Liquid Discharge from Northeast Regional 94 on December 24, 2021.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I filmed the arrival of Amtrak Northeast Regional 94 arriving around 1PM on December 24, 2021 in Alexandria, Virginia. Immediately upon the train stopping, Car # 43389 discharged a bunch of liquid onto the track. What did they discharge, and why did they discharge it on the tracks in a station?

Here is the video:

Looks like simple spillage of water from a cap that was not sealed ... doesn't necessarily look like "gray water" - just water ... even if it is "gray", at least it isn't "brown"

Here's some stuff dripping out a a car on the Empire Builder in February 2007 at our "fresh air" stop in Minot. One whiff, and it was obvious that this was not water. :) Fortunately, it was about 10 below (Fahrenheit) outside, so the odor wasn't too offensive.

Yellowstone fol024.JPG

the car dumping water is just a overfull water tank (no baffles) sloshing a few gallons out of overflow .
the second picture is not car in my opinion, but Genesis locomotive the water is just water draining from radiator compartment.
cause snow does melt when it gets sucked trough hot radiators.

But why? And why Alexandria? And why that car? Is it gray water?

This is completely normal. It is clean, potable water. When the train brakes, the water moves toward the front of the tank. Once the train stops, the water is now free to rush back the other way and often times this means it'll go right back up and out the inlet ports.

the second picture is not car in my opinion, but Genesis locomotive the water is just water draining from radiator compartment.
cause snow does melt when it gets sucked trough hot radiators.
This picture interested me too, I tried to see how the vent location matches up with the bogeys on a P42DC, and to my eye it doesn’t match up? Usually there are large rectangle boxes hanging down near bogeys and there seems to be too much air there?

It’s fresh water.

Yes the fresh water system need to be check by the mechanic forces. A missing cap is a source of possible contamination of a fresh water system.

That said it is sloshing of the water from the deceleration, and stopping.

Tell that to the boaters that were below the Dave Matthews Band tour bus as it crossed the bridge...
https://www.newsweek.com/dave-matth...feces-chicago-sightseers-14-years-ago-1064129Sorry, back on topic. Anything is better than the old days when the toilets drained straight on to the tracks...

Looks like simple spillage of water from a cap that was not sealed ... doesn't necessarily look like "gray water" - just water ... even if it is "gray", at least it isn't "brown"

Back