Late cz

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jheilman43402

Train Attendant
We are on the cz and are running 3 and a half hours lat due to heat. I am catching CL in Chicago at 6:10 we will not be in till 6:30 at earliest.will they hold it or what happens?

What's your final destination? They may hold it, they may put you on a bus to catch up to the train, they may put you on a later train (the Lake Shore Limited comes to mind), or they may put you up in a hotel for the night (at their expense) and put you on tomorrow's train.

Final is Toledo Ohio I know about half of train is catching that connection to other CL stops so hopefully they will hold

For Toledo, they'll put you on train 48. No holds for the Capitol Limited.

They just told us that. For most of train 30 they are keeping them overnight in Chicago and put them on tomorrow's 30 or 48 most people are getting bussed or moved to other later trains we were supposed to be in at 250 but will be in at 7

Sorry to hear that you were not able to make the connection and hope that the added overnight in CHI doesn't disrupt your plans too much.

Realizing you have other things on your mind, I'm curious where Amtrak puts you up for the night (if you're in that group).

Certainly no rush to post response... Get to where you're going, chill out, make the most of the trip.

I'll be making the connection from train 6 to train 30 three weeks from today. I'd be very interested in hearing about what happened also. Best wishes for the rest of your travels!

they ended up putting us on train 48 out of chicago to TOL and we got in at 3:30 am. But they lost our checked baggage. we are not sure where it is but all of it never made it to TOL we are hoping it is on the next train and we can pick it up on monday as there are only 2 trains eastbound that go through TOL one at 11pm and one at 3am. So we are home but without all of our clothes, and momentos from San Francisco.

Seems like we could be a little clearer about they "put you up in a hotel for the night (at their expense) and put you on tomorrow's train". That's not the story if you're travelling first class in sleeper because the chances of there being a sleeper available the next day are low to sometimes non-existent. So, AFAIK, they put you in coach and refund the accommodation part of your fare. I know some people are willing to switch from sleeper to coach but I'm not and I suspect I have company. So what's the reality here? E,g., if you're in a roomette and there's only a bedroom available the next day, will Amtrak give you the bedroom w/o charging you an extra $500 or whatever (high bucket since it's last minute)? Will Amtrak take the trouble to find you a sleeper by by combining some segments that have availability so that your only inconvenience is having to switch rooms? The only good thing I can see in this situation is that they at least happily cancel your ticket and give you a voucher for the full fare, which at least for those of us who ride regularly is just fine. -- Phil

we actually had coach out of chicago to tol on the CL so they gave us coach on the LSL i was not really upset except we arrived 5 hours later than we planned, and they lost our baggage. they put those who were getting off farther on down in rooms for the night. but we got on the next train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back