Just walked past the Cleveland Amtrak station----

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve smith

--Going to and from a continuing legal education class today at the Jones, Day firm in downtown Cleveland, I walked over the old New York Central tracks that lead to the nearby Amtrak station [this is the NYC to Chicago line]..... BOY did I want to go to the station and hop on the next train through....! Need to plan a trip and ride the rails!!!!! I'm sure most of you can understand.....

Every time I hear the CS come through on the scanner, makes me want to grab a seat on it - even if just ride it to the end and then back. :) I think it's called Trainitis - it might be curable, but I'm not looking for one. :)

Hi, Steve. I live a half-mile from the Amtrak station in my city, so I understand completely. It's served by the Blue Water and Wolverine, so I hear a few trains every day. Every time I hear a train go by, I wish I was on it. :)

I find that traveling on the trains makes the world problems go away for just a little time of peace and calm. I look forward to riding all the time. Whenever I see a video or hear a train whistle it makes me want to wash all the worries away.

The last time I boarded a train in Cleveland it was at the beautiful Terminal Tower which is shopping mall. I have travelled through the current Cleveland Amtrak Station on the LSL and CL a few times. I departed Terminal Tower on PC no name train to Boston on New Years eve 1971. Amtrak was coming. PC still had 10 trains and EL had a commuter train.

aRThe last time I boarded a train in Cleveland it was at the beautiful Terminal Tower which is shopping mall. I have travelled through the current Cleveland Amtrak Station on the LSL and CL a few times. I departed Terminal Tower on PC no name train to Boston on New Years eve 1971. Amtrak was coming. PC still had 10 trains and EL had a commuter train.
I really liked that old station. It even had the easternmost Harvey House restaurant and shops in the far flung Fred Harvey system.

Sadly, the only trains you can still board there are the RTA transit and light rail .....

aRThe last time I boarded a train in Cleveland it was at the beautiful Terminal Tower which is shopping mall. I have travelled through the current Cleveland Amtrak Station on the LSL and CL a few times. I departed Terminal Tower on PC no name train to Boston on New Years eve 1971. Amtrak was coming. PC still had 10 trains and EL had a commuter train.
I really liked that old station. It even had the easternmost Harvey House restaurant and shops in the far flung Fred Harvey system.

Sadly, the only trains you can still board there are the RTA transit and light rail .....
The Harvey Houses, the Harvey Girls, the Fred Harvey ethos - all interesting pieces of history... have three or four books on such in the family library. Also another example of the third generation law: the first generation has the fire in the belly, has the idea; the 2nd typically trained by the first gets "it" pretty much right, may bring in some innovations that actually improve on the original idea; but by the third generation, they never new the 1st gen, weren't trained by the first... they run it into the ground, and then sell off the corpse trying to pocket as much as possible.

The parking lot could use some work. Now I know what they did with the tank traps from the test track at the old tank plant near the airport.

OK, here's the cure for "Trainitis" or for the rest of us addicts that need our fix "I'm David and I love trains... Hi David"

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/trailsandrails/index.htm

I get my train fix 2-3 times a month from April through late September. Its a great way to volunteer, meet people AND get aboard your local AMTRAK train... FOR FREE!

"ALL ABOARD!"

I would imagine there might be a lot of competition to land one of those voluntary position's, even though they are unpaid, other than the train ride.....

Yes, the English Oak Room is the Fred Harvey Restaurant in Cleveland's Terminal Tower, still preserved and available for rental for parties. And New Year's Eve in 1970 and 1971, which you mentioned, i was there too, right by the Cleveland train station! Not on a train, alas, but right nearby at Cleveland State University. The Cleveland Station is right by beautiful Lake Erie. Thanks to all who answered!

Had a chance to have dinner in the English Oak Room as part of a railroad historical society convention. The menu consisted of selections from the old menus of trains of the past. Erie, NYC, PRR, etc. What a great evening that was! Never saw the Terminal Tower in its passenger train heyday, but that night brought back great memories for the older gentlemen who attended and remembered riding trains from there.

Besides the fancy restaurant, I believe Fred Harvey also had a lunchroom with counters, a gift shop, and maybe a pharmacy (not sure of that), in the Terminal Tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back