Is this a decent price or should I wait?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Well I have tentative reservations for seven days on the Empire. We have a family bedroom reserved. It is $2684 round trip for three from Chicago to Seattle. A plane costs $800 for three round trip (but I hate to fly). Help us make a decision. My husband says the train prices are ridiculous. Now coach isn't bad but two nights without sleep? Yuck.

Have you priced going coach for one night and a sleeper for the other night? Not sure if it would save you much, but it might.

Consider this, too:

If you were to take three days and drive what would it cost for hotel and meals for the family in nice places along the way, plus cost of fuel and wear and tear on the car.

Comparing the train to a plane ride isn't the same except in one area - they both get you where you are going.

Do you want a nice lesurely 3 day trip where you can relax with the family, or a few hours in a plane cramped in small seats?

I used to have a sign in my office before I retired:

"Quality is like buying oats - you want nice fresh premium oats, you pay the price. Oats that have been run through the horse come a little cheaper!"

Well the pricing buckets for the family room (one way, Chicago to Seattle) on the Empire Builder are going up to the following on August 22: FS 992.00, FA 826.00, FB 625.00, FC 473.00, FD 323.00

Currently (and until August 22) they will be as follows: FS 826.00 FA 625.00 FB 473.00 FC 358.00 FD 272.00

It appears that the highest bucket is being charged when you price the reservation, although I am not sure why since you are booking so far in advance. I am sure you know the rail fares for each passenger are added on top of the single accommodation charge. I would think the bucket would be much lower booking this far in advance, but I guess they are using the yield management forecast to predict that the rooms will be sold out regardless on the date of your travel (which I am sure they probably will be). That same bedroom priced for late January currently shows a $272 accommodation charge (will go up to $323 on August 22 when the new fares go into effect).

That said the fare will definitely change on August 22 if you do not lock it in. Whether it is better to book now and guarantee the current highest accommodation charge is better than waiting until after the 22nd and seeing if the room might drop to a lower pricing bucket I am not sure. If it doesn't drop to a different bucket level, the price could go up to the new highest bucket. What does everyone else think would be best for Gingee?

<_< :unsure:

jccollins said:
It appears that the highest bucket is being charged when you price the reservation, although I am not sure why since you are booking so far in advance.
Actually, it's quite simple. Fares are not based on when you book, they are based on availability for the date you travel.

The Empire Builder only has three family bedrooms, and trains 7/8 (the Seattle section) only have two (the third being under 27/28, which uses separate fare buckets and are not dependent on how 7/8 are booking). So, if Amtrak thinks that June x (whenever you are traveling) will be a heavy travel date, the fare buckets will be set very high for those trains.

The only advantage to booking early is getting first dibs at whatever low-bucket fares are available. If Amtrak isn't going to sell rooms at low buckets for a particular date, then there isn't any advantage to booking early.

I guess the only advantage would be that you could get a room. We thought of doing coach for two nights but dang, that is sore sleeping for two nights.

I just did a check and in comparison to a coach, we could get round trip for $675 for three. (46 hours)

Now comparing a plane, it is $829.80 for three people. (4 hours)

Hmmm

Well as I think someone else mentioned in another thread, you could always consider doing the first night in coach and then moving into the sleeper on the second day.

Amtrak can split your ticket to accomodate this and it would drop the price some. I can't say how much, in part because it depends on what station you pick to move from coach to the sleeper and how many meals that will include.

Guest_Gingee said:
I just did a check and in comparison to a coach, we could get round trip for $675 for three. (46 hours)
Now comparing a plane, it is $829.80 for three people. (4 hours)

Hmmm
Aloha

In July 2001, left Seattle on the 6th. I had a roomette on the builder and I seem to think the cost was near $500. A great trip even thought 4 years later this seems to be a high jump in price. Heck left LA on this trip July 4th. Lots of fireworks in the sky this trip.

What are these price buckets? What do the letters mean and where can I find a list of these? This would help me so much plan. Thanks.

Matt said:
What are these price buckets? What do the letters mean and where can I find a list of these? This would help me so much plan. Thanks.
I apologize for omitting the details of the fare buckets - I had intended to include them in my original post but forgot to. Here you go:

E: Roomette, D: Bedroom, H: Handicapped Bedroom, F: Family Room

S, A, B, C, D: fare buckets, high to low

MrFSS said:
I used to have a sign in my office before I retired:
"Quality is like buying oats - you want nice fresh premium oats, you pay the price.  Oats that have been run through the horse come a little cheaper!"
Aloha

I like your Sign, Mahalo.

Guest_Gingee said:
Is coach going up?
Coach rates will also go up slightly when the fare increases go into effect, but service should increase at the same time. Starting August 22, passengers traveling in coach will be offered at-seat food and beverage service and an upstairs snack bar is being added in lounge car during the peak seasons (in addition to the regular one downstairs).

Dining aboard the Empire Builder also will be enhanced. The menu will include special entrees that Amtrak said recalls "the train's lore," such as Braised Salmon Shank with horseradish and cauliflower puree; Great Northern Baked Ham with sweet citrus sauce; and English Beefsteak Pot Pie with braised tomatoes and white mushrooms.

What amount are the roommetes going up? I'm on the phone now and they are selling out for June already. Gad, didn't know so many people still took trains.

Guest_Gingee said:
What amount are the roommetes going up?
Here are the current roomette fare buckets, valid until August 22:

ES 452.00 EA 344.00 EB 262.00 EC 200.00 ED 152.00

After August 22 the roomette fare buckets will be as follows:

ES 543.00 EA 452.00 EB 344.00 EC 262.00 ED 181.00

Refer to the initial explanations I provided in an earlier post in this thread for what the letters before the prices mean.

Guest_Gingee said:
Well our price is $793 before discount so I'm not sure what price I got.
You have to add in your two coach fares. The prices posted are just the additional cost for the roomette on top of the base coach fare(s).

So, is there a site where I can see these fare 'buckets', or is your info from a non-published source? I'm curious what the Bedroom buckets are for the Empire Builder (so I guess they would be DS, DA, DB, DC, and DD).

Is there a surcharge for the Bedroom Suite, or is it just cost for the two rooms?

Back