LAUS Metropolitan Lounge Master Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The absence of signs may be because they haven't had their grand opening yet. We're on our way there tonight. Unfortunately, Trax, the Union Station restaurant is closed on Sundays, but it's a short walk over to Alvera (sp?) street for some excellent Mexican food. The lounge hosts are happy to hold our luggage while we walk about outside Union Station. We're looking forward to a couple of nights on the Sunset Limited.

I visit the NYP ClubAcela all the time, often stopping by for a quick drink and clean bathroom when I'm between things in midtown.

On my visit to the lounge, I made a joke to the desk attendant about the lounge being incognito. She assured me there was plenty of signage on its way.

Had Redcap service out the back of the lounge to the platform. Three or four times, the cart stopped suddenly and had to be "restarted" (in quotes because it's an electric cart). The driver was very apologetic, saying they have all new carts that they're still getting used to.

All the employees were polite and professional. Overall, I think the lounge is off to a wonderful start.

Single best thing about the lounge: the condition of the bathrooms.

The Metropolitan lounge is open to business passengers now, that's interesting. Is it a permanent thing? I seem recall the one in Chicago getting pretty crowed with just sleeping car passengers.

The absence of signs may be because they haven't had their grand opening yet. We're on our way there tonight. Unfortunately, Trax, the Union Station restaurant is closed on Sundays, but it's a short walk over to Alvera (sp?) street for some excellent Mexican food. The lounge hosts are happy to hold our luggage while we walk about outside Union Station. We're looking forward to a couple of nights on the Sunset Limited.
Olvera Street.

The Metropolitan lounge is open to business passengers now, that's interesting. Is it a permanent thing? I seem recall the one in Chicago getting pretty crowed with just sleeping car passengers.
Well, at Chicago they were going to build a bigger lounge. Haven't heard anything about that in years. Half-finished project, they've already paid for half the work, but won't get any benefit until it's done... that sort of thing annoys me.

Last week we arrived early to Union Station so that we could have dinner before boarding the Sunset Limited. The new First Class Lounge staff were happy to hold our luggage and carry on stuff for us while we walked across to Olvera Street for our bon voyage Mexican dinner. The signs for the lounge are not up so you must ask for directions. It is on the second floor directly above the Amtrak ticket counter through unmarked doors. Until the formal grand opening you just have to be an in-the-know Amtrak fan. The staff members are accommodating and proud of their facilities. They'll show you around. They have comp soft drinks and coffees, magazines, WiFi, large screen TV, ample comfort seating, windows overlooking the rail yard, and comp golf cart rides to your boarding. Trains are the only way to fly.

UnionSta1stClassLoung.JPG

Very nice. Cant wait for my next trip on the CS. Does the Met Lounge serve liquor or can you ask for someone to get you something from TRAXX? I used to have a Bloody Mary in the Traxx lounge before boarding #14.

Very nice. Cant wait for my next trip on the CS. Does the Met Lounge serve liquor or can you ask for someone to get you something from TRAXX? I used to have a Bloody Mary in the Traxx lounge before boarding #14.
Like all Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges and ClubAcelas, there is no booze - free or sold. If the Traxx Bar is open (Hours: Monday-Saturday 11:30am-10:00pm & Sunday 1:30pm-8:00pm) when you are there, and you are over 21 with an ID, I'm sure they will be happy to sell you a Bloody Mary.

Looks nice! I hope to get to see it Wednesday night between the CS and SL/TE, if the CS is on time! :)
Dave,

Here are directions get into the lounge:

When looking at the ticket counters, head to your right towards the car rental desks - Budget and Hertz IIRC. Even though if kind of looks like the hallway dead ends, as you approach the rental desks you'll see you can turn left and when you do, there will be elevators to your left in a nook in the wall. I only used the elevator to the right, so I'm not sure the one to the left will get you to the lounge, but go to the second floor and turn left as you exit the elevator. The lounge is behind the wooden doors.

The staff - Eric and Shelia - were very friendly and helpful. They asked me my name and which train I was boarding and they checked me off one of the printed lists they had in front of them.

***********************************************​

On a slightly different note, the permanent furniture was there last Wednesday (10/16), it looks great and was very comfortable and neither Eric or Shelia knew anything about there being a "Grand Opening" the next day.

I only used the elevator to the right, so I'm not sure the one to the left will get you to the lounge...
The one on the left does go to the second floor, but it's sized to carry freight, whereas the one on the right is solely a passenger elevator. I'm sure they'd rather Metropolitan Lounge customers use the one on the right.

The one on the left does go to the second floor, but it's sized to carry freight, whereas the one on the right is solely a passenger elevator. I'm sure they'd rather Metropolitan Lounge customers use the one on the right.
And that would explain the cleaning person using the one on the left. :hi:

Ok, its official, the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge at LA Union Station is open. Amtrak news release announcement on the official opening.

OAKLAND – Amtrak, today, officially opened its new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge at Los Angeles Union Station. The new lounge is available to Amtrak sleeping car passengers, Pacific Surfliner business class passengers, with same-day tickets and Amtrak Guest Rewards members (Select Plus and Select Executive levels).

“We are excited that our premiere passengers are able to relax in a deluxe lounge while waiting to board their trains here at Union Station,” said D.J. Stadtler, Amtrak’s Vice President of Operations.

Passengers can enjoy complimentary coffee, tea, soft drinks and other beverages, Internet access, newspapers, conference room, comfortable seating, ticketing assistance and priority boarding from the lounge to trains via Red Cap service. Original train-themed artwork can be seen throughout the area. A very special sculpture, “Pioneer of Railway Construction,” depicting the Chinese American’s contribution to the railroad, donated to Amtrak by Chinese artist, Yuan Xikun, rests in its own display case in the lobby.

The lounge is located on the second floor of the station above the Amtrak ticket office and is accessible by elevators. It is open from 5:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. It replaces the pre-boarding area that was adjacent to TRAXX restaurant.

:) Excellent News! 5:00AM-10:00PM Operating Hours Cover the Sunset Ltd. which Gets there Early/Leaves Late! These Have To Be the Longest Hours of Any Lounge in the Amtrak System!!! Hopefully the Permanent Sings will be Mounted Soon so the Lounge is Not a Secret and Treasure Hunt for Users Who Haven't Yet Been There! ;)

KNBC Los Angeles just did a nice live piece on the Lounge and included some background on the history of LAUPT. The Lounge looks very nice and now I wonder what the goodies are in the 2 glass door 'Fridges.....

KNBC Los Angeles just did a nice live piece on the Lounge and included some background on the history of LAUPT. The Lounge looks very nice and now I wonder what the goodies are in the 2 glass door 'Fridges.....
Soda and juice, had some while Whooz and I were there. Diet Pepsi was in a 7.5 oz can. The real goodies are the fresh fruit, and cookies!

May have missed this discussion earlier, but now that the Metro Lounge LA is open, will sleeping car passengers on the SL/TE be rousted from their rooms when the train arrives on its early schedule? I understand they are currently allowed to stay in their sleepers until 6 or 6:30am. Since the lounge is open at 5 am I would suppose they might ask sleeping car passengers to move out and into the lounge?? Hope not :p

Even though you're "allowed" to occupy the sleeper until later, even when the SL/TE arrived at 4:30 (which was every time I was on it) I wanted to get off when we arrived. And with others noisily walking thru the train and on the platform, I doubt most people will sleep anyway.

The last trip, only 1 person in the sleeper stayed in his room after the 4:30 arrival. That person was - the SCA! :eek: (The conductor did not look too happy when she found out.)

Dave is Correct about the SCA (I Was There Also, it's Not a Train Story)!) and the Noise etc. plus there are Constant Announcements and the OBS are Asking Passengers if they Need a Red Cap and Saying BS like They need to Get Off ASAP so they can Move the Train to the Yards Due to Rush Hour Starting etc. etc.It's not a Pleasant Scene But its a Good Opportunity to Take a Shower, Gather Your Stuff etc., As Long as the Crew are Getting Paid (the Food service Crew is Off) They Are Still on Duty and Must Remain with the Train and Not Make a Run for It Down the Platform like they do in Most Terminal Stations!

Coach Passengers are Rousted BEFORE Arrival into LAX and Must Leave the train ASAP after Hitting The Stop! The saving Grace for Sleeping Car Passengers Is That the New Metro Lounge Opens at 5AM and for Everyone is that Philipes Opens @ 6AM!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video of their piece:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/New-Luxury-Lounge-Opens-at-Los-Angeles-Union-Station-236620901.html

The photos that were posted earlier in this thread indicated that the furniture was only temporary, and that the permanent furniture would be in place by the opening. From the video, it looks like the furniture is indeed quite different. The rental chairs all appeared to be armless dining chairs. The new ones in the video look much more comfortable, and have laptop-type tables attached to them. This looks both comfortable and useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back