Kingman, Arizona Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am thinking of taking the Amtrak Thruway van from Las Vegas to connect with the Southwest Chief in Kingman. This involves waiting at the Kingman station at 1am for 30 minutes or longer if the Chief is late. I know the sration is unstaffed. Is this station a safe place to wait in the middle of the night? IS there a waiting room of any sort and typically will there be only a handful of people boarding here or is this a somewhat busy station?

We have done the Vegas trip twice, and each time there were no problems, nice little town, plus the train crew is right next door, as Kingman is a crew change, the first time we did it, the waiting room was a pigpen, it was not nice, but second time it was much better, not bad at all. There is a little store open around the corner, where you can get snacks and stuff, but each time we have done it, there were a lot of people waiting to board, so you should be ok

I think Davey is being a little sarcastic. That said, the Kingman station is hardly a wilderness, being right on old Route 66 in downtown Kingman. According to the Amtrak web site the station does have an enclosed waiting room, with restrooms available, and it is the third-busiest station in Arizona behind only Flagstaff and Tucson. I think you'll be all right.

As folks have noted, there's usually a number of others waiting to board. And despite the hour, it's downtown Kingman and there are a few isolated businesses open. I wouldn't worry. Is the station itself now open?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just in Kingman last September. The station waiting area is new, well just renovated. It is a smaller waiting room with one restroom and a drinking fountain which did not work but it was very clean. There are not any vending machines, I post this because I had that question before I went. There are Amtrak conductors in a seperate room at the station. The conductor comes out and tells you what will happen. I know there is a convenience store about a block or two away but I personally would not seek it out, I mean it is in the middle of night. There is a bar down across the street from the station but the shuttle van driver told us to stay away from there, I think he said something about fighting. I think the station is safe, there were about 7 or 8 of us getting on. I felt safe there but I do keep my eye open.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Thanks for the photos and updated info! I lived in Kingman for a time in the 1980s, so I'm glad to see the station has been refurbished.

The station is very nice. I had been to the old waiting area across the street and was very excited to see the renovation of the actual station. I was very surprised at how small the waiting area is, I guess I thought it would be the whole length of the building.

Thanks for the information and pictures from everyone who responded.

Im thinking of doing the same route enroute to Denver and I had the same feelings, but thanks for the review and pictures!! ;)

I remember Kingman as a dusty little town on the edge of the Mojave desert. There is little danger waiting at the Amtrak depot because there is nothing going on in this sleepy little town. Biggest danger would be if an old time western gun fight broke out on the main street. Pop. is 28k, but I think they stretch it a bit.

I was just in Kingman last September. The station waiting area is new, well just renovated. It is a smaller waiting room with one restroom and a drinking fountain which did not work but it was very clean. There are not any vending machines, I post this because I had that question before I went. There are Amtrak conductors in a seperate room at the station. The conductor comes out and tells you what will happen. I know there is a convenience store about a block or two away but I personally would not seek it out, I mean it is in the middle of night. There is a bar down across the street from the station but the shuttle van driver told us to stay away from there, I think he said something about fighting. I think the station is safe, there were about 7 or 8 of us getting on. I felt safe there but I do keep my eye open.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

Thanks for the pictures!! I am happy to see what it looks like. Did you also take that 2:00 a.m. train to Raton, NM? I would be by myself, and as a female, I would feel a little spooky normally, but you made me a little more at ease. Any hints or tips? Thanks! Kelly

I will be going on this trip to from Kansas to Las Vegas and we will take the bus from Kingman I worry about getting to Vegas at 3:10 does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to get a rent a car when we arrive to Vegas and get a room for a couple of hours tell we can get into our Hotel at 4pm? I thought about getting a room in Kingman and getting a car there? suggestions??

The shuttle (van) from Kingman goes right to the LV airport. It is a 24 hour airport, and most (if not all) car rental agencies are open 24 hours. So there will be no problem getting a car at that hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back