Lack of Sleepers on #66/#67

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the larger Airline seats that fully recline into beds, I'm not as sure about that. Would that not take up the same amount of space as a compartment? If it uses the same amount of space, than it would, theoretically, cost the same for amtrak as a sleeper. I might not be envisioning this correctly though.
Well the airline style seats could probably done in a 2/1 fashion, thus making it so that you can accommodate more people per car, but you also wouldn't be able to bunk beds like you do in a sleeper. So in all reality its six-to-one-half dozen the other.
Well, it would be cheaper than putting up walls and doors. Plus if you don't include meals and other 'perks' found in first class sleepers, the costs go down.

A LONG time ago, Amtrak needed sleeping arrangements for an all-Amfleet (therefore all HEP) coach train that was changed to overnight. VA/WV area, IIRC. Unfortunately, all sleepers were (then) all steam heat. SO, they took two Amfleet coaches and added bed machinery from Superliner sleepers (parts delivered to Pullman but un-assemble-able due to the long Pullman strike) and but two beds in each car at one end. So, a coach with two beds, separated by curtains.

The cars didn't last long, with uncertain privacy from he curtain walls being cited, but to be fair, the train didn't last long either.

Immediately afterwards, Amtrak started the "Heritage Fleet" program. But I'm not so sure that reviving the old "section car" is such a good idea. I've seen too many Marx Brothers and Three Stooges shorts to be comfortable with the idea.

Can you imagine a car full of Junior High Boy Scouts?

I rode Slumbercoaches four times, CIN-WAS in their twilight, and loved them. Three uppers, one lower.

A LONG time ago, Amtrak needed sleeping arrangements for an all-Amfleet (therefore all HEP) coach train that was changed to overnight. VA/WV area, IIRC. Unfortunately, all sleepers were (then) all steam heat. SO, they took two Amfleet coaches and added bed machinery from Superliner sleepers (parts delivered to Pullman but un-assemble-able due to the long Pullman strike) and but two beds in each car at one end. So, a coach with two beds, separated by curtains.
Wasn't one of those cars used for the train scene in Trading Places?

As for the larger Airline seats that fully recline into beds, I'm not as sure about that. Would that not take up the same amount of space as a compartment? If it uses the same amount of space, than it would, theoretically, cost the same for amtrak as a sleeper. I might not be envisioning this correctly though.
I say bring back the slumbercoaches! I thought they were great , I'm sure it won't happen but I would love to see them again. To me, #66/67 would be perfect for a slumbercoach, as well as other trains.
Transition dorm roomettes minus the meals and other goodies and you've got instant slumbercoach quality. The City rarely fills up the crew car but I bet it would if the price was right there would be a full revenue car. These messages must fly right over Washington because they sure never get implemented.

Well the airline style seats could probably done in a 2/1 fashion, thus making it so that you can accommodate more people per car, but you also wouldn't be able to bunk beds like you do in a sleeper. So in all reality its six-to-one-half dozen the other.
Well, it would be cheaper than putting up walls and doors. Plus if you don't include meals and other 'perks' found in first class sleepers, the costs go down.
I don't think the cost of putting up walls and doors is really a factor. It's how many people you can squeeze into a car, thus how many fares you can sell per car. I loved the slumbercoach concept, no meals, no first class perks, cheap fare, but you got a small room, and a real bed to sleep in. I know Amtrak is in no place to purchase new/refurbish old slumbercoach type cars, but it sure would be great, especially on trains like #66/67, and do we really need viewliners on the Cardinal? They could live without them I bet. The # of usable Viewliners is only going to go down as the years go on.

Anyone know the average long haul passenger count on 66/67? Are there that many people traveling overnight between WAS and BOS or BOS and WAS? Or, are there many who only go short distances and wouldn't need a sleeper?

Anyone know the average long haul passenger count on 66/67? Are there that many people traveling overnight between WAS and BOS or BOS and WAS? Or, are there many who only go short distances and wouldn't need a sleeper?
Well I can't speak to ridership in coach, although the few times that I did ride 66/67 the number of people boarding at the origination stations was substantial. I can tell you though that everytime I rode it, the sleeper was either sold out or very close to sold out. And I seem to recall reading a story once prior to the elimination of the sleeper that the sleeper occupancy rate was over 80%, which is a very respectable number.

Should this be a named train? It does operate out of the traditional boundaries of the regionals. It would be a great overnight sleeper train like was discussed above. The Palmetto and 66/67 should both have upper/lower berths like the Canadian.

Should this be a named train? It does operate out of the traditional boundaries of the regionals. It would be a great overnight sleeper train like was discussed above. The Palmetto and 66/67 should both have upper/lower berths like the Canadian.
Well, as has been alluded to in previous posts in this thread, 66/67 has carried a few names in its storied past: namely, The Federal and Twilight Shoreliner.

As far as I'm concerned, I really wish they'd reinstate the Twilight Shoreliner's consist and timetable. The current hour and a half layover in DC is a slap in the face to folks who want a quick evening trip from Richmond to Baltimore/Philly/NYP. It seems to me that they could just have the train hold in NYP or NHV in the wee hours of the morning.

-Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back