Internet on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .. - / .-- .- ... / .-. .- - .... . .-. / -- . .- -. / - --- / .--. --- ... - / - .... . / .-.. .. -. -.- --..-- / .-- . / .-- . .-. . / .... .- ...- .. -. --. / .- / .-.. --- - / --- ..-. / ..-. ..- -. / ..- -. - .. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -- . / --- -. / - .... . / ... -.-. . -. . .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
- .... .. ... -..-. .. ... -..-. -.- .. -. -.. -..-. --- ..-. -..-. .-.. .. -.- . -..-. .. -. ...- .. ... .. -... .-.. . -..-. .. -. -.- .-.-.- -..-. - .... .. ... -..-. .. ... -..-. ..-. ..- -.
Jr hfrq gb qb guvf va gur rneyl qnlf bs gur Arg, jura vg jnf pnyyrq ebg13. :rolleyes:
Ebaa qkejvjit iko fjq unqv jqzn-fhigzk ghkyhjwt jaa klbh zsb Nqzbhqbz zsot hbqvbhnqy zsnt eskab zsnqy otbabtt. Iko fjq jaejit zhi j fhigzk ku j fhigzk xoz nz qblbh ekhct hnysz...

-.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / .. - / .-- .- ... / .-. .- - .... . .-. / -- . .- -. / - --- / .--. --- ... - / - .... . / .-.. .. -. -.- --..-- / .-- . / .-- . .-. . / .... .- ...- .. -. --. / .- / .-.. --- - / --- ..-. / ..-. ..- -. / ..- -. - .. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -- . / --- -. / - .... . / ... -.-. . -. . .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
- .... .. ... -..-. .. ... -..-. -.- .. -. -.. -..-. --- ..-. -..-. .-.. .. -.- . -..-. .. -. ...- .. ... .. -... .-.. . -..-. .. -. -.- .-.-.- -..-. - .... .. ... -..-. .. ... -..-. ..-. ..- -.
Jr hfrq gb qb guvf va gur rneyl qnlf bs gur Arg, jura vg jnf pnyyrq ebg13. :rolleyes:
Ebaa qkejvjit iko fjq unqv jqzn-fhigzk ghkyhjwt jaa klbh zsb Nqzbhqbz zsot hbqvbhnqy zsnt eskab zsnqy otbabtt. Iko fjq jaejit zhi j fhigzk ku j fhigzk xoz nz qblbh ekhct hnysz...
Ok, mine was in ROT13. What the heck is yours, because it's not ROT13 or ROT47? Or is it just gobbledygook? :blink:

Ok, mine was in ROT13. What the heck is yours, because it's not ROT13 or ROT47? Or is it just gobbledygook? :blink:
Use one of the online cryptogram solvers-- they have all of the master codes programmed into them--

Fine business old man, 5 and 9 plus 40db ... We seem to have gone even further back in time than the original posting date! We have Morris dancers over here, a sort old fashioned pagan country dance waving scarves and sticks.. they get the feet tapping, if not the morse keys!

73,s and good dx, de G0OAI

AKA Ed :cool:

Fine business old man, 5 and 9 plus 40db ... We seem to have gone even further back in time than the original posting date! We have Morris dancers over here, a sort old fashioned pagan country dance waving scarves and sticks.. they get the feet tapping, if not the morse keys!
73,s and good dx, de G0OAI

AKA Ed :cool:
Don't forget your 88's before you go 10-100! :rolleyes:

I was on the Downeaster on the 17th for a day trip from Boston to Portland. In both directions, the conductors announced that the trains had free WiFi services onboard for anyone who wanted to use the internet.

amtrak will never get wireless internet. via rail has it but amtrak does not. even greyhound has it now.either amtrak doesn't want to spend the money(have a pay per use like via does to cover the cost) or there just to stupid to figure out how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
amtrak will never get wireless internet. via rail has it but amtrak does not. even greyhound has it now.either amtrak doesn't want to spend the money(have a pay per use like via does to cover the cost) or there just to stupid to figure out how to do it.
Umm... never say "never."

Does Greyhound have Wifi across the country, or is it just specific corridors?

Try ROT-26, it's twice as secure as ROT-13.

As far as internet on Amtrak, I'll bet you're never see it across the whole system - not because they don't want to spend the money or are too stupid ( :rolleyes: ) but because at this point, mobile broadband cards are becoming so prevalent that the window of folks in between "Don't want it" and "Have their own solution" is getting smaller and smaller. No point in investing in something that will serve so few.

Does Greyhound have Wifi across the country, or is it just specific corridors?
right now just select buses but there working on more. heres the routes that have the wi-fi and for free.

New York to Montreal

New York to Toronto

New York to Boston

Washington, DC to Boston

Washington, DC to New York

Washington, DC to Montreal

http://www.greyhound.com/HOME/en/NewBuses.aspx

I remember reading a news article about a 10yr telecom contract Amtrak signed with AT&T for Intranet services, wireless phones, on board credit-card processing, on-board ticket processing, smart-phones for train personnel, and wilfi. It did mention the ticket processing would use smartphone technology, not sure if that means physical smartphones or just smartphone technology.

Now the only question is whether the wifi is on-board or stationary for the larger stations.

If I remember correctly the contract goes into effect in October.

As far as internet on Amtrak, I'll bet you're never see it across the whole system - not because they don't want to spend the money or are too stupid ( :rolleyes: ) but because at this point, mobile broadband cards are becoming so prevalent that the window of folks in between "Don't want it" and "Have their own solution" is getting smaller and smaller. No point in investing in something that will serve so few.
I completely disagree with this. I actually don't know anyone that has a mobile broadband card - I don't need one for my laptop because I use my iPhone for short term trips and things like that. But on a longer ride - anything longer than an hour - I want wifi access because my iPhone isn't great for browsing the internet for long periods of time and the screen is small.

If the MBTA in Massachusetts can have wifi on every single commuter rail train and amtrak can have it on the downeaster, why can't amtrak implement it at least by starting with the NEC regionals and the Acela? Either charge slightly more for the tickets or do a one day pass/access code.

Additionally, amtrak is going to start to lose out on their business travelers on the acela when one can take bolt bus/mega bus with free wifi between boston/nyc and nyc/wash or on the usairways shuttle with wifi between bos/nyc, which frankly, is cheaper to begin with than the acela.

I completely disagree with this. I actually don't know anyone that has a mobile broadband card - I don't need one for my laptop because I use my iPhone for short term trips and things like that. But on a longer ride - anything longer than an hour - I want wifi access because my iPhone isn't great for browsing the internet for long periods of time and the screen is small.

If the MBTA in Massachusetts can have wifi on every single commuter rail train and amtrak can have it on the downeaster, why can't amtrak implement it at least by starting with the NEC regionals and the Acela? Either charge slightly more for the tickets or do a one day pass/access code.

Additionally, amtrak is going to start to lose out on their business travelers on the acela when one can take bolt bus/mega bus with free wifi between boston/nyc and nyc/wash or on the usairways shuttle with wifi between bos/nyc, which frankly, is cheaper to begin with than the acela.
I agree that it is currently in Amtrak's best interest to implement it, but I also see that probably by the time they do, HokieNav's predictions will have come true.

It's rather like GPSes in rental cars. GPS rentals have been dropping considerably as more and more people now find it affordable to own their own GPS or--such as with the advent of Navigon and soon Tom Tom software on the iPhone--own turn-by-turn GPS applications on their smartphones.

AT&T will be allowing people to tether their laptops to their iPhones to allow Internet access this fall (barring unforeseen delays) for an extra $30 per month, and people with BlackBerrys can already do so for the same cost. At the typical $10 or so for few hours' use on a hotspot at a coffee shop or airport or whatever, smartphone tethering pays for itself after the third hotspot purchase--meaning people who are likely to travel enough to make a difference in Amtrak's bottom line are probably going to be going with the tethering option within the next few years anyway.

You say you don't know anyone with a mobile broadband card, but you're carrying one around with you right now - AT&T will soon be offering tethering to allow you to hook your iPhone to your laptop and get on the internet.

You say you don't know anyone with a mobile broadband card, but you're carrying one around with you right now - AT&T will soon be offering tethering to allow you to hook your iPhone to your laptop and get on the internet.
Sorry, I didn't realize AT&T was rolling that out. I have been lamenting the fact that I can't tether my iphone to my laptop, and would relish the opportunity to do so, although I can't say that I will pay another $30 a month to do so. In fact, I know I won't, so then its useless. I don't really see why I should have to pay for the tethering privilege when people can do that right now with blackberries (and I used to be able to tether my palm treo to my laptop) and I already pay for unlimited data.

In which case I STILL have a need for amtrak to have wifi on their trains.

Actually, it's $30 bucks more for a data plan that allows for tethering with a BB, and there are lots of rumors on the street that the iPhone plan is going to be much cheaper than that (perhaps $10).

With the capability, it's not that you NEED Amtrak to have wifi on the trains, it's that you'd prefer them to pay for it rather than you.

Actually, it's $30 bucks more for a data plan that allows for tethering with a BB, and there are lots of rumors on the street that the iPhone plan is going to be much cheaper than that (perhaps $10).
With the capability, it's not that you NEED Amtrak to have wifi on the trains, it's that you'd prefer them to pay for it rather than you.
And if Amtrak installs wifi on trains, it'll probably be a paid thing. All of the airlines that are installing it currently do (or plan to) charge for access--and it's not cheap (north of $10 in most cases, and more on longer flights).

I'd assume Amtrak would be comparable.

Depending on AT&T's pricing, tethering could even be cheaper than a single session on on-board wifi.

And if Amtrak installs wifi on trains, it'll probably be a paid thing. All of the airlines that are installing it currently do (or plan to) charge for access--and it's not cheap (north of $10 in most cases, and more on longer flights).

I'd assume Amtrak would be comparable.

Depending on AT&T's pricing, tethering could even be cheaper than a single session on on-board wifi.
I wouldn't assume that Amtrak's Wi-Fi would be pay-for-it, at least not on the NEC. MegaBus and BoltBus offer free Wi-Fi, and if Amtrak's costs extra it just widens the gap between them and their new competitors.

Not to knock Amtrak, but I took MegaBus PHL-NYP and NYP-PHL yesterday and had smooth, efficient, and Wi-Fi'd trips each way. No stops in silly places like New Jersey, either! :D :D :D

Not to get too off-track, but the internet on the bus from NYP wasn't working very well... and nor was the bus, it became apparent. The driver pulled off the New Jersey Turnpike into a rest area and announced the bus battery was having troubles and he'd already radio'd for a replacement bus, which was following us down the turnpike. It pulled into our rest area about ten minutes later, we boarded, and were immediately on our way again. Such a smooth operation!!! Comparing MegaBus to Amtrak (Keystone) for NYP-PHL, $11 instead of $45, 2 hours instead of 1.5 hours, completely non-stop instead of brief stops every ten minutes or so, equally smooth ride, same station-to-station locations, and free Wi-Fi versus no Wi-Fi. And yesterday's trip demonstrated that unlike some other bus companies, MegaBus has some pretty good procedures in place for dealing with breakdowns mid-route--more efficiently than Amtrak would have likely been able to deal with a breakdown, even. Not a bad deal at all. I still prefer Amtrak for PHL-BOS by far, but for PHL-NYP the buses get my business so long as the scheduling works out for me...

... so Amtrak offering pay-for-it Wi-Fi doesn't make Amtrak any more attractive in my opinion, while offering free Wi-Fi makes them a bit more competitive.

However, I could see them offering free Wi-Fi on corridor trains and pay-for-it Wi-Fi on long-distance, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back