Los Angeles Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
Hi ~ This is my first post here. I will be traveling round trip over Christmas (12/20--12/29) from Albuquerque, NM to San Diego, CA ~ with a change of trains in L.A.

I am a 65 year old man who walks (somewhat slowly) with a cane. Upon arrival in L.A. (coming and going) how will I be able to find out what gate I need get to for the next leg of my trip? Surfing the internet, I read a post that says you won't know until the last minute before boarding and then it's like a cattle stampede of passengers trying to get to the right gate. But on one of this boards' posts I saw a photo of an "arrival/departure board".

How far from the gate to the train will I need to walk?

Also I have reserved a lower level seat on the Southwest Chief (both ways) as I have problems with stairs. How will I know which car I'm to use? I will be bringing my own food, etc so plan to stay put once on board.

Thank you for being here, and thank you for any help you can give me.

First, welcome to the board! As far as getting to your train, there are Redcaps that can take you directly train side by motorized cart. Ask any uniformed Amtrak employee to direct you to one, if one is not within eyesight upon arrival to LA Union Station. I have found it is well worth it to me and I always tip them, minimally a dollar per bag, more if they go that little extra, that they tote for me. If there is a slight layover between trains, a redcap has taken myself and those traveling with me inside the station, with the promise that they will return to take us to our scheduled train. They have never let me down, and I have traveled through LA Union Station many times. As far as which car you are in, if your car number is not on your ticket, the station you board will either have someone there, or at the very least the car attendant or conductor will direct you to the car you will travel in. No worries! Have a great trip! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

I would ask your car attendant on the Chief to have the conductor radio ahead for a Redcap for you. That way they'll pick you up right at the train when it arrives, drive you down to the waiting area, and then come back and drive you to the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. LA isn't horrible, but if you have some mobility issues it would be well worth the top in my opinion to tip the Redcap for handling luggage and giving you a ride in one of the golf carts.

I agree with what has already been posted on this. LA Union Station can be a little intimidating the first few times you are there because of how busy it is. Just remember to take the initiative to ask an Amtrak crew member for assistance in getting to your train. My experience has been that most Amtrak employees appear a little cold and unapproachable at the stations, but in reality it is just because they are busy. If you ask them for help, they are always willing to do whatever they can. Just don’t be afraid to ask!

I agree that you should let the crew on your train know ahead of time that you would like assistance at the station. Also, give your car attendant a gentle reminder when you are a few hours away from your stop. In fact, speak to the Conductor about it when you first get on the train, and again before you arrive at LA.

There is an arrival/departure board in the main area of the station, but it is several hundred feet away from the platforms, so I would suggest you get a ride on one of the golf carts. There are lots of them running around, so I doubt you will have a problem getting a ride to the main area. As has been mentioned, ask an Amtrak employee to get you a Redcap to help. I do not have any mobility issues, and I even get asked if I want a lift to the platform.

You will have a pleasant trip!

It may also be helpful to know that Amtrak almost always uses tracks 10, 11 and 12 in Los Angeles. So, depending on the timing of your train's arrival, you might be able to stay on the same platform, or at most, go one platform over in order to get the train you need.

I agree with what has already been posted on this. LA Union Station can be a little intimidating the first few times you are there because of how busy it is. Just remember to take the initiative to ask an Amtrak crew member for assistance in getting to your train. My experience has been that most Amtrak employees appear a little cold and unapproachable at the stations, but in reality it is just because they are busy.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'm not shy about talking to strangers. I'd talk to a tree if it stood still long enough. :giggle:

It may also be helpful to know that Amtrak almost always uses tracks 10, 11 and 12 in Los Angeles. So, depending on the timing of your train's arrival, you might be able to stay on the same platform, or at most, go one platform over in order to get the train you need.
I saw a photo on Flickr today of the SWC at Union Station and it was on Track 11. I wondered if that was a clue. Thanks

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to help ease my worries. I've taken AMTRAK long distance about 8 times back in the 70's and 80's, so I'm comfortable with most issues.

And now you've made me comfortable with the worries I had over Union Station and being able to get to my trains on time.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to check things out ahead of time, and know what I'm getting into.

Again, many thanks .....and I really do appreciate you folks.

While waiting to board the SWC in January, I noticed a section of benches reserved for people waiting to ride the golf cart. It was in the direction of the baggage claim area, i.e., opposite the ticket office.

Hi ~ This is my first post here. I will be traveling round trip over Christmas (12/20--12/29) from Albuquerque, NM to San Diego, CA ~ with a change of trains in L.A.

I am a 65 year old man who walks (somewhat slowly) with a cane. Upon arrival in L.A. (coming and going) how will I be able to find out what gate I need get to for the next leg of my trip? Surfing the internet, I read a post that says you won't know until the last minute before boarding and then it's like a cattle stampede of passengers trying to get to the right gate. But on one of this boards' posts I saw a photo of an "arrival/departure board".

How far from the gate to the train will I need to walk?

Also I have reserved a lower level seat on the Southwest Chief (both ways) as I have problems with stairs. How will I know which car I'm to use? I will be bringing my own food, etc so plan to stay put once on board.

Thank you for being here, and thank you for any help you can give me.
This is quite true. You must laugh at the gates, "gate E and gate F". You will quee up at one of these gates, the one marked Pacific Surfliner South. All the display board will say is Gate E or F. There are many Red Caps available near these two gates. When the train is available, they will announce which track to go to, in your case, the Red Cap will drive you down the tunnel and up the ramp to the train. Upon arriving in Los Angeles, look for a Red Cap to take you to the main station as the walk may be taxing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back