Locked baggage at depot, on train (or airline)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas on how to prevent this?
One site suggested Glass strapping tape.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVf80-kzvDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVf80-kzvDs
Gosh, I'd never imagine that zippered soft luggage is secure, especially if security x-rays it. And who has faith in those little luggage locks anyway? Keep your valuables in your carry-on, and don't let that out of your sight. Consider not carrying so many valuables when you travel. I've been robbed while traveling, even on a train (not Amtrak), but never of anything I couldn't easily replace.

Luggage locks were never intended to prevent theft. That's why every hard-case Samsonite bag used the same key (or at least every one I ever had). The purpose of the locks was to prevent the bag from inadvertently opening while being handled.

For air travel today, all luggage locks must be TSA-approved. If your bag is scanned and they detect something that requires a look-see, they will open your bag. If you have a TSA-lock, they will simply unlock it. If it is locked with a non-TSA lock, they will open it any way they can, and that might not be too pretty. Amtrak, of course, does not have that issue, but using a luggage lock should never be considered an anti-theft measure. Only a pretty lame criminal would let a suitcase lock stop him (or her) from going about their business.

If something is of value, carry it on: air or Amtrak.

Those luggage locks are to keep the honest people out. If someone wants to get into your bag, they will do it.

Strapping tape won't stop you from being robbed. It just might let you know quicker that it's happened.

Those luggage locks are to keep the honest people out. If someone wants to get into your bag, they will do it.
Strapping tape won't stop you from being robbed. It just might let you know quicker that it's happened.
You are correct. If somebody wants in bad enough they will.

Broken lock a red flag. Strapping tape might be the answer to at least give you a heads up considering this is Amtrak's policy:

Claims for damaged or delayed checked baggage or for a concealed loss (pilferage) within checked baggage must be submitted immediately at your destination station. Amtrak disclaims liability for pilferage for unsecured baggage, such as baggage that does not have a lock, seal or other device that protects the bag from unauthorized entry, and for articles placed in an unlocked or unsecured exterior baggage compartment.
Imagine trying to convince them of a theft out of your 'locked' luggage. Worse, once you leave the station and then discover it....

The subject just reminded me of an incident on the CZ back in the '90's.

Had a roomette. During the evening I was in the lounge having a drink.

Probably because of my profession at the time, a twenty-something guy gave off bad vibes. I saw him head to the sleepers. I slowly walked back to my car. Sure enough, the hombre was about to look into my compartment, saw me, and headed back to the lounge.

He must have been in that car and casing out the lounge.

Moral of the story: be aware of those around you while traveling.

You are correct. If somebody wants in bad enough they will.
Especially, if that someone wants your stuff, they can just grab the handle and simply casually wheel the overnight case away.

Hay, for me, the suitcase itself is probably worth more than my old underwear and socks. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The style of luggage now with soft material to make it light weight, all the compartments with zippers for convince and wheels to roll it along are great for the traveler. But as someone mentioned all these things give dishonest people easy access. Not much you can do to stop a thief once they have decided your stuff is what they want to steal short of sitting on your luggage the whole time. :huh: :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
you could take a bike lock cable and lock and lock it to the net of the overhead luggage bin on the train. don't know how well that would go over when security or the staff.

you could take a bike lock cable and lock and lock it to the net of the overhead luggage bin on the train. don't know how well that would go over when security or the staff.
When going by coach I do something similar. I tether all my lower-level luggage together to at least prevent somebody with getting off at their stop - especially at night/when I'm sleeping - taking my luggage (who would know the difference?). At least it would look out of place trying to drag 2-3 items all connected).

As the video shows, they could still enter the locked and tethered luggage.

Upstairs in coach, not such a big deal. Most around where you sit know who belongs where.

As for valuables, I carry a small shoulder bag to meals, etc..

Haven't done so in coach, but in the sleepers, I'd swear I've seen small discreet ceiling security cameras near the restrooms directed toward the luggage.

if you can deley them from entering the greater the chance someone is going to say something. if its 3am both seats are full and there's some person attempting to open the luggage from the overhead bin isn't someone going to see something if they happen to wake up.

if its 3am both seats are full and there's some person attempting to open the luggage from the overhead bin isn't someone going to see something if they happen to wake up.
You put a lot of faith in "somebody."

if its 3am both seats are full and there's some person attempting to open the luggage from the overhead bin isn't someone going to see something if they happen to wake up.
You put a lot of faith in "somebody."
just saying :rolleyes: maybe if your extreamly lucky a conductor will say something. let me guess conductors could care less about stolen luggage. all they care about is the train being on time. even if its 1 minute late they take it out on the pax.

At 3am, it would probably take me several minutes of futzing around to get my own suitcase open.

Benjamin Franklin used fish hooks sewn into the lining of his pockets effective in catching pick pockets. That would probably work with luggage also but I can see some bad side effects. Like a TSA security guy getting caught or worse getting up at 3:00 AM and forgetting. If you want to be really secure then you have to be prepared to put up with a great deal of cost or inconvenience. Personally I just try to be careful and not worry too much. We have never had a problem with theft on Amtrak.

Dear Kiss_Alive:

I understand the concept at work in your theory that someone would say something. But why would someone say something about an unknown person getting into a suitcase that they don't know ISN'T that persons. Nobody will know who's luggage is who's. Especially the conductor, who changes fairly frequently. The best bet would be the owner of the bag waking up, or the car attendant noticing (because the CA is there for the whole trip). But besides that, on a Superliner, on could go downstairs to the luggage racks and "raid" that. Same on an Amfleet carriage one could simply go to the back of the car and "look" for their luggage, and takes somebody else's stuff. I know I would be too unsure of ownership, asides from my own stuff, to say anything to someone getting into a piece of luggage. If I was very suspicious I would report it to the attendant or conductor, but without any way to confirm the ownership in the first place I would have nothing to base my suspicion on.

Anyway,

Regards, Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back