info as to where amtrak all goes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I live in Newton Ks. I was thinking of going to chi to toronto to Vancover to somewhere in calif to yellostone to denver to newton. Is this a possibility? Maybe 10 days to 2 weeks. Where do you guys get all your info 'cause there is not much out there as far as I can see? ;)

Well, what you see there is all they've got, and you won't see anything new for routes any time soon, if ever.

boss97,

Sadly thanks to years of underfunding and the resulting cutbacks caused by lack of funding, it's not possible to do what you want entirely by train.

In fact one can't even get from Chicago to Toronto by train, at least directly. You'd have to take the Lake Shore Limited, train #48, to Buffalo or perhaps even further east. Then transfer to the Maple Leaf, train #63, to reach Toronto.

As for Yellowstone, your only choices would be to either drive or perhaps catch a bus from Salt Lake City, which can be reached by train. I suppose you could also catch the Empire Builder, train #8 from Seattle to Havre Montana, then drive down to Yellowstone from there.

So your itinerary might end up looking something like this.

Amtrak Train #4, the Southwest Chief, from Newton to Chicago.

Amtrak Train #48, Lake Shore Limited, from Chicago to Buffalo.

Amtrak Train #63, Maple Leaf, from Buffalo to Toronto, overnight stay required.

VIA Rail Train #1, Canadian, from Toronto to Vancover.

Amtrak Train #517, Cascades, from Vancover to Seattle, overnight stay required.

Amtrak Train #11, Coast Starlight, from Seattle to Emeryville, California.

Amtrak Train #6, Califonia Zephyr, from Emeryville to Salt Lake City.

Rent a car to go to Yellowstone.

Then you could either return to Salt Lake City or head to Havre for your return to Chicago and eventually the Southwest Chief to Newton.

As Alan suggested, renting a car in Salt Lake City and driving to Yellowstone is the way to do it. I did that trip a few years ago (although I flew to SLC) and the drive was nice and scenic. If I remember correctly it took about 6 hours to get to the west entrance, although it's been a while so I may be completely off on that. I flew into SLC, spent the night there, then drove early the next morning to Yellowstone.

You can drive either through Utah/Idaho to the West Entrance, or through Wyoming to the South Entrance. The drive to the West entrance is more scenic.

Chad

Joe said:
Boss97,
If you are planning to do such a trip that also includes Canada, you might want to get a North America Rail Pass. It could save you a lot of money.

Joe P.
Good point! :) I didn't even think about that, I was so busy trying to work up the itinerary. But Joe is right, a railpass would save you some good money.

are you sure you cant take a via rail train from toronto to chicago (or at least detroit)?

VIA will get you to Windsor, ON, which is across the river from Detroit.

VIA rail does not serve the US directly (unless you count the Maple Leaf, but even there, Amtrak takes over at the border).

rmadisonwi said:
VIA rail does not serve the US directly (unless you count the Maple Leaf, but even there, Amtrak takes over at the border).
And the train is only crewed by VIA, the coaches and the engine are still Amtrak's.

I would suggest driving from Salt Lake to Yellowstone, then drive to Denver thru great mountain scenery. At Denver you may go on to Chicago or catch the amtrak bus at Omaha to KC then catch the Chief.

I was tentatively thinking of taking a train to Seattle from Illinois next June (if we like the train this year). Does anyone know if Amtrak or someone else goes there?

Guest_Gingee said:
I was tentatively thinking of taking a train to Seattle from Illinois next June (if we like the train this year). Does anyone know if Amtrak or someone else goes there?
The Empire Builder runs daily from Chicago to Seattle. The total trip is about 43 hours (give or take). This route is very reliable, and usually doesn't suffer the on-time problems that other long-distance routes do.

Scenic highlights are the Mississippi River between La Crosse and St. Paul, Glacier Park through Montana (best seen eastbound), the ride through the Cascade mountains west of Spokane, and the approach to Seattle along the Puget Sound.

Thanks to Madison for the reply. I wasn't sure if there was a direct line there. I don't like to fly and it would be an alternative to flying there.

It's not that scary. It's actually a very scenic route. You'll be too busy enjoying Glacier Park to notice the bridges.

Back