LAX to SAN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rail Freak, you said that you'll be making your trip during the summer, but you didn't specify WHEN during the summer. Horse racing season at Del Mar begins July 16 and runs through September 7. If your trip is going to be during that time, then yes, BOOK NOW. Northbound trains, especially the ones later in the afternoon and evening, will be overflowing with people coming back from Del Mar. Seriously, I have seen it go standing room only in Coach! There may also be a bit of a bump over Comic-Con weekend (July 9-12), though hopefully since it's coming before Del Mar this year, there will be more space on the trains. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor. :D

Thanx, I'll be there on Sunday the 23rd of August. I appreciate that!
In addition to the SRO crowds in Coach during the Racing Season, lots of these folks have consumed large amounts of adult beverages and do good imitations of Raider Nation and Cub and Bear fans riding the rails to/from the games!
LOL, that reminds me of one evening when I was coming back from Comic-Con. When the cafe attendant came on the PA to announce the cafe was open, he made sure to mention that they had only 5 beers left on the train because the southbound passengers had near cleaned 'em out, so get your beers now before we hit Solana Beach! Everyone in BC got a pretty good laugh out of that one. :D

There are some good fish restaurants along the bay, just across the tracks and a couple blocks away from the old Santa Fe station. Both sit down style (near the Midway Aircraft Carrier) as well as carry out, down the block across from the Holiday Inn.

Depending on how long you'll be there, you might look into a MTS day pass for the trolley...unlimited riding for the day. One time, we did the whole loop around and back into town just to ride the trolley.

Also, we've walked "Old Town" a couple of times, took the trolley back up there from the Santa Fe Depot. Some nice restaurants there besides the historical stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back