Living next to Amtrak--soundproofing house?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, here in MN, the seasonal difference is extreme. Summertime with all the leaves on the trees and grass growing, can't hear the many trains crossing the diamond on the BNSF about 2/3 mile from here. Winter, the cold air, no vegetation to absorb the sound -- outside my house I can hear every ka-klunk ka-clunk on that diamond crossing.

But in Florida, much less problem, I'd guess (never been there).

The critical issues re: the airport are

1. Whether they have jet service, and how large the planes are, though propeller planes can be noisy on takeoff as their prop tips are nearly supersonic. If there is no commercial service, there can still be business jets, though most of the really noisy ones are being phased out because of high fuel consumption.

2. Location of flight path, especially takeoffs, though jets are also noisy on landing approach.

Typically, the primary noise is under an extended line from each runway for a distance of a couple of miles. Get a map that shows the runways and your expected location and draw a line out from each runway end for 2-3 miles to see if it comes within a mile of the house.

Some runways are one-way only for takeoff: you'd have to call the airport to find that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back