Limited service from Newark?

• Thread starter Chicago Traveler
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chicago Traveler

I was wondering if any of you could help me?

I will be staying in a hotel in Newark, DE from the end of April until Mid June.

Every Friday at 3:30PM I will be done with meetings and will head to NYC for the weekend and then returning on Sunday evening. Purchasing a 10-trip ticket for the Amtrak regional trains.

According to the Amtrak.com website, the only trains that stop in Newark, DE is a regional (186) at 2:26PM. Unfortunately that is too early.

The train on Sunday (135) gets me back just in time.

I've looked at SEPTA but it seems they don't have service that is compatible with my times either.

Basically my question is, what is the easiest way to get from Newark, DE to Wilmington after the 3:30PM time slot on Friday and then to return from Wilmington on Sunday?

Thanks in advance.

Chicago,

On Sunday, Amtrak is the only game in town. It's either Regional 135 or find a bus or taxi from Wilmington to Newark.

On Friday however, SEPTA offers several choices. I'm not sure just what your schedule demands or why you don't find SEPTA convienent. They have departures from Newark to Wilmington at 4:46, 5:43, 6:46, and 7:21 that arrive in Wilmington at 5:03, 6:00, 7:05, & 7:38 respectively.

Amtrak regional 158 connects with the 4:46 SEPTA departure after a 30 minute layover. Amtrak regional 136 connects with the 6:00 pm SEPTA departure after a 39 minute layover. One could also ride SEPTA all the way to 30th Street station to connect with 139, but it is a tight connection with only 11 minutes between trains. 138 connects with the 6:46 departure.

You also have the option of public bus service between Newark and the Wilmington station on Friday evening. Look for routes 6 and 16 at: http://www.dartfirststate.com

Unfortunately there isn't Sunday service, but it sounds like your return train will work out.

Thanks for your help guys.

But it actually has worked out fine. I will have my flash pass by then so I don't really have to worry about cab fare anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back