It's official

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonVG

Train Attendant
I am leaving on #4 out of LA on June 13. I got room #2 is that a good one? Also is the Traxx lounge in LA for all sleeping car passengers or just CS sleeping car passenger?

I am leaving on #4 out of LA on June 13. I got room #2 is that a good one? Also is the Traxx lounge in LA for all sleeping car passengers or just CS sleeping car passenger?
See car diagram here.

Next to the coffee station, across from the Attendant's room, close to the restroom. Towards center of car so somewhat quieter ride.

Some people like it, some not.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may find it noisy, as it's right next to the stairs...if the upstairs facilities are not well-tended, you may find it...er...ripe, too, as only room 1 is closer.

Sadly, the Traxx lounge is only for departing CS passengers. At SWC departure time, and probably also at SL/TE departure time (early-mid afternoon), the space is occupied by the Traxx Bar's own revenue customers.

You may find it noisy, as it's right next to the stairs...if the upstairs facilities are not well-tended, you may find it...er...ripe, too, as only room 1 is closer.

Sadly, the Traxx lounge is only for departing CS passengers. At SWC departure time, and probably also at SL/TE departure time (early-mid afternoon), the space is occupied by the Traxx Bar's own revenue customers.
So where should I wait to board, should I go up to the platform or wait in the check in line.

So where should I wait to board, should I go up to the platform or wait in the check in line.
There should be a check-in line inside the station, near the Amtrak Information Desk. There is usually a separate (shorter) line for sleeper passengers, and they may offer you (and whatever unchecked luggage) a ride on their little carts out to the Platform.

There's no point to wait in line if you're well familiar with the area. For sleeper ticket holder, it's already reserved in a specific room. In coach class, I would recommend for you to get in line early to get a best seat (unless the coach attendant told you so.)

Speaking of the Traxx Lounge, I'll be taking the CS out of LAX this summer and did a google search to see if I could find a picture of it. Can anyone tell me if this is it or is there a different section?

16609p1.jpg

The REVIEWS of this place don't really sound like it's that great a place to wait and besides it appears to be open to the public. How can it be open to the public and accomodate only CS sleeper passengers too?

Speaking of the Traxx Lounge, I'll be taking the CS out of LAX this summer and did a google search to see if I could find a picture of it. Can anyone tell me if this is it or is there a different section?
16609p1.jpg

The REVIEWS of this place don't really sound like it's that great a place to wait and besides it appears to be open to the public. How can it be open to the public and accomodate only CS sleeper passengers too?
That's the main Traxx. The "mini" Traxx is located across the hall (on your right if you're looking at the picture). You'll need to show the ticket to the waiter/waitress to entitle the benefits.

16609p1.jpg

That's the main Traxx. The "mini" Traxx is located across the hall (on your right if you're looking at the picture). You'll need to show the ticket to the waiter/waitress to entitle the benefits.
*nod*.

A picture of the Traxx bar (which is 'borrowed' by Amtrak in the mornings for the Traxx lounge) is here (where the two people are sitting with newspapers). The Traxx Bar is open during 'bar hours' as an actual revenue bar, unrelated to Amtrak (which is probably why only the CS gets it as a lounge); the people there at CS-boarding times are not actually waiters and waitresses, but Amtrak employees. This area is the place (or, together with near the 'gates', one of two places) where CS sleeper pax can check in. I've read that it often winds up *not* being a comfortable place to wait to board, as it can get crowded (there's room for maybe a dozen pax, while the CS could have as many as 44 [if I calculate correctly] in each of its two Superliner cars).

16609p1.jpg

*nod*.

A picture of the Traxx bar (which is 'borrowed' by Amtrak in the mornings for the Traxx lounge) is here (where the two people are sitting with newspapers). The Traxx Bar is open during 'bar hours' as an actual revenue bar, unrelated to Amtrak (which is probably why only the CS gets it as a lounge); the people there at CS-boarding times are not actually waiters and waitresses, but Amtrak employees. This area is the place (or, together with near the 'gates', one of two places) where CS sleeper pax can check in. I've read that it often winds up *not* being a comfortable place to wait to board, as it can get crowded (there's room for maybe a dozen pax, while the CS could have as many as 44 [if I calculate correctly] in each of its two Superliner cars).
Aloha

I know chuljin and GSwager spend more time in LAUS than I do but I think they are both wrong. The Traxx lounge for the CS is to the left of the Photographer. An Area that used to be used for something that I cant remember. The door behind those tables that are roped off leads to the Bus parking/loading. Sorry I never photographed the Area, the only picture I have is the other end of the station. looking the opposite direction of the picture above.

I had room 2 on the SWC going to the LA rail get together. Couldn't have had a better room IMHO. As the earlier poster said, the coffee is a couple of feet away along with the juice, bathroom just across the hall, near the stairs so you are close to any bags you have on the luggage rack. And you can let all the people line up for the extended station stops and then boogie out of your room instead of standing in line waiting for people to detrain. Have fun! I loved the SWC! It had great OTP and great crews!

Al

the traxx lounge is at the traxx bar which is just across and a bit toward the main station doors from the traxx restaurant. amtrak puts out a sign. actually it's by the old sign saying restaurant which leads to the old harvey restaurant which is definitely worth a look (only through windows unfortunately). anyway, the traxx club is only for departing sleeper cs passengers and opens about an hour before departure. wasn't comparable to the metropolitan lounge in chi or pdx. juice, coffee and usa today. the conductor came to the lounge (which is mostly just some chairs to sit in) to take our tckets

There's no point to wait in line if you're well familiar with the area. For sleeper ticket holder, it's already reserved in a specific room. In coach class, I would recommend for you to get in line early to get a best seat (unless the coach attendant told you so.)
If you find out what platform the SWC is on, don't bother to wait in the line. I did not the one time I boarded there and got first pick of my coach seat. If you are sleeper, does not matter so much. Just mosey on down whenever they start to board.

Well I use this thread to ask a question I've been wondering what the sleeper pax only room in NOL looks like I googled for pictures and came up empty does anyone have a photo of it?

the traxx lounge is at the traxx bar which is just across and a bit toward the main station doors from the traxx restaurant. amtrak puts out a sign. actually it's by the old sign saying restaurant which leads to the old harvey restaurant which is definitely worth a look (only through windows unfortunately). anyway, the traxx club is only for departing sleeper cs passengers and opens about an hour before departure. wasn't comparable to the metropolitan lounge in chi or pdx. juice, coffee and usa today. the conductor came to the lounge (which is mostly just some chairs to sit in) to take our tckets
What, if anything, is the old Fred Harvey building being used for now?

What, if anything, is the old Fred Harvey building being used for now?
i think for movie shoots. i looked in through one of the few available windows and it was beautiful. a navajo rug tile pattern on the floor. maybe next time we have au annual meet in la we should rent it :p

If you find out what platform the SWC is on, don't bother to wait in the line. I did not the one time I boarded there and got first pick of my coach seat. If you are sleeper, does not matter so much. Just mosey on down whenever they start to board.
Indeed. If anyone asks, you don't remember where you accidentally found out that it's on track 11 or 12 (either side of the last [away from the main hall] platform). :p

16609p1.jpg

*nod*.

Aloha

I know chuljin and GSwager spend more time in LAUS than I do but I think they are both wrong. The Traxx lounge for the CS is to the left of the Photographer. An Area that used to be used for something that I cant remember. The door behind those tables that are roped off leads to the Bus parking/loading. Sorry I never photographed the Area, the only picture I have is the other end of the station. looking the opposite direction of the picture above.
And Aloha to you, Sir!

As Gentlemen can and do, I respectfully disagree. :)

The picture is taken just to the left and inside of the main entrance, looking east. The roped-off area with tables seen there is the seating area for the Traxx Restaurant.

Just beyond that is the main waiting area...the small 'building'/enclosed area at the right edge of the picture is the newsstand; just to the right of that (now off frame) is the seating area for Union Bagel, and slightly closer still Union Bagel itself. Closer still, and directly to the photographer's right is a 'transept' (if you use a church analogy) with doors out to a covered courtyard, and across that, the old Harvey House. Tucked in the corner between these doors and the main entrance (i.e about 135 degrees clockwise from the photographer's heading) is the area which is the Traxx Bar during 'bar times', and the Traxx Lounge/CS waiting area in the mornings.

Behind and just to the right of the photographer is the main entrance.

If the photographer turned left, he'd (almost always) encounter a sign saying 'This area not open to the public', and a giant moveable wooden thing blocking the entrance to another hall nearly as big as the main hall, which used to be the ticketing area when enough tickets were sold to justify a dedicated room for it. Along one side are the enormous art deco wood old ticket counters. Now this area usually stands empty, except when rented out for private parties, or used for other special events (for example, the Drake Bell concert on National Train Day last year). This, I think, is probably the area that GG-1 is talking about.

I couldn't find a diagram online; I may wind up hand-drawing an approximate one, then scanning and posting it here for you.

And Aloha to you, Sir!
As Gentlemen can and do, I respectfully disagree. :)

The picture is taken just to the left and inside of the main entrance, looking east. The roped-off area with tables seen there is the seating area for the Traxx Restaurant.

Just beyond that is the main waiting area...the small 'building'/enclosed area at the right edge of the picture is the newsstand; just to the right of that (now off frame) is the seating area for Union Bagel, and slightly closer still Union Bagel itself. Closer still, and directly to the photographer's right is a 'transept' (if you use a church analogy) with doors out to a covered courtyard, and across that, the old Harvey House. Tucked in the corner between these doors and the main entrance (i.e about 135 degrees clockwise from the photographer's heading) is the area which is the Traxx Bar during 'bar times', and the Traxx Lounge/CS waiting area in the mornings.

Behind and just to the right of the photographer is the main entrance.

If the photographer turned left, he'd (almost always) encounter a sign saying 'This area not open to the public', and a giant moveable wooden thing blocking the entrance to another hall nearly as big as the main hall, which used to be the ticketing area when enough tickets were sold to justify a dedicated room for it. Along one side are the enormous art deco wood old ticket counters. Now this area usually stands empty, except when rented out for private parties, or used for other special events (for example, the Drake Bell concert on National Train Day last year). This, I think, is probably the area that GG-1 is talking about.

I couldn't find a diagram online; I may wind up hand-drawing an approximate one, then scanning and posting it here for you.
Aloha

chuljin is exactly correct about where the area I was referring to. But that's where I remember seeing the sign for the "Coast Starlight Lounge" the morning I arrived for one day of the AU gathering. The area where the picture was taken had a conductor and a second Amtrak Employee checking people in. I was having breakfast on the other side of the main room. They gave each person a large yellow slip of paper, appearing to be similar to the cards used in the Chicago Lounge, and directed those passengers to the space chiljin and I are discussing. On April 4 I am arriving in LAUS in the morning, on the Texas Eagle, if on time :rolleyes: and will see if the same sign, is in the same place. I will take some more pictures then besides this one.

396142997_5Bdx2-S.jpg

Taken of the AU group gathering at the other end of the station as we decided on what was next. It was around noon on Sunday, I think.

The reason I originally posted the picture was because I was interested on the seating in the lounge.

Having now learned that seating might not be available for me in the lounge, even if I get there when it first opens, does anyone know what they do for someone like me who cannot stand for an extended period of time or advise what I should do to insure proper boarding on the CS if I need to sit in another area of the station.

Any suggestions would be appreciated except for me to start crying and screaming like a banshee? :unsure: :lol:

The reason I originally posted the picture was because I was interested on the seating in the lounge.
Having now learned that seating might not be available for me in the lounge, even if I get there when it first opens, does anyone know what they do for someone like me who cannot stand for an extended period of time or advise what I should do to insure proper boarding on the CS if I need to sit in another area of the station.

Any suggestions would be appreciated except for me to start crying and screaming like a banshee? :unsure: :lol:
There's pretty ample seating besides the lounge in the main hall (I would guess maybe 100 seats); in addition there are perhaps 40 additional almost seats right next to the tunnel down to the platforms for people needing redcap assistance (and, I believe, even for less-mobile people not necessarily needing redcap assistance).

Aloha Sky

There is plenty of seating (even comfortable) in LAUS. If you look at the far end of this picture from earlier, that is the entrance to the platform after you check in chose a seat where you can see the CS/Traxx and Gate Area and you will be fine. the seats I am describing are visible in the middle of the picture.

You are just a hop, skip and a jump from Olvera Street. I got to the station early to pick up my tickets last year and we went across there and had some Mexican food. I know that wasn't your question but it's only 100-150 yards from the front of Union Station to Olvera Street.

Dan

There's pretty ample seating besides the lounge in the main hall (I would guess maybe 100 seats); in addition there are perhaps 40 additional almost seats right next to the tunnel down to the platforms for people needing redcap assistance (and, I believe, even for less-mobile people not necessarily needing redcap assistance).
Thanks, this helps! I usually need redcap or other assistance unless I'm at a station where the train is real close to the station like it is in Flagstaff, AZ.

Aloha Sky

If you return to the original Picture that we were talking about the Traxx CS Lounge you will see an arch and wall in the back of the picture. Between that and the Traxx location you can see seats (very comfortable) where you can wait. From the seats you can see the area where he CS passengers wait (if they don't have seats there) and the Boarding gates so you will know when to board the train. Somewhere on this board someone mentioned which Track/Platform the Cs uses but there are no seats on the platform, you will want to use the cart service if walking is a problem for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back