KCY-NOL-HOU-LAX July, '07

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
School was out for the summer, so I decided to do a little train trip, because flying everywhere is rater dull, and not that exiting.

I flew out to Kansas City (the train was like $300, so I had to fly due to lack of funds at the time) to spend some time with some friends. After a few weeks there I hopped on the 314 Ann Rutlage from KC to Meet up with some friends from school that were in New Orleans.

The train was 4 hours late by the time we got to St. Louis where I had a Thruway to Carbondale Illinois. It was really not a very nice ride at all. There were a ton of kids that were being totally out of control, and the parents didn't seem to care that maybe others didn't think it was appropriate for kids to be using te asles as a playgound.

Anyway, late as we were, we arrived in St. Louis where a van took me and four others to Carbondale, lL where we were to meet up with the City Of New Orleans.

The train was of course late, it was about 1:45am when it finally came. It wasn't very full, and a very, very nice ride. The track was really smooth and the crew was really nice and friendly, and the scenery was amazing. I dont think we had to pull over for a single frieght train the entire way, and by the time we got to New Orleans we were 45 minutes early! I have never heard of an Amtrak being early before...

New Orleans was a great city and I really hope I get to go back soon. I left New Orleans on the Sunset Limited on my way to Houston to visit some family. I am glad I decided to stop off in Houston instead of go all the way to Los Angeles that day http://trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/1173893/ShowPost.aspx , I hate busses. The train was just packed, I think it was close to sold out. Lots of waiting and delays, we were about 3 1/2 hours late by the time we got to Houston.

The next Monday I departed on the (3 hours late) Sunset Limited again. This was actaully one of the worst Amtrak trips I have taken. It was pretty much sold out the entire way. There was a group of the most rude people I have ever had to travel with. They had about 12-14 kids with them, and let them just run wild. They made just awful messes in the Sightseer Lounge, I felt awful for the nice attendant lady that had to clean it. And the Parents were constantly talking and yelling inapropriate language around there kids, and everyone else on the train. I do want to hand it to the coach attendant. I couln't sleep next to this old guy they put me next to, so she gave up her crew seat at the back of the car so I could sleep. On the second night, when these people got off in El Paso, she saved two open seats for me so I could again sleep. Finally we arrived at LAX about 6 hours late.

So it was long trip, and pretty fun, except for my Sunset Limited trip. The staff along my whole journey was just wonderful, and hopefully next summer I can do a simmilar trip. Im planning the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago, and then the Lake Shore Limited to New York, and catch the Cresent to New Orleans.

Here are the photos

June 2007 Album

Sorry I dont have any descriptions about each photo, I have never used Webshots.com before and I guess it wont let you go in later and add them. If anyone has any questions about any of them, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back