Julie, her bug and the Empire Builder/Coast Starlight train adventure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
A trip report on a beautiful but ummm…interesting trip.

We left San Jose on our Southwest flight and 30 minutes in to the flight I got clobbered with the stomach flu. The bad news is that we had to transfer to another 2 hours flight from Denver to Milwaukee. All our plans for dinner with friends, touring the Art Institute of Chicago and deep dish pizza went by the wayside. Bob called Julie and we changed our Hiawatha train from 8 to 11:15 to give me more time to be sick in our hotel room.

We boarded the train at the Milwaukee Airport station right on time. There is a vending machine there and we purchased some crackers so I could nibble on the train. After our arrival at CUS, we dropped our bags off and went touring to the famous CVS to stock up on some items to help me survive the next 48 hours. We visited the food court where I indulged in a pretzel and returned to the Metropolitan Lounge. Shortly before departure, we were called up to check in for our train and before too long, we were called to board …. The Empire Builder!

Since we were transferring to the Coast Starlight, we booked our train to Portland, which would also afford us new territory to enjoy. We also splurged on our very first bedroom, which my husband adored. Our attendant was Jim, who was a very good, very kind attendant. Being the last car was kind of cool too but couldn’t hear the horn too well.

Since it had been raining in Chicago, I was looking forward to colder weather and we got it. We were on time most of the trip but we did have a 30 minute delay in Milwaukee due to an inspection. We actually hit some snow and I actually got to enjoy some snow flurries on one of the rest stops. When we arrived in Minot, it was 0, which didn’t feel too bad when we were first walking around. When we turned around, we realized there was a itty bitty wind that kicked our soft California booties and had us scurrying in to the train a few cars before the caboose ;)

The morning got colder and colder but we were mostly warm and snug in our bedroom. Our temperature adjustment dial actually worked very well, so we were able to heat and cool with ease. We had another 20 minute or so delay in Stanley… rumor is someone was going to be leaving the train and they didn’t know about it.

The ride and weather were just beautiful and all of our dining companions were just great. Unfortunately, I tried to eat things I wasn’t supposed too… thought I was eating bland foods but by Saturday night, I had a major relapse….. so by Sunday morning I was a bit of a zombie but had my list of what to eat…BRAT….and settled down with my Gatorade while my husband enjoyed his boxed breakfast while we enjoyed the Columbia River scenery…. Beautiful. We will be back when I actually can enjoy anything ;)

We got in to Portland a tick early and took a quick walk to …no, not Voodoo Doughnuts but Rite-Aid for again, more essentials for me to survive another 24 hours. I am continually shocked at the homeless situation in Portland. The lounge attendant helped guide us with streets to avoid but I feel uncomfortable walking the streets, which is sad since it’s such a beautiful and easy walking city.

The Coast Starlight was right on time coming in to the station. We boarded and got in to our roomette. Boy, that was an adjustment after the bedroom and I had more bags with all the food I was lugging around – which I normally don’t need – crackers, Gatorade, yogurt, bananas….. David was our attendant and …. When he was good, he was very, very good but he let us down once. We were delayed for a bit while still in Oregon for a medical emergency – and thanks to the crews for excellent communication! I wasn’t going to eat but the LSA said I could order whatever I wanted for dinner so I had a roll and rice in the diner and it was really good. Of course, it wasn’t my husband’s steak but…really missed the lasagna. When we went back to our room, we were watching a movie and when David came by at 8 to turn down the beds, we asked him to come back in an hour. Well, when he wasn’t back by 10, we put our beds down ourselves. Turns out he showed up shortly after we were just finishing up because it was someone’s birthday…..

I slept like a rock on the train. Best 8 hours of sleep I’ve had on the train but I earned it! When we went to breakfast so I could have a roll and yogurt, I brought my camera. After breakfast, we went back to our room to organize our bags and OMG! Where is the camera?? No sooner than I discovered the camera was gone – a Christmas present from my sweetie – then I hear… “Hello…is someone missing their camera?” It was the LSA! He found it and hand delivered it… all while taking pictures on the way to our room! He even got a picture of me! I, in turn, took a picture of him and our attendant. When he left, I asked our attendant his name and he said “Merle.” Merle!!!! He was the Snack Bar attendant on our nightmare Sunset Limited trip… and I ran and talked to him! He remembered that trip… I remember watching him falling asleep in between bites in the diner on that trip. No wonder he sounded so familiar! He’s a gem and was really a highlight of this trip!

We got off in San Jose, a bit early and hopped on CalTrain to Santa Clara University and from there, to the free 10 bus to the airport to pick up our car. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to be home after a train trip in my life….. but on our last segment, my husband came up with a cool trip… so it’s back to the planning and dreaming board…but without the flu the next time!

Link to pictures …

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97163322@N02/albums/72157663341955361

Hi, thanks for an interesting trip report and photos... the pics remind me of why I like to visit America, and the snow scenes looked refreshing.

Sorry to hear of your tummy bug... like you, I was glad to get home from my last India trip !

I remember seeing long lines of folk waiting to be admitted to a free food venue in Portland, I had assumed it was as a result of the recession, but maybe such folk gravitate to the west coast, in the hope of good weather, or maybe more benevolent treatment?

I don't have much idea of how America deals with unemployed or homeless folk, do they get much statutory govt. help, or is it mostly through charities?

Better luck for your next adventure,

Ed. :cool:

Great report and photos! You are a real trouper to have maintained such a positive attitude and sense of humor. You sound like a fun lady, too. I loved all the beautiful cold and snowy pics. I'm doing my 22nd EB trip this April (into PDX and then Cascades to SEA), and never tire of it. Agreed about the homeless situation in Portland. My daughter went to school out there, and it has gotten worse in the last few years. What really makes me extra sad is to see a lot of them with homeless dogs as well! It must be a tough food decision as to who gets what and first. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks, BobnJulie. I enjoyed your report and the photos. I've been spoiled to the Superliner Bedrooms too. I usually request Bedroom D if it's available. I'm riding the Empire Builder to Seattle last of March and staying a week in Seattle before traveling back via the Coast Starlight and California Zephyr, and City of New Orleans to New Orleans. Fly home to Nashville from there.

Thanks for the comments! Since I live in the Monterey Bay area, I am a snow junkie and was so disappointed when we took the Zephyr December 2014 - even though that was a great trip. Loved the cold and the landscape just fascinated me.... and loved coming home to our temperate climate ;)

Is Bedroom D better than E or is one better than the other? I liked E since we weren't surround by both sides.

Ed, I believe that it is a combination of charities and government that assist. I think the drought and our weather contributed to a migration of homelessness along with sky high housing prices and sky high abuse of opiate over prescribing - leading to drug abuse. I know that Santa Cruz has been dealing with people who camp illegally but even though we were told what streets to avoid, really it is hard to find a place to walk that didn't have people living on the street. Most were quiet but you do run in to the screamers - which is scary for me with my limited mobility...but then I just clutch my crutches harder and prepare to use them as Don Quixote ;)

I found an artlcle for you to read Ed:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/think-portlands-homelessness-problem-is-bad/Content?oid=17178247

I came home trying to recover from the bug and ended up with the flu so I can enjoy all the other trip reports!

Every time I read this threads title, I think of Amtrak Julie and think she has a <computer> bug. :D

Is Bedroom D better than E or is one better than the other? I liked E since we weren't surround by both sides.
Given a choice, I would pick E for the reason you gave. Also because it is closer to the stairs, although some people consider that a disadvantage.

I often choose D(E is okay too) because way back when the Superliners were new in 1980's, Bedroom D usually rode with the couch facing forward and it was near center of the train. Now a days, that does not ring true anymore since the sleepers can be either direction. In fact, on my recent trip since they moved the sleepers forward, my room D couch rode backwards. Not a problem but it takes a little getting use to. Since I consider the chair seat uncomfortable, I usually use it to place my carry-on bag so I can live out of it during the trip.

Back