Lounge in New Orleans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not American, so probably am getting it all wrong, but is Roomette's post anything other than some racist, sexist remark?

Ed. :cool:
Stupid comes to mind.

I wonder why that post gets a pass?

I've had posts deleted for stating my opinion about what I think the loser 14th st yard workers are doing.

Also for using the acronym BS, even though I've seen worse than that.

It seemed to me that someone also thought that me mentioning the name of the now closed, foodie mecca/restaurant El Bulli was name calling.

Actually I should repeat that sentence because it still gets my goat/cabrito :p .

It was in reference to some foodie snobbery going on which prompted me to post that the attitude was something along the lines of 'typical El Bulli BS'

Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 10 of us and we have 2 rommete and two connecting family rooms
There is only 1 family room in each Superliner sleeping car, so there are no connecting family rooms. (There are no family rooms on a Viewliner.) Did you mean 2 connecting bedrooms? :huh:

Yes bedroom D & E and Romette 3 and 4, those are the closest we could get and stay close together.

After a week long cruise vacation, it's always very sad at the end of the trip, but not this time, we will have a train ride back to Chicago, kind of an extension of this vacation, really looking forward to it.

There are 10 of us and we have 2 rommete and two connecting family rooms
There is only 1 family room in each Superliner sleeping car, so there are no connecting family rooms. (There are no family rooms on a Viewliner.) Did you mean 2 connecting bedrooms? :huh:

Yes bedroom D & E and Romette 3 and 4, those are the closest we could get and stay close together.

After a week long cruise vacation, it's always very sad at the end of the trip, but not this time, we will have a train ride back to Chicago, kind of an extension of this vacation, really looking forward to it.
That's exactly why I started cruising out of New Orleans.

I start my vacation with an awesome train trip from CHI - NOL, then spend a night or two in NOLA.

Take a wonderful, relaxing cruise and then, when I get off the ship, enjoy a little more time in NOLA before I train it back to Chicago.

Btw, you mentioned this is your first train trip....

It's close to the same cost per person (maybe more) for a 19 or so hour trip from NOL-CHI as it is per day on a cruise,

It will be a bit of culture shock after having been pampered on a ship with top of the line service without attitude and great food day and night.

The service, food, and accommodations are basic at best but it's still a lot of fun and something new and different to experience.

I never compare the cost of a train trip to a cruise but I did compare a train ride to the cost of taking a southwest flight back to Chicago. It's about the same or may be abit more on the train ride. But I am not in a hurry to get back to Chicago given it is a sat or Sunday arrival plus it is going to be a hell of an experience for a 4 year old old and A 6 year old girl along with 3 in their sixties. Doing this the first time !!!

It was used as a jail? I'm still hearing more horror stories from the Katrina disaster. I still say that if that had happened in Beverly Hills, the 82 Airborne would be there with first aid and rescue within the hour. New Orleans is an American treasure. I hope that we can treat it with respect and pride in the future.

I never compare the cost of a train trip to a cruise but I did compare a train ride to the cost of taking a southwest flight back to Chicago. It's about the same or may be abit more on the train ride. But I am not in a hurry to get back to Chicago given it is a sat or Sunday arrival plus it is going to be a hell of an experience for a 4 year old old and A 6 year old girl along with 3 in their sixties. Doing this the first time !!!
With that attitude, you guys should have a great time.

I was in NO last spring departing for a cruise, and it is a disgrace they obviously "picked" what to rebuild. So many damaged house still standing, so many green fields. I would have expected this sort of thing in Russia, but not America.

Having said that, NO is still my favorite place to visit. If you have time for lunch, try Willie Mae's Scotch House. It's a cab ride, but the best fried chicken you will ever eat.

It's not our first time in nol since Katrina. We will arrive nol late Thursday night. But on Friday, the followings are on my to do list

Cafe du mont for a quick breakfast and coffee

Horse carriage ride by Jackson square

Grab a po boy from Johnny's in French quarter and eat in Jackson square ( hopefully nice and warm)

Walk at the French market

Willie Mae for fried chicken

Drop the old and young back to hotel for their afternoon nap

Go back to French quarter for a beer or cocktail

Dinner at chef Ron's gumbo stop by Metairie.

Went to NOLA last trip to NOL, great place, was seated upstairs, probably because our group was making too much noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back