Less common/touristy rail destinations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To watch trains in peace for a day or two.... Ashland VA!
In my years in Ashland, I saw many interesting trains. Of note, in 1964 Lady Bird Johnson campaigning from open platform on behalf of Lyndon Johnson. She was still speaking after five minutes, and The train pulled out of the station as she was still speaking. The train was pulled by RF&P or ACL engine.
I was there too - as an RMC freshman. Could set my watch by the parade of RF&P/ACL/SAL trains.

Second that...... is the Henry Clay Inn still open?
No, it closed awhile back. Randolph Macon was trying to buy it but the City would not change the zoning, so it sits.
Up for auction now.

Sad it closed but we stayed there a few years back and the place was run down, the "breakfast" was a joke and the person running the place was very unfriendly. You don't keep a business going like that.

Auction info:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18876222/114-N-Railroad-Ave-Ashland-VA/

A trip to Alpine Tx and the Big Bend park is on my to do list.I have researched it and if you want desert landscape and a small town experience this is it. For a wetter destination in a more northern area,Wisconsin Dells is interesting,especially if you have kids.Only problem for me is the Empire Builder doesnt make good connections with the Texas Eagle.But an over night somewhere along the Hiawatha route and catching the Builder in Milwaukee the next day would work.So many good suggestions.

Second that...... is the Henry Clay Inn still open?
No, it closed awhile back. Randolph Macon was trying to buy it but the City would not change the zoning, so it sits.
Up for auction now.

Sad it closed but we stayed there a few years back and the place was run down, the "breakfast" was a joke and the person running the place was very unfriendly. You don't keep a business going like that.

Auction info:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18876222/114-N-Railroad-Ave-Ashland-VA/
As a current Ashland resident, I can say that this past fall's Auction went very successfully, it was sold to a VA resident up in NJ who has plans to really revitalize the Inn and bring it back to the atmosphere it had 5 to 10 years ago; she came and spoke before the Town Council and has every intention of keeping the Inn tied to its' historic tradition.

I'll 3rd Ashland as a *great* place for the railfan to visit that's somewhat off the beaten path (I say somewhat here because to the railfan, it's a destination!)

~ ATE

Harpers Ferry isn't far from my home. The Capitol Limited stops there, but automobiles aren't permitted in town, so you might be better off if you detrain in Martinsburg, WV. I think you can rent a car there. Not many (if any) places to stay in Harpers Ferry, but there are several in Shepherdstown (home of Shepherd College), Martinsburg (location of a famous Stonewall Jackson raid on the B&O RR), Hagerstown MD, and other nearby towns. The Antietam battlefield is just up the road at Sharpsburg, MD. Gettysburg is an easy drive of about an hour, and the advance and retreat from Gettysburg passed through Hagerstown and Williamsport, MD. South of Martinsburg you will find Winchester, New Market, and other Civil War sites. The C&O Canal runs right through the area, on the north side of the Potomac River.

If the Civil War is your thing, this is the area to visit. By the way, Gettysburg tends to be crowded. Visitors have been known to ask how the soldiers managed to fight a battle with all those monuments in the way. Antietam is much less so (except on July 4 and the battle anniversary in September).

Another vote for Red Wing, Minnesota here....the historic St. James Hotel is right next to the depot (you can walk into the lower level of its parking ramp, then take an elevator up to the lobby)...this time of year, there's plenty of eagle-watching in Waypoint and Colvill Parks next to the river, lots of neat places to eat downtown...check out what's in Red Wing at http://www.redwing.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back