Is this it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_NEC1970

Although Amtrak has certaintly never lived a secure life, is what is happening now really the beginning of the end?

I don't think so. Read the other threads about the House Subcommittee on Railroads (Ohio Rep. La Tourette), watch the C-Span pre-hearing video file, and it'll help. He speaks of a $1.3 Billion conference committee agreement (House and Senate) on funding, and he's a Republican!! I am cautiously optimistic at this point that maybe Congress has FINALLY enjoyed all the white house bull that it can stand, and that they are finally start listening to us VOTERS!!

But KEEP THE EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS AND LETTERS GOING TO YOUR REPS AND SENATORS!!

Yogi Berra put it best:

"It ain't over 'till it's over."

US Representative Mica's appearance on C-SPAN Wednesday morning at 8:00a EST might be really interesting if some of the posters on these and other railroad enthusiast forums get through the call screener.

Guest_NEC1970 said:
Although Amtrak has certaintly never lived a secure life, is what is happening now really the beginning of the end?
IMHO, the end of it as how we know it! The company will most likely exist in some shape and form, or operate under a new name. Food service will most likely be different such as contracted out similar to the "Pullman" days or the new "Subway" deal on the short distance trains announced this week. Certain routes may be in jeopardy. Many of us employees may be furloughed, etc. If the company goes bankrupt, and temporarily shuts down, then all kinds of things may be accomplished such as the end of the collective bargaining agreement, etc. That appears to be the route they are trying to go IMHO. We'll just have to wait and see that happens. Don't put off planning for a trip. If the train isn't running, at least you did your part and booked it. Plans can always be changed if you focus on the present. I have plans in order either way they go regarding Amtrak as my employer. OBS...

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Don't put off planning for a trip. If the train isn't running, at least you did your part and booked it.
Well I have done my part on that. I now have three reservations; December 26-30 to Albuquerque on the SWC, a family get away, January 2-6 to Memphis, (originally to New Orleans) and Mar 19-23 to Philadelphia on the SWC, CL, and regional. I have written my Senator Mr. Roberts, (I don't claim Brownback) and have told him if Amtrak is shut down by Bush, I'll be looking for a refund from Washington DC.

Is amtrak over?

I dont think so.

IF, and I say IF it makes it through this huge crisis with the board and all of their crap, I think Amtrak will be in awesome shape. You might question my logic...but i think this way because, right now, with all of the current funding victories, Amtrak will be much better off with out the board. They may very well be on their way out, after this hearing, exposing the enormous flaws in the board. There currently is a bill, stating that amtrak's board would be expanded to 9 qualified members, on a bi-partisan basis.

also,

on a more comic note, if amtrak survives this crisis, it truly can survive ANYTHING :D .

My family is working on taking a big risk: TAKING AMTRAK TO NEW ORLEANS in April 2006, yes I am confident.

Do your parts and fax your congressmen, and book Amtrak Tickets.

Jon Parker

Is it as bad as everyone says,could amtrak close down? Hope not! I,ve booked, CHI-MEM. MEM-KAN, KAN-LA, SFS-DEN, DEN-CHI and CHI-NY all april into march 06. This is my trip of a lifetime, coming all the way from Glasgow in bonnie Scotland to realise my dream of travelling across the states by rail,please tell me it aint closing.

If you're talking about the death of long distance trains, you'd better get your life insurance up-to-date if you say "over my dead body" when it comes to Amtrak. Know one is for sure what exactly will happen in the next month, but don't temp fate now. Those who work at Amtrak and ride and work on the railroad every week know that the Grimm Reaper is riding the trains right now. It's just a matter of time when he gets off and cuts us all down when Laney gives the order! :eek:

Back