Long article about long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, too much talking about the people on the train. I would have liked to read more about the trains and the routes.

Almost stopped reading this...well, I did and just "scanned" through it. Beyond an introduction to the travelers, didn't find everyone's "Peyton Place" in detail worth reading.

The article is about people who travel on trains, and most of them are not foamers like the majority of Amtrak Unlimited posters. From my LD experiences, the article captures very well the world of passengers on the trains, including the foamer included in the article.

It sure was informative! I would have never got all that information from passengers. My hats off to the person that wrote it. It sort of reminded me of families I grew up with on Laclede Ave. in St. Louis. Just good non assuming genuine people, most married, some widow women, that all took care of each other. Went to church, helped in the Mothers/Fathers Club and pancake breakfasts, Lenten Fish Fry's and backyard picnics where the old boys got mildly drunk on Budweiser.

The point is the people described, were just normal everyday people riding on Amtrak. Just like the 1950s/1960s, America used to ride the train, enjoy it and get to know each other, including the families. Yeh, the article rambles a lot and is slow reading, but so does the Sunset Limited.

This NYT article (yes I read it front to back) is fairly typical of the East Coast media once-per-five years reports on train travel. (I've seen a few in the last few decades).

While the much more frequent reports on freeways (awful) commuter rail (tolerable) airlines (intrusive and abusive but get you there on time) and staying at home or going to school (you will be shot) --

Media does what media does - this report is a standard thing that is written every few years at NYT. I've never seen a trip report at WSJ - all WSJ comments on passenger rail go on the opinion page.

I think the few comments on the article so far at NYT are roughly representative of public opinion - but none of the commenters seem to have ridden a train in North or South America in the last quarter century.

The reporter did ride the train - but the reporter is obviously a New Yorker - so all of (Amish, Mennonite, German, border, flyover country, speak with your neighbor) are obviously alien concepts to the reporter.

I'm trying to think of a good response to this feature article before it ages away (and won't appear again on NYT for another half-decade) --

Any ideas to help balance the response at NYT?

It sure was informative! I would have never got all that information from passengers. My hats off to the person that wrote it. It sort of reminded me of families I grew up with on Laclede Ave. in St. Louis. Just good non assuming genuine people, most married, some widow women, that all took care of each other. Went to church, helped in the Mothers/Fathers Club and pancake breakfasts, Lenten Fish Fry's and backyard picnics where the old boys got mildly drunk on Budweiser.
The point is the people described, were just normal everyday people riding on Amtrak. Just like the 1950s/1960s, America used to ride the train, enjoy it and get to know each other, including the families. Yeh, the article rambles a lot and is slow reading, but so does the Sunset Limited.
When I ride the train, I don't do the "reporter" thing -- but the other passengers will sometimes talk - I've met many interesting folks on the train - I'm not a real frequent rider - but long-term.

My daughter - more than 20 years later - remembers the annoying young woman that we shared a diner table with on the CL - who told my then 4-year-old daughter (with the typical arrogance that ignorant adults use to observant young ones)

- that those railcars on the other track were "cattle cars". Daughter still bridles and snarls whenever she hears "cattle cars" -- "maybe in your days, Dada, but those were definitly auto racks - why do such ignorant grownups make up such dumb stories to impress vulnerable children? Huh?"

And she's right --

And -- ignorant but amused media creatures write - not totally unfairly - I'm not knocking the story from the authors point of view - but I, you, any Amtrak rider has a lot more depth of understanding than any one-shot reporter can have.

How to share the reality with the Amtrak-ignorant??

Baffled.

I found the article represented some of the people you find riding in coach. Wife and I have had some interesting conversations with folks when we boarded the LSL and CL. We both are fascinated to meet new people who live in different worlds with which we are accustomed. It only reminds us that there are many troubled souls out there and how lucky we are to be retired, riding Amtrak, and not having nearly the worries of other passengers. :unsure:

It is a different group that those we meet in sleepers. Their stories are many times told from a different perspective, but interesting in themselves.

I found the lounge car on Superliners to be the collection of riders from both perspectives and a super interesting place to hang out in the afternoon.

But as henryJ pointed out--its always good to escape to your room when that time comes.... :p

Thank you for sharing the article; I found it delightful. We are going on our first long distance train trip in a few weeks and the article makes me look forward to the trip even more! The longest train trip we've ever been on is 12 hours, so this will be a new experience.

The writer's focus on passengers was unique, and left me with a feeling that train travel is "real," human, charming, if that makes sense. I hope this article is picked up by other media outlets and it provides a nudge to people considering a long distance train trip. :)

It is informative and insightful to read of other, non-rail fan, perceptions of train travel in general and Amtrak in particular.

That article is why I get a roomette on LD trains. lol
I suspect you are not alone in that feeling here. But I think the people he prolifes in the article are much more typical of Amtrak ridership than AU most members.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I ride the train, I don't do the "reporter" thing -- but the other passengers will sometimes talk - I've met many interesting folks on the train - I'm not a real frequent rider - but long-term.

My daughter - more than 20 years later - remembers the annoying young woman that we shared a diner table with on the CL - who told my then 4-year-old daughter (with the typical arrogance that ignorant adults use to observant young ones)

- that those railcars on the other track were "cattle cars". Daughter still bridles and snarls whenever she hears "cattle cars" -- "maybe in your days, Dada, but those were definitly auto racks - why do such ignorant grownups make up such dumb stories to impress vulnerable children? Huh?"

And she's right --

And -- ignorant but amused media creatures write - not totally unfairly - I'm not knocking the story from the authors point of view - but I, you, any Amtrak rider has a lot more depth of understanding than any one-shot reporter can have.

How to share the reality with the Amtrak-ignorant??

Baffled.
I guess I'm baffled at your reaction to this article. I have ridden Amtrak long-distance trains at least 64 times--those I can remember to count--since 1982, and the writer captured the essence of much of long-distance train travel among passengers IMHO. People do love to talk about themselves on long-distance train trips because the trips are so long, and you can only concentrate on a book or look out the window for so many hours without starting up a conversation. The diner makes such conversations inevitable, unless you are someone who simply clams up and sits in silence during mealtime, no matter the efforts of fellow diners to coax at least some superficial chat from you. There is a natural curiosity among most people about others; the long-distance train environment allows that curiosity to blossom in many cases. I've talked with rail fans, with a family where the father had just been released from prison and was reconnecting with his wife and kids on his way to a job, with retired people, with college students--with people just from just about every walk of life, whether in a sleeper or in coach. Of course the reporter probably talked with dozens of passengers while researching his Sunset story, and chose the most interesting of those representing the various categories of riders. I think he nailed things down pretty good, and therefore am mystified at what you see as a skewered New York viewpoint! Even your example of the woman misidentifying auto carriers has no bearing on media reporting; rather, it's an example of the information, or misinformation, that you can pick up from rambling conversations on long distance trains! There was absolutely nothing "Amtrak ignorant" in what the writer reported and wrote. His details about Amtrak were factual, and he brought like aboard a long-distance train to life for everyone except those few interested in the color and number of the engine, the state of the sleeper carpeting or the availability or non-availability of Pepsi or Sierra Mist in the cafe car! :rolleyes: In other words, what 99% of Amtrak passengers or would-be passengers want to hear about!

That article is why I get a roomette on LD trains. lol
I suspect you are not alone in that feeling here. But I think the people he prolifes in the article are much more typical of Amtrak ridership than AU most members.
Well, I didn't say that train travel wasn't 'interesting'. You can say the exact opposite of plane travel. I have been on many flights where not a single word was said the whole flight. Many times they just pull out their laptop and start working or playing games. Sometimes, just to irritate them, I start looking at what they are working on. lol. On one flight from Tulsa to Houston we stopped in Dallas and I just watched the people getting on. This one guy was coming down the aisle talking on his cell phone and writing on his clipboard at the same time. Couldn't he just say, hang on a minute while I get a seat here. lol.

I found it very interesting..........Much like the people we met crossing the country last year...From the young girl going home for mothers day after 6 years gone to the guy that had gone west to fullfill one thing on is bucket list..to see the Redwoods. I only managed to tick off one old lady in the lounge care when she was telling me a story about seeing a bear in Canada and calling the mounties....she got up and left rather fast when I told her I hunted bears and they were good to eat....can't win em all I guess.

The link dosen't even work for me.
Swadian, are you trying to copy-paste the shortened link with ... in the middle? That's probably why its not working for you.

Try clicking here, its working.
That dosen't work, either. I clicked on the OP's link, too, I didn't copy it with ... I can't even discuss it if I can't see the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swadian, are you trying to copy-paste the shortened link with ... in the middle? That's probably why its not working for you.

That dosen't work, either. I clicked on the OP's link, too, I didn't copy it with ... I can't even discuss it if I can't see the article.
For Pete's sake, just go the nytimes.com website, find the article in its travel section, and click. You get 10 free views on the site each month before having to pay.

For Pete's sake, just go the nytimes.com website, find the article in its travel section, and click. You get 10 free views on the site each month before having to pay.
I did that too, and it still dosen't work. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

Fairly well written article. it's meant to entertain and occaisonally bother the reader, and it does. Captures nicely the slice of life and the window into the world of humanity as it relates to train travel. Oh, and MI Mom just tried and is unable to do the wall climbing exercise on the first page. Out of shape.

Fairly well written article. it's meant to entertain and occaisonally bother the reader, and it does. Captures nicely the slice of life and the window into the world of humanity as it relates to train travel. Oh, and MI Mom just tried and is unable to do the wall climbing exercise on the first page. Out of shape.
:giggle: At least you tried the wall climbing! The thought crossed my mind, but that was as far as I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back