Just 'Cause We Need Another Dining Car Thread...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: the discussion about the appropriateness of “oriental”

How we address and refer to one another is largely governed by manners. The law rarely governs these matters. When manners are gathered together and written down, they reflect behavior that is respectful and considerate of others. Good manners smooth our interaction with everyone, especially strangers.

Few of the people that read and post on these forums actually know one another or each other’s identifying characteristics. We have been brought together by a common interest and it is probably wise to assume great diversity among the group.

When I meet new people in a business or social situation, I try to focus on something we have in common. If I unintentionally offend someone, I immediately apologize. Establishing rapport and good relations trumps my right to say whatever was found offensive. In effect I would be saying, “I care about how you feel.” To do the opposite would clearly be saying, “I don’t care how you feel.”, and that is both hostile and offensive.

The term “oriental” may lack the venom and special place in our culture of the “n-word”, but for the last 30 years or so Asians have made it pretty clear that that is how they prefer to be referred to. To ignore that preference for so long, insist upon doing otherwise and then say the problem lies with the other person says a great deal.

If someone receives poor service in an Amtrak dining car, they should write a letter to Amtrak that notes the deficiency, describes the offending employee(s) and bends over backwards to avoid loaded language. Two things will likely result: 1) management will have an opportunity to intervene with the offending employee and the employee will be denied the excuse that the complaint was based on prejudice, rather than poor service; and 2) you will likely receive a customer service voucher applicable to future travel.

Taking the time to carefully craft that which we commit to writing pays meaningful dividends.

The OP started out with a legitimate point, but undermined him or herself by how he or she said it. The proof of that is in how the discussion has proceeded.

My boss at a major metropolitan newspaper group once insisted that "Oriental rug" was racist and forced us to refer to these things as "Asian rugs."

I don't use the term "Oriental" unless describing a rug, because I know it can be offensive, but why is it offensive?
My guess is that it has some linkage with Orientalism (though I won't necessarily recommend it, if you wish you can read Edward Said's rather long winded seminal work on the subject, with the title Orientalism, available from among others amazon.com), which for many Asians brings bad associations with Western imperialism. Mind you, again, this is just my guess, and I was born and brought up in a country that had just shed its imperialist yokes, and China at that time was in a similar situation as was most of SE Asia. So while the term does not bother me (and indeed most Indians do not consider themselves to be Oriental in any way, shape or form, consistent with what Cirdan mentioned above) I can appreciate why someone may be bothered by the term , specially in the far east. Interestingly Edward Said was born in Jerusalem in the British Mandate of Palestine, so the term applies in slightly different meanings in different parts of Asia and occasionally even to North East Africa.

Let me add that it is possible that some completely disagrees with my guess. If that is the case, please let us take this discussion off-liner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use the term "Oriental" unless describing a rug, because I know it can be offensive, but why is it offensive?

To me, "Oriental" makes me think of beauty - the Orient region, jade, gorgeous colors and fabrics, beautiful sculpture, old religions, colorful food, etc. It's exotic.

How did such a beautiful term turn ugly? I'm genuinely curious.
Mostly because it's vague. "Orient" just means "East". The opposite is "Occident", which means "West". So "Oriental" has traditionally been used to lump together cultures as disparate and unrelated as Egypt, Turkey, Iran, China, Japan, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. The use of "Oriental" came originally from a mentality which went "Well, they're from somewhere east of Europe, so they're all the same". Since that attitude is offensive, that's why the term is considered offensive.

"Orientalism" is the attitude of treating "all that non-European stuff" as "exotic", while treating the European stuff (actually equally exotic to many of us in America!) as "normal".

I refer to "Turkish carpets" or "Persian carpets", myself. :) They don't generally come from China!

"Occidental Petroleum" drilled oil wells in the west of the US, and that wasn't an offensive usage. ("Oriental Petroleum" could perfectly well have been a company drilling in Boston, the "East", but in fact it's in the Phillipines.)

The "Orient Express" was also not offensive in the same way because, from its starting point in Paris, it *was* actually the express to *all* points east. Though it did have an obvious bias in point of view -- people living in Constantinople/Istanbul would have thought that the "Paris Express" was a more sensible name. :)

(Along the same lines, note that the California Zephyr is clearly marketed to people in the Midwest and East Coast, with California as the "exotic other". If California were considered "normal", it would be the Chicago Zephyr, but instead Chicago is considered the default. Many of the other Amtrak train names are quite deliberately neutral regarding the two ends of the route; some are named after the scenery in the middle.)

BTW, about 20 years ago or so, I was informed by a PC friend of mine that it was insensitive to refer to Asians as Orientals. I do my best to be PC, and refer to people of Asian descent as "Asians."
If you're just going based on looks or accent, you can probably already tell "East Asian" (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) from "Middle Eastern" (uh, Southwest Asian if you're really being PC) from "Indian", even if you can't distinguish "Southeast Asian" or "Pacific Islander" (which I can't).

I'm partly "of Asian descent", but I would usually say "of East Indian descent"!

This is just to make the point that the offensive part of this, to me anyway, is the "it's not European so it's all the same" generalization. I'm not so fond of "white" either, which is another generalization which obscures more than it helps. I'm yellowish-pink, some people are pale pink, only polar bears are white.

Alas, I've never had dinner in the diner aboard the Orient Express, but I'll bet it is a lot better than dinner in the diner while in Carolina. :D

Someone please explain why this thread is able to continue with the title of dining car when obviously everyone wants to discuss what to call someone.
I don't know, but this appears to be the newest way to keep the never-ending new threads on the dining car relevant.

"Oriental" is merely referring to people from the "orient" which includes numerous races, cultures, and nations, some of which have enjoyed status at or near the top of the social, scientific, and political food chain for centuries. The term oriental is not intended or assumed to be offensive in and of itself. You could certainly say it's outdated and that it's associated with an era that was far less sophisticated than today, but calling it offensive on the same level as one of the most uniquely offensive words in the entire English dictionary is truly absurd.
no sorry it's offensive simple....the "N" word is outdated and associated with it's own era that was far less sophisticated than today...simple correction should not be offensive but simple remember in the future they are "Asian"...Oriental technically cover more area but I dare question someone in modern society would every call a Turk or a Middle-Eastern person Oriental....and before you get on your high horse about how "white" I am...well I happen to be one of them "N" words...and one of them card-carrying "F" words too...

OK, you got me . . . which "F" word is that? (If it has asterisks in it, well, never mind.)

This entire thread has been fascinating. It goes to show, I think, that everyone has a singular view of identity politics. Let's all go to the dining car and discuss this issue further over some New York cut steaks and red wine. We'll be mellower, won't we?

OK, you got me . . . which "F" word is that? (If it has asterisks in it, well, never mind.)

This entire thread has been fascinating. It goes to show, I think, that everyone has a singular view of identity politics. Let's all go to the dining car and discuss this issue further over some New York cut steaks and red wine. We'll be mellower, won't we?
Henry, I assume it is "Fa**ot", which is OK for me to say since I carry that card also...LOL

F****t sure is as ugly as the N-word, and so is D***y, the card I carry. (To be PC, I'm hearing challenged.) Waiter, may I have another cup of coffee?

F****t sure is as ugly as the N-word, and so is D***y, the card I carry. (To be PC, I'm hearing challenged.) Waiter, may I have another cup of coffee?
I thought it was D***ie. And we call the "others" H***ie. j/k I don't use either of those, but do see them used on another forum.

"Oriental" is merely referring to people from the "orient" which includes numerous races, cultures, and nations, some of which have enjoyed status at or near the top of the social, scientific, and political food chain for centuries. The term oriental is not intended or assumed to be offensive in and of itself. You could certainly say it's outdated and that it's associated with an era that was far less sophisticated than today, but calling it offensive on the same level as one of the most uniquely offensive words in the entire English dictionary is truly absurd.

no sorry it's offensive simple....the "N" word is outdated and associated with it's own era that was far less sophisticated than today...simple correction should not be offensive but simple remember in the future they are "Asian"...Oriental technically cover more area but I dare question someone in modern society would every call a Turk or a Middle-Eastern person Oriental....and before you get on your high horse about how "white" I am...well I happen to be one of them "N" words...and one of them card-carrying "F" words too...
I’m about as socially liberal and as secular as they come, in Texas anyway. I’m a member of a mathematical minority where I live and I’ve witnessed racism, sexism, ageism, nationalism, sectarianism, you name it. I bring it up because it’s true and because I believe it gives credence to the idea that I have a fairly accurate understanding of what is intended to be offensive from the occidental perspective. I’ve met a couple dozen folks from the forum in person and I’ve visited Asia around a dozen times. In other words I’m not forming my views out of thin air.

Like Sorcha I do not personally use the term Oriental out of deference to the fact that it’s a rather vague and general term that adds little to the discussion, but neither do I understand why people choose to take such offense to it that they would unwittingly include it with terms that are almost universally hateful and harmful. It’s even getting to the point that referring to something as “exotic” is a negative, even though in my experience it’s generally a term used to show genuine curiosity and interest. Taking offense is your prerogative but does not mean your view is any more valid than anyone who is not offended or who is not intending to offend.

I’m generally open to hearing from the “politically correct” among us, but I don’t necessarily agree with everything the PC crowd has to say. I also feel there is a point at which the PC view can be subverted and begin to work in reverse if it’s taken too far. By lumping in a rather vague and relatively harmless term like Oriental with overt personal attacks like n*gg*r or f*gg*t you’re actually doing more harm than good in my view. When I was young and ignorant I used words like “Oriental” in terms of appreciation and fondness. If you choose to be offended by my interest and curiosity in other cultures simply by my choice of words I cannot prevent that, but I can point out how silly and absurd that sounds to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back