Lounge in New Orleans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chicagocrooza

We will be getting off the cruise in New Orleans and probably head straight to the terminal for our train back to Chicago, the departure is going to be at 1:45pm, would like to know if there's a lounge we can use before board the train?

Thanks heaps

Yes, it is the Magnolia Room. Reviews I have read aren't overly positive, but it is better than nothing.

Ugh. That font.

5200327462_521bc9ed29.jpg

Check in at the regular ticket counter for the combo to the Magnolia Room door. You have to stand in line to check in at the counter anyway, since the room is not staffed. They will come and get everyone (and bring redcaps as needed) when the train is ready to board.

You'll find coffee, pastries, newspapers etc in the Magnolia Room, but in my experience when the coffee carafe is empty, no one refills it.

SarahZ, thanks for the pix.
Actually the Magnolia Lounge (there's no Magnolias there! :giggle: ) was Remodeled Last Year, (including having Indoor Restrooms/after Katrina the Station was used as a Jail and the Prisoners trashed the Joint resulting in Port-a-Potties outside for several years!) As has been said , it's Small but a Nice place to keep your Luggage, havesome Coffee or Water and watch a Little TV while Waiting! It's, Frst Come ,First Served, but the Conductor or Amtrak Police Offcier will take you to the Boarding Door ahead of the Coach passengers who Line up in the Lobby by the Bus Station Like Waiting Area! (Union Station is shared with Greyhound!) It's probably @ the Bottom of the Amtrak Lounge List!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized the printing isn't level. It goes uphill.
That Amtrak logo looks a little "off-model," too -- seems to be compressed horizontally, and I don't think it's the "official" shade of blue, either.
Do you see all of the white around the second line? I thought it was Photoshopped at first.

I need a hobby...

The Magnolia Room was nothing special, The name sounds fancy, but a comparison to a day room in a nursing home hit the nail right on the hear. It was better then sitting in the station but was way over-hyped. I was in the Acela lounge in DC once and it doesn't even compare.

We checked in as sleeper passengers and we're not offered to go to the magnolia room. The last time I was in there it was nothing special- compared to the one in Philly. I was able to board early in NO because there are 2 separate lines. Magnolia room nothing special, we just sat out in the waiting room with everybody else.

As everyone else says, it's really nothing special - it's actually ugly, jmo.

There isn't a comfortable seat in the whole joint and it get crowded to the point where people will stand.

It's not that awful in the station, get out there and at least get a seat.

I'm not a fan of the station but when it's close to boarding time, there are a ton of people there and it's far from scary.

When I/we get off a cruise, we take a cab to the station, check our bags at the counter - I seriously can't remember how much it is but it's not free.

I/we head out to the 49 UPT-Loyola Streetcar bay on the south side of the station and spend some time in the city and get something decent to eat.

Easy enough to get back in time to board.

If you're interested in extending your vacation a little bit, check out info on the 49 Streetcar in this thread: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/58759-food-service-available-in-new-orleans/

I just realized the printing isn't level. It goes uphill.
That Amtrak logo looks a little "off-model," too -- seems to be compressed horizontally, and I don't think it's the "official" shade of blue, either.
Do you see all of the white around the second line? I thought it was Photoshopped at first.

I need a hobby...
The whole thing looks like a soup sandwich. Ugh.

When you said check your bags, did you mean as a storage before boarding the train or did you mean they would take your bags onto the train for you ?

Sorry again this is the very first we are traveling by train, here are 10 of us and we have 2 rommete and two connecting family rooms

When you said check your bags, did you mean as a storage before boarding the train or did you mean they would take your bags onto the train for you ?

Sorry again this is the very first we are traveling by train, here are 10 of us and we have 2 rommete and two connecting family rooms
Hi there...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that - I meant storage.

You just have to go to the ticket counter and tell them you want to store your bags and they'll tag them and you'll pay.

Then just pick them up 1/2 hour or so before you board the train.

If you're not going to leave the station no need to store anything.

If you want to check any of your bags through to Chicago, you'd do that at the same counter.

You won't have access to that luggage until you get off of the train though.

The walk out of the station to the train isn't long at all.

There are workers driving a couple of carts for people who need assistance but I've never used them.

They're not like the Red Caps in Chicago.

Holy cow! 10 of you?!?! Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back