person from the start to the end of the walk.

For extra credit:

- Add the distance for a five minute toilet stop en route.

...But between when you start the 420-foot walk and when you reach the dining car, the train could have moved a few miles closer to CHI/PDX! :lol: Doesn't that count? :huh:

- The person is walking from the rear of the train toward the front (that makes a difference).

- Find the total distance travelled by that person from the start to the end of the walk.

For extra credit:

:)

Hitchhiker's Guide

You may want to call Amtrak & ask for special meals. Usually the "salad" is a small side salad. Not enough to fill a bunny rabbit!
where can one view the menu of "special meals" ?
I believe the special meals are to accommodate individual passengers. Such as diabetic or kosher meals (I'm sure there are other reasons). You have to call Amtrak to request them. Info on Amtrak.com

...assume there is some sort of salad offering at lunch and dinner and perhaps even some sort of vegetarian possibilities.
I just took the Empire Builder from Portland to Milwaukee last week. I was watching calories too (at least a little!) and I can tell you the lunch salad was large and very satisfying. I used the Light Italian dressing, only 80 calories for the entire packet and it was good. You can order the salad with cut-up breaded chicken tenders if you like. I tried it both ways and I preferred my salad without the chicken.

Also offered was a veggie burger, but I didn't try that one.

Have a great trip!

For extra credit:

:)

Hitchhiker's Guide
Points off - no units.

Doc_L, retired Physics & Chem teacher

1. Your sleeper
  2. a PDX coach
  3. a 2nd PDX coach
  4. the Sightseer Lounge
  5. a SEA coach
  6. a 2nd SEA coach

Especially on some of the tracks through North Dakota and Montana - you'll use every muscle in your body just walk a straight line! When people would walk by from the wine tasting, apologize for being thrown into my seat, and swear they didn't have too much to drink, I would just joke with them saying "No problem - on these rails it's the ones that are walking straight that you have to watch out for!"

I could have sworn that I'd posted in here a while ago, but I guess not.

Last year, I lost about 30 pounds (on top of an earlier 60) through extreme caloric-dieting. I've since gone back to eating "normally" but I'm still watching my intake to ensure I don't gain any of that weight back. That said, I've been doing a good deal of LD riding this year, and I've asked a few crews if they have this information available. I got lucky a while ago on the Lakeshore, where the head-chef pulled a "service-guide" out of a cupboard. I've managed to get some brief looks at it, both there and the other day on the Starlight, and here's what I've found thus far.

For Breakfast...

French Toast: 400 Calories

Pancakes (EB): 160 Calories

Eggs: 150 Calories

Egg Substitute: 40-60 calories (need to look again

Breakfast Potatoes: add 145 Calories

Biscuit: add 185 Calories

Croissant: add 230 Calories

Oatmeal: 140 Calories

Yogurt (Dannon Light N' Fit): 60 Calories

Grapefruit: 25 Calories

Egg & Cheese Sourdough Special: 470 Calories

For Lunch:

I've seen two Salads: A Ceasar that, undressed, has 50 Calories, and a Waldorf that, dressed, has 680

Side Salad: 20 Calories

Ciabatta Roll: 100 Calories

Black Bean Burger: 210* calories (I'm assuming this is for the patty only and doesn't include the buns, which add another ~200 calories)

I'll be on the sunset and the Texas Eagle in a few days and if I can get another look at the book, I'll add more information here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back