It's official

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I originally posted the picture was because I was interested on the seating in the lounge.
Having now learned that seating might not be available for me in the lounge, even if I get there when it first opens, does anyone know what they do for someone like me who cannot stand for an extended period of time or advise what I should do to insure proper boarding on the CS if I need to sit in another area of the station.

Any suggestions would be appreciated except for me to start crying and screaming like a banshee? :unsure: :lol:
Aloha Sky

If you return to the original Picture that we were talking about the Traxx CS Lounge you will see an arch and wall in the back of the picture. Between that and the Traxx location you can see seats (very comfortable) where you can wait. From the seats you can see the area where he CS passengers wait (if they don't have seats there) and the Boarding gates so you will know when to board the train. Somewhere on this board someone mentioned which Track/Platform the Cs uses but there are no seats on the platform, you will want to use the cart service if walking is a problem for you.
Thanks Eric! I can't really see the chairs, but if they don't have arms I should be ok!

Those chairs are like a royality for us "kings and queens". (Playing "God Saves the Queen (and King, too)"!
Aloha

As gswager said the are comfortable, but they have arms. Built much like a recliner in size, but does not recline. I would worry most that if I were tired how easy it is to fall asleep in them. :rolleyes: Just be sure the Coast Starlight Attendants know where you are.

Wish I was riding with you, but this month I ride the Texas Eagle. :)

Eric

Those chairs are like a royality for us "kings and queens". (Playing "God Saves the Queen (and King, too)"!
With Eric mentioning that there are arms on the chairs, it's a hit or miss with me. Maybe I will have to go to the mens room and act like "royality" and sit on the throne; I'll be KING FOR THE DAY! :D
Aloha

But those chairs are large and REALLY nice

I forget when you are going but if it's after my trip I will get a picture.

Eric

With Eric mentioning that there are arms on the chairs, it's a hit or miss with me. Maybe I will have to go to the mens room and act like "royality" and sit on the throne; I'll be KING FOR THE DAY! :D
Um...you've obviously never been to Union Station. The men's rooms are far from a royal experience. You'll likely not want to sit...even standing in one as briefly as possible will make you want to bathe in Purell®. :p Just wait until you board (the CS originates there, so they'll theoretically be sparkly and new onboard).

On the other hand, the men's rooms have those cool dryers that use sheer windspeed, rather than heat, to dry your hands. :)

Um...you've obviously never been to Union Station. The men's rooms are far from a royal experience. You'll likely not want to sit...even standing in one as briefly as possible will make you want to bathe in Purell®. :p Just wait until you board (the CS originates there, so they'll theoretically be sparkly and new onboard).

On the other hand, the men's rooms have those cool dryers that use sheer windspeed, rather than heat, to dry your hands. :)
Chuljin, do the cool dryers have an adequate wind chill factor where I should wear a wind breaker, or is there no such thing in Southern Cal as wind chill? :lol:

Eric, I'll be going on the CS early July!

Chuljin, do the cool dryers have an adequate wind chill factor where I should wear a wind breaker, or is there no such thing in Southern Cal as wind chill? :lol:

I think the brand name of those dryers (I first saw them in Australia) is AirBlade or something similar. Be careful--they really do just about shave your skin right off! :lol:

I think the brand name of those dryers (I first saw them in Australia) is AirBlade or something similar. Be careful--they really do just about shave your skin right off! :lol:
The ones that I've seen have been Xlerator. Those are the ones they have at GCT in New York and at many other places I've been around the country. Never stopped in the bathrooms of LAUS when I was there, so I really don't know if they're the same ones.

At the risk of now wandering very very far off topic: :p

Contrary to popular belief, it can get chilly in SoCal (as it is now, in a limited way). It is also very often windy. So there is wind chill, though it's the kind that turns a real 50° into an effective 40°, rather than the kind that turns a real 15° into an effective -5°. :p

The ones that I've seen have been Xlerator. Those are the ones they have at GCT in New York and at many other places I've been around the country. Never stopped in the bathrooms of LAUS when I was there, so I really don't know if they're the same ones.
These are indeed the Xcelerators. I've only seen them in three places:

1. Union Station
  2. A Filipino restaurant in Glendale called 'Max's of Manila'
  3. (interestingly) on the Discovery Channel show How It's Made

They don't shave your skin off...but they do send waves across it (cf. the old films of what a wind tunnel does to the face of a guy strapped into a chair therein). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find the AirBlade in the Metro Lounge at Chicago, not sure if they are the public bathrooms or not though.

I am thinking about boarding in Fullerton instead, what end of the train are the sleepers on, front of back.
Front.
Man, I wish I had your memory! It's been 11 years since I boarded at Fullerton and I can't remember if it was from the front, back, top or bottom of the train! :p
unless there's a problem all sleepers are at the front of the train. doesn't matter which train.

I am thinking about boarding in Fullerton instead, what end of the train are the sleepers on, front of back.
Front.
Man, I wish I had your memory! It's been 11 years since I boarded at Fullerton and I can't remember if it was from the front, back, top or bottom of the train! :p
Aloha

The Fullerton Station is close to my daughter's house, so I am familiar with it. There are 3 tracks, numbered from the station building. Track 2 is freight mostly, no boarding ever. Track 3 shares with Metrolink and Amtrak Southbound regional trains.

Track 1 is all northbound trains. And the Southbound LD Trains like the South West Chief. So you must pay attention to what train you are boarding.

Also on occasion I have seen Freight on all 3 tracks in both directions, so it is important that one pay attention to the station Announcements. The station staff are pleasant to rail fan's who are careful.

Eric

Front.
unless there's a problem all sleepers are at the front of the train. doesn't matter which train.
Actually, not all trains have the sleepers on the front. There are exceptions.

Aloha

Eric
Aloha

As promised here is a good picture of the Chairs in LAUS

509686112_Y9HAe-M.jpg

Not to imply in any way the lady sitting is, but the chairs are Generous.

Patrick arrived and we went to lunch, via the subway, I forgot to get a picture of the Coast starlight Waiting area and sign.

Aloha

Eric
Aloha

As promised here is a good picture of the Chairs in LAUS

509686112_Y9HAe-M.jpg

Not to imply in any way the lady sitting is, but the chairs are Generous.

Patrick arrived and we went to lunch, via the subway, I forgot to get a picture of the Coast starlight Waiting area and sign.
Thanks! I still think it's hit or miss, but it won't be long before I find out for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back