Less common/touristy rail destinations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDude

Train Attendant
If you and your significant other wanted to have a quiet weekend in an off-the-beaten-path place that you could travel to via rail, where would you go? I'm looking for suggestions other than the common rail destinations like Glacier NP, Glenwood Springs, etc. Region of the country doesn't matter (it might not be in a part of the country that I'd go out of my way to visit, but might be a good suggestion for someone reading this). There's just something appealing to me about taking a train to a small town and spending a day or two there to relax and take in the charm/flavor of the place.

I'll second Altoona. I rented a car to get up to the Horseshoe Park and also to stop at all the towns along the tracks that have put in railfan amenities (like viewing benches).

Dunsmuir, CA is also nice. If you fly fish, you can walk to the river from the depot.

If you and your significant other wanted to have a quiet weekend in an off-the-beaten-path place that you could travel to via rail, where would you go? I'm looking for suggestions other than the common rail destinations like Glacier NP, Glenwood Springs, etc. Region of the country doesn't matter (it might not be in a part of the country that I'd go out of my way to visit, but might be a good suggestion for someone reading this). There's just something appealing to me about taking a train to a small town and spending a day or two there to relax and take in the charm/flavor of the place.
Pretty much anywhere in Vermont. Utica, NY.

If I had the time and money I would pick

1. San Simeon - Hearst Castle - the whole Monterey thing

2. Charlottesville - Monticello

3. Izaak Walton Inn - Essex Mt (between East &West Glacier - great trainspotting)

Lots of good ideas here, so little time, so many great places to go in this Land we Love!

!Advertisement for my place of Birth:

Consider the Sunset Ltd. to Alpine, Texas, Population 7,000! ( 3 times a week Train and Mom and Pop Rent Car has to be arranged in Advance!)Plenty of places to stay ( chain hotels/ motels as well as the nicely restored Old Railroad Hotel The Holland) and surprisingly good places to eat! Sul Ross University has a really nice Museum of the Big Bend including lots of Railroad stuff! ( SP, Santa Fe and Chihuahua El Pacifico!)

The Davis Mountains,(Southern extension of the Rockies into Mexico) are a pleasant surprise in the middle of the Chihuahua Desert!

The Big Bend Natiinal Park( 50 miles South) along the Rio Grande River and the old Ghost Towns around there are worth the Drive as is the River Road Drive between Terlingua and Presidio!

The artists colony and old Railroad and Ranching town of Marfa ( sort of a small Santa Few) is definitely worth a visit and my favorite is Ft Davis where the restored Ft Davis,( still small and with unpaved streets! Great West Texas Mexican Food!) home of the Buffalo Soldiers of 10th Calvary Fame,, is a sight to see!

Also Mt Livermore close to Ft Davis, has the UT run McDonalds Observatory ( largest scopes in the world) where the Star Parties @ night are fantastic! ( it gets cold @ night, take a sweater or jacket)

Fourty miles away is the small town of Balmohrea that right outside town has the Springs that are thought to be the longest continuously occupied site in North America! Fantastic swimming, snorkeling and a great picnic spot! The Best Enchilladas I've ever had are @ the LA Curva Restaurant in town)

On Highway 90 between Marfa and Alpine is the viewing site for the Famous Marfa Lights, sort of a poor mans Roswell!!

If interested, Google it up, best time to go is Spring and Fall, its reasonable in price, but it is Cold in Winter and Hot and crowded in Summer even if it's in the Middle of Nowhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
LaCrosse, Wisconsin. On the Mississippi River, which is gorgeous at this location (especially in fall) and a fun downtown for a weekend. Plenty of state parks on both sides of the river if one were to get a rental car.

Granby Colorado. The "station" is an unmanned waiting area down a hill from a charming little old fashioned town. I actually spent a day there once doing a turn on the Zephyr (Denver - Granby , Granby - Denver Same Day) and I had a blast. Everything is locally owned, no chains. So a little local coffee shop where the lady who made my coffee was pulling out fresh baked muffins... ate a late lunch at a really cool restaurant where they serve fish and game from the area (and indeed an entire table in the dining room was men in hunting gear).

Just a charming small town... I had a small bag with me so many people asked me if I had just come off the train.

So there's my reccomendation... plus it's in the middle of the Rockies on the route of the Zephyr. Talk about a bonus!

Leavenworth or Bellingham WA, Eugene OR, Las Vegas New Mexico.

Folkston Funnel Lodge in Folkston Georgia!!! (You Tube It)

I stayed there for 3 nights & found it to be the ultimate retreat with about 60 + trains passing a day!!!!

Apparently there has been a change in ownership! I stayed when there was just the lodge. The owners gave me a golf cart to get around to the platform, grocery store, diners, etc! They even had their parents pick up & drop me at the Jax Station! If you want to get away, this is the place!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been curious about the Depot Inn in La Plata, MO. Never been there, never heard from anyone who has, just is a place that has piqued my curiosity.

Excellent suggestion on Alpine. Area has interested me and glad to know about car rental.

I like Winter Park, Fl great park like setting for the new station, many good shops and restaurants in this upscale community. 4 Amtrak trains and new Sunrail commuter service. Not many freights though.

I have stayed at the Depot in La Plata. Quite nice motel, down the road from the. RR station. Was not crazy about their breakfast, but a nice place.

I spent a couple of days in Charleston WV a few years ago which I enjoyed. Not much to do there but it is beautiful and I felt like I could live there - if only the Cardinal ran every day.

Charlottesville is also beautiful and has lots more to do but I don't know if I'd call it exactly off-the-beaten-path.

Burlington VT

Saratoga Springs NY

Fort Worth TX

Personally, I want to go to Portland ME and Cincinnati OH - and Tampa.

To watch trains in peace for a day or two.... Ashland VA!
In my years in Ashland, I saw many interesting trains. Of note, in 1964 Lady Bird Johnson campaigning from open platform on behalf of Lyndon Johnson. She was still speaking after five minutes, and The train pulled out of the station as she was still speaking. The train was pulled by RF&P or ACL engine.

I have stayed at the Depot in La Plata. Quite nice motel, down the road from the. RR station. Was not crazy about their breakfast, but a nice place.
Are you sort of captive to the Depot Inn (unless you drive there), or is there much within walking distance? Specifically thinking about food of some sort, especially since you mention not being a big fan of their breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back