July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like we won't really be able to figure out how ridership was effected by "fresh choices" until at least January. And even that would only tell us what ridership is like for four months in the off-season. My point is, it's going to be a while before we can really get a sense of how the LSL and Capitol are faring from this.

This was posted in the Texas Eagle Facebook group. One of the members there sent Amtrak a letter with his concerns about contemporary dining following a trip on the Southwest Chief, and here is the response he got, which is supposedly from Stephen Gardner himself:

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 1.49.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 1.56.26 AM.png

Apparently "a hot breakfast option is coming on August 15". Considering that was almost two weeks ago, I don't really know what conclusions to draw from that. Still, here's a letter suppose

I wonder who wrote that letter for Mr. Gardner, and with the August 15 date mentioned, when it was composed. It would not surp rise me to learn that someone wrote up some paragraphs addressing common issues/complaints that have arisen along the way, and put these paragraphs together to get a letter out of them.

Heh, all that Congress has to do is make the 2019 funding contingent upon continuing to run all current LD trains on their present routes.. They could also designate an amount equal to what Amtrak claims is necessary for the SWC, to the SWC from an appropriation that is already larger than anything Amtrak asked for. Then everyone can declare victory and get to work.

This game is far from over IMHO. Just keep hammering the Congresspeople.

Last edited by a moderator:
The letter talks about Amtrak having to reduce its subsidy? Hello... Congress is and has substantially increased said subsidy for the national network. The SWC is the most practical LD western train we have in many ways.

The letter talks about Amtrak having to reduce its subsidy? Hello... Congress is and has substantially increased said subsidy for the national network. The SWC is the most practical LD western train we have in many ways.ST
This again goes back to language regarding reducing subsidy that the same Congress found fit to include in bills that found their way into 49CFR. They have the power to remove said language but have not seen it fit to do so yet..

IMHO the whole relationship between the federal government and Amtrak needs to be cast in the form of a Contract wherein Amtrak provides certain specified services in exchange for a certain agreed upon Contract Fee. Then Congress (through appropriations to be managed by SecDOT) can specify what services must be provided for how much fee each year, and they could even strike deal spanning multiple years like they do in the Defense Industry all the time. But I believe Congress doesn't trust itself to be sane enough to manage such a venture, hence the mess that we have.

Heh, all that Congress has to do is make the 2019 funding contingent upon continuing to run all current LD trains on their present routes.. They could also designate an amount equal to what Amtrak claims is necessary for the SWC, to the SWC from an appropriation that is already alrger than anything Amtrak asked for. Then everyone can declare victory and get to work.

But do they really care enough or understand this issue enough to bother doing that?

Heh, all that Congress has to do is make the 2019 funding contingent upon continuing to run all current LD trains on their present routes.. They could also designate an amount equal to what Amtrak claims is necessary for the SWC, to the SWC from an appropriation that is already alrger than anything Amtrak asked for. Then everyone can declare victory and get to work.

But do they really care enough or understand this issue enough to bother doing that?
That is where we come in. It is up to us, an engaged constituency, to educate them and light the fire under their rear ends.

Brightline is a totally different experience. I rode Brightline the first month they were in operation. They will, if they continue, show everyone what rail travel can be in the USA and how relevant it is. Their train stations resemble an airline terminal designed by IKEA. Their trains have modern touches like ramps that bridge the gap between the train and the platform (no more "mind the gap"). The interior of the cars are fine.. nothing overly special and actually, like Amtrak, a bit sterile (the best passenger train equipment in the USA, imho, is the Carolina owned equipment.).

My problem is.. you're comparing an in-station lounge with an on-board meal. Amtrak does pretty good with at-seat meals on the Acela trains, complete with silver ware, china, etc. And all without a chef! So it's very possible for Amtrak to provide a better product.

IMG_1535675125.612423.jpg. On ACELA First Class today. IMG_1535675232.188692.jpg. The Menu has 3 versions that rotate, this would be a good menu for trains like the Lake Shore and Capitol Limited, as opposed to what they now offer. 2 LSA’s provided service to our sold out first class car.

attachicon.gif
IMG_1535675125.612423.jpg. On ACELA First Class today.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1535675232.188692.jpg. The Menu has 3 versions that rotate, this would be a good menu for trains like the Lake Shore and Capitol Limited, as opposed to what they now offer. 2 LSA’s provided service to our sold out first class car.
From what I've heard though, the Acela First Class meals are pretty small. That might not be ideal for an overnight train.

attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
IMG_1535675232.188692.jpg. The Menu has 3 versions that rotate, this would be a good menu for trains like the Lake Shore and Capitol Limited, as opposed to what they now offer. 2 LSA’s provided service to our sold out first class car.
From what I've heard though, the Acela First Class meals are pretty small. That might not be ideal for an overnight train.
. Judge for yourself, the ACELA First Class meals aren’t that small. IMG_1535676113.947002.jpg

attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
. Judge for yourself, the ACELA First Class meals aren’t that small.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1535676113.947002.jpg
Oh. not bad. I'd seen pictures and reviews of Acela First meals, and they were (or at least looked) a lot smaller.

attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
Looks pretty similar to what I had on Via Rail Business.

attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
Is it good, though? (at least compared to the fare in conventional dining cars and/or the boxed meals)

Yes it is as good as similar items served in the Dining Cars. In both places they are pre-plated things that are heated and served. Why would they be that different?

You really need to ride and experience things and then comment about it instead of regurgitating others opinions.

attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
attachicon.gif
Looks pretty similar to what I had on Via Rail Business.
. The concept is similar, but VIA Rails corridor business class is more expansive with the beverage trolley, and real hot towel service. IMG_1535735609.229916.jpg

But coming back to the topic - I was just looking at the bookings on the first and second run of the LSL from NYP starting this weekend, and bookings seem very healthy. Sleeper fare is upto $1100, Roomettes sold out. While ridership has been down over 10% for July, it will be interesting to see how quickly it recovers, and whether it recovers to pre NYP track work levels, in spite of the food service changes.

It would be also interesting to see what the consist looks like. Trying to serve 6 or 7 Coaches worth of passengers through half a Cafe/Lounge seems a bit of a stretch, now that the Diner is off limits to the Coach passengers. Ideally a full Diner Lite would seem to make sense in addition to the BC/Lounge, but probably won;t happen.

Also, the Amfleet IIs should now get restored to the Maple Leaf and the Adirondack. Lets see how that goes.

Back