LAX to SAN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
This summer I'll be arriving in LA on the SWC & departing that night on the TE. Since I cant walk far, I'm thinking about taking the Surfliner to SAN & back to occupy my layover. Is it worth the time & $$$? Any good places for lunch close to the SAN Station? Thanx

Scenery southbound to SAN is GREAT. There are many restaurants, close to many stations along the line to SAN. Spend some time on GoogleMaps, and you'll see what I mean.

It's a beautiful ride down the coast, once you hit San Diego County. Going up to Santa Barbara is nice, too, although the best part of that run is between Santa Barbara and SLO -- you go through Hollister Ranch and Vandenberg AFB. You'd need to get in an hour or so early, though, to do the SLO roundtrip. A 14 hour layover should give you plenty of time to get to San Diego and back. I wouldn't try to cut it too close, though. The last time I took the Surfliner from San Diego, we were held up for a couple of hours because a homeless person wandered onto the tracks at exactly the wrong time. :(

The LA Gathering group had our lunch meal HERE. Food and service was very good - short 1-2 block walk from the station.

If you want to go further afield, the pedicabs in San Diego are fun to take. It's a pretty compact downtown/harbor area. Nice places out toward the cruise terminal if you want to be on the water, and it's not too far away from the station. My favorite is the Gaslamp district -- lots of nice restaurants and pubs there, and it's in the pedicab zone. It's away from the water, though.

Thanx for the info. Gonna take the Surfliner to SAN for a Pedicab ride!!!!
You might look into BIZ CLASS too, booked right now, it's just about $20 more than coach, to me, it's worth it.

SB, grab a seat on the right hand side of the train, NB, left of course, for best beach viewing.

Even though you may be in Biz Class, if the train is in "PUSH MODE", (loco at the rear) you can sometimes get pretty close to the cab control. Sometimes the engineer even keeps the door open, pretty cool way to "see" the route ahead. (often they rope-off the last several rows of seats in this car, unless really crowded.

Nice trip! I've done the LAX-SAN turn several times and agree that its a great way to spend your layover! Agree with going Biz Class, especially if its a weekend or Del Mar is running races! It gets crazy in Coach on those days!!

Google up the info on downtown San Diego, great transit, places to see, cafes etc. If the Padres are playing an afternoon game while you're there, Petco Park ( is it still called that? LOL) is the perfect downtown Ball Park and its close by the Amtrak (old Santa Fe) Station and the Harbor!

If you didn't want to go all the way to San Diego, San Juan Capistrano is a wonderful place to do a layover also, I like it even more than Santa Barbara! Google it up and check it out too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see 2 San Diego Stops, Tijuana & Old Town. Which do I want?
Amtrak doesn't goes to Tijuana, although San Diego has a trolley which will take you to the border. And not every train stops in Old Town.

I suspect locals who commute may get off at Old Town as that's a connecting stop for a lot of city buses and the San Diego trolley..

The Old Town stop is walking distance to the Old Town State Historic Park ("Birthplace of California"). It includes a number of historic buildings dating to when the first Spaniards came to California, plus some replicas. Some house museums, there is an operating theater, and most buildings contain shops and restaurants. They have regular days where they have a blacksmith working in the blacksmith shop and let the burros out. Father Serra's first mission was on the hill overlooking the plaza here, Commodore Stockton's headquarters were here, the original graveyard is here, the last Mexican governor of California lived here, there is a famous haunted house here, some events from Ramona (influential novel) happened here, etc.

I haven't been for a couple of years, but there used to be a kitchen shop that had really high quality Mexican/Spanish seasonings. There are at least two top-notch restaurants, one in the plaza and one in the Cosmopolitan Hotel (which also has a pretty reasonable bed & breakfast).

If you have never been to California or San Diego, then the main Santa Fe depot is where to start. Otherwise, Old Town is a unique and worthy stop.

What is the difference in Coach & BC on the Surfliner?
It's been a few years, but I remember a snack pack and a choice or red/white wine were included. Also I think the seats were reserved, so you knew that even if the train was crowded you would have a seat. Although things may have changed, and if they have I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.

I've ridden both coach and BC LAX - SAN. The BC is downstairs; when I rode coach I had to climb the stairs to the 2nd level.

The BC has more leg room. The bathroom I used on BC was a handicapped bathroom with plenty of room in which to turn around, where as the coach bathrooms seem like those on airplanes (i.e. tiny). I was brought a snack of some danish and free non-alcoholic drink. I believe there's a small cafe counter where you can buy sandwiches, etc

As it's part of my upcoming ABQ-LAX-SAN vacation I feel it adds to my pleasure. For me the extra price is well worth it.

For folks healthier, more physically fit, and perhaps who travel more often coach may provide what they need without the added cost.

This link I saw online may give you some added perspective:

My First Train Trip – The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from LA to San Diego

Coach is unreserved (except at certain times like around holidays) while BC is always reserved. If you want coach, it doesn't matter when you book - it's always the same fare no matter when you book.

I've always taken a Surfliner southbound when I had a connection from 1 or 3 later that evening. I agree..San Juan Capistrano is a lovely stop. Restaurant at the station and a few missions nearby. If you really want to get the feel of Southern California, the Oceanside stop is very close to the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back