Inexpensive train additions to enhance ride experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the Hi-Tech Gadgets and Gizmos are fine for Geeks and Business but aboard Trains they tend to Break,Not Work due to Heavy Duty Train Motion and like with the TVs and VCR Players that is d to be on LD Trains tend to get stolen by the OBS or Yard Crews!

As was said, let everyone who wants devices have their own and let Amtrak spend the Limited Amount of Money they are Doled out by the Micro-Managers on Service and Equipment!

Hardwired electronics (TV screens etc) sound like expensive options to install and maintain. I am really not sure they would be that popular.

If WIFI can be justified as a way to increase revenue, great. If not there are other priorities that obviously need attention first. The way electronics develop makes it hard to keep up. You are constantly shooting at a moving target. By the time AMTRAK finishes installing WIFI it may be obsolete.

I can see how business people would find it necessary, but I can wait a week to post my opinions here (Dumb phone and kindle work for me). I enjoy meeting new people and watching the scenery and don't spend much time in my room during the day.

As far as the flowers on the dining table, I will quote my grandfather, "If it can't be eaten, it doesn't belong on the table". I say don't have the flowers at all, it is a waste of time and money.

I agree with the table cloths, I am big which means when I sit down, I easily get hing up on any table cloth.

I do think Amtrak is missing out on souvenir revenue, which I agree is small, but is good for PR. Small things that could be used on the train sold in the cafe could make a little profit. Coloring books for kids, deck of cards, post cards, etc. Larger items sold at major stations as well. Things like shirts, hats, tote bags, etc.

Enhancing ride experience doesn't have to be expensive. Anyone have some ideas? Here's a few of my own:

• Camera on front of train with wi-fi (no internet - local only) to passenger devices and/or TV in Lounge
  • GPS with TV screen in lounge
  • TV showing Amtrak "Track A Train" using cell phone (wi-fi on equiped trains) to get data in Lounge
  • Sharing signals from one or more of the above on the Lounge TV either alternating every x seconds or using split screen.
Camera on front of train on a WiFi feed is a neat idea until the first time the train hits a car or runs over someone. If someone is recording the feed, the video of the train hitting a teenager who sees the train just before the moment of impact with an awful look on their face becomes an instant viral video. No, not a good idea.
GPS map on TV screen in lounge. Sure, but anyone with a modern smartphone or GPS equipped tablet computer can do the same thing on their phone. Add WiFi to the LD trains and let people do the rest on their own electronic gadgets. Well, when the WiFi works while the LD train is in range of a cell phone tower.
The camera could automatically be disabled any time the engineer brakes hard which would indicate possible danger ahead.
As to GPS map on TV, users have to pay for that data service. Amtrak GPS can come from a GPS, not cell phone so cost is minimal. Sorry, that was not clear.
I really like the camera idea with the disabling feature you bring up. As far as GPS goes, that would be nice too, but there have been several posts here about using a Garmin-type device in pedestrian mode. I'm going to try it and see how well it works. I had never thought of getting GPX tracks from my iphone, don't even know how, but I'm going to figure it out.

Camera on front of train on a WiFi feed is a neat idea until the first time the train hits a car or runs over someone. If someone is recording the feed, the video of the train hitting a teenager who sees the train just before the moment of impact with an awful look on their face becomes an instant viral video. No, not a good idea.
The camera could automatically be disabled any time the engineer brakes hard which would indicate possible danger ahead.
As to GPS map on TV, users have to pay for that data service. Amtrak GPS can come from a GPS, not cell phone so cost is minimal. Sorry, that was not clear.
Then what happens if the engineer does not hit the brakes before impact because he/she is concerned about derailing the train or flattening the wheels while the person on the tracks gets out of the way? It also does not have to be a trespasser who gets hit. It could be a dog or a deer that the engineer is not going to hit the brakes or slow the train down for. No, Amtrak legal department and management will not go for a real-time live video feed from the front of the train to the passengers.
As for a GPS map, that can be gotten through WiFi on the WiFi equipped trains - provided the connection speed is ok - on any laptop or tablet computer. Maybe Amtrak will set up a display screen, but the utility is limited in an age where smartphones, tablet computers, or low cost portable GPS devices can display your location and speed.

I really like the camera idea with the disabling feature you bring up. As far as GPS goes, that would be nice too, but there have been several posts here about using a Garmin-type device in pedestrian mode. I'm going to try it and see how well it works. I had never thought of getting GPX tracks from my iphone, don't even know how, but I'm going to figure it out.
For an iPhone, install an app such as Motion-X GPS. There are also a number of free apps that show speed and direction. Or run a map application either the one from Apple or install Google maps.

As for the GPS, we have always used prepaid phones/plans since we don't use them often & a monthly plan would be a waste. My spouse just got a new Tracphone today, $50 at Best Buy. It has 3G, and actual satellite GPS. Not bad for $50.

And as for the flowers - I honestly don't remember seeing real flowers in any dining car I've ever been in. They've always had fake flowers attached to a pen, & you use those to fill out the dining car slip. If they've gotten rid of the vases, do they just hand out pens, or fill out the slip for you, or what? It seems like a waste of time when compared to the fake flower pen.

I'd like to see a union that cares about increasing revenue, which in my mind means increasing job security, instead of a union that seems to care only about protecting what few jobs it still has, and following archaic work rules.

I'd like to see a union that thrives on educating its members on providing world-class customer service, and continuously providing training for staff.

I'd like to see a union that works cooperatively with management, (and vice-versa), on enhancing the traveling public's "experience" on board the chosen mode of transportation, so that MORE people chose rail travel, instead of car, auto, bus.

I'd like to see more Amtrak staff actually riding the trains, and experiencing the product, whenever a revenue sleeper or coach is about to leave the station, with empty space.

I'd like to have enuff money to be able to afford a GoPro with magnetic mount, and put it on the nose of P-42, and not cry when it was yanked off by some hostler or engineer..................

I think I could almost "live" with the loss of the other amenities, if they'd just mount a camera with feed to the engines, and then display on flat screen in the lounge. (will never happen, I know)

Although I think it would be a great PR move, for increasing awareness of grad-crossing protection. Maybe Operation Lifesaver would pay for the cameras? (and the mental health bills of all those who witness the close-calls-at-virtually-every-crossing!)

Hardwired electronics (TV screens etc) sound like expensive options to install and maintain. I am really not sure they would be that popular.

If WIFI can be justified as a way to increase revenue, great. If not there are other priorities that obviously need attention first. The way electronics develop makes it hard to keep up. You are constantly shooting at a moving target. By the time AMTRAK finishes installing WIFI it may be obsolete.

I can see how business people would find it necessary, but I can wait a week to post my opinions here (Dumb phone and kindle work for me). I enjoy meeting new people and watching the scenery and don't spend much time in my room during the day.
I installed the first WIFI network in town at the local chamber in 2000. Faster WIFI has been implemented, but the structure stays the same. It still works by the way, although they did put a faster router in.

As I have said before, WIFI is EXPECTED. If you can get it at any McDonald's you should get it in your sleeper or cafe car.

There will be changes, to be expected. But to live in the where and now is more important than being a Luddite.

As far as the flowers on the dining table, I will quote my grandfather, "If it can't be eaten, it doesn't belong on the table".
Wow, you don't use plates or silverware?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the camera on the front of the train would be very cool and that it would be easy to set the camera to turn off whenever the braking reaches a certain level. Plus, the camera doesn't have to show anything near the front of the loco, aim it so the camera angle doesn't show the tracks for the first 50 or 60 yards. Even if the engineer decided not to brake, (unlikely) all people would see would be a car or deer coming closer then disappearing as it got within 50 yards of the front of the loco. This isn't expensive or difficult to do.

I just don't know where to put the monitor showing the view from the Engineers perspective. Putting them on every seat back would be too expensive, the cafe wouldn't be the right place, maybe a couple of them in the SSL? Near the snack bar tables?

Enhancing ride experience doesn't have to be expensive. Anyone have some ideas? Here's a few of my own:

• Camera on front of train with wi-fi (no internet - local only) to passenger devices and/or TV in Lounge
  • TV showing Amtrak "Track A Train" using cell phone (wi-fi on equiped trains) to get data in Lounge
  • Sharing signals from one or more of the above on the Lounge TV either alternating every x seconds or using split screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, courteous service and a clean train provided by the employees who are already working. Costs nothing extra and is extremely important to customer satisfaction.

Of less importance, but still makes a difference to customer satisfaction: Count me in the camp that likes the little extra touches such as a fresh flower on the dining tables. Customers, especially first time (potentially repeat) ones, remember things like that. Very little cost. Not everyone is is a die hard rail fan who will ride regardless of the quality of the experience.

One suggestion I would have would be to have one full time employee on all over night or longer routes that would be responsible for the the custodial / housekeeping (cleaning, restocking restrooms, etc.) on the train throughout the trip. This would then let the other on board train crew to have sufficient time to perform their jobs, without having to be concerned with the cleanliness of the car or cars that they are responsible for. Not the easiest position, but important for the cleanliness and health of all aboard. And if time allowed, this person could also assist in others ways throughout the trip if needed.

I agree that the camera on the front of the train would be very cool and that it would be easy to set the camera to turn off whenever the braking reaches a certain level. Plus, the camera doesn't have to show anything near the front of the loco, aim it so the camera angle doesn't show the tracks for the first 50 or 60 yards. Even if the engineer decided not to brake, (unlikely) all people would see would be a car or deer coming closer then disappearing as it got within 50 yards of the front of the loco. This isn't expensive or difficult to do.

I just don't know where to put the monitor showing the view from the Engineers perspective. Putting them on every seat back would be too expensive, the cafe wouldn't be the right place, maybe a couple of them in the SSL? Near the snack bar tables?

I had the same thought, as far as aiming and/or mounting the camera so it doesn't show the direct front-view. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to Airbus A380 aircraft, where airlines can choose a tail-mounted camera that is turned on during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing.

Getting slightly OT, a few airlines, such as ANA in Japan, even have a camera mounted on the front side of the front landing gear. During taxi and initial takeoff (and landing roll) it simply shows wherever the landing gear is pointing. Some ANA planes also have a downward-looking camera on the underside of the plane and during daytime you can watch the terrain pass below if it's not too cloudy.

Regarding the "map in the lounge" idea, the Cascades for many years had a map on the TV screens that were in every coach car. When a movie wasn't

showing, the map would appear with the approximate location of the train. I say approximate because it didn't zoom into the same level of detail that you

can on the Amtrak Track a Train webpage, but it was still a cool feature. I'd have preferred that to the movie 99% of the time.

I know they've dropped movies on the Cascades in the past few years but I can't recall if the map feature is still active.
the cascades had the maps when we last rode. i always liked them and disliked when the movie came on. as far as selling amtrak merchandise onboard, they used to have a very nice selection of cs items for sale in the ppc(hats, mugs, wine glasses and such). high quality and reasonably priced. in my experience you had to buy early in the trip as they usually sold out.

Getting slightly OT, a few airlines, such as ANA in Japan, even have a camera mounted on the front side of the front landing gear. During taxi and initial takeoff (and landing roll) it simply shows wherever the landing gear is pointing. Some ANA planes also have a downward-looking camera on the underside of the plane and during daytime you can watch the terrain pass below if it's not too cloudy.
Had all 3 of these cameras on a recent trans Pacific flight on Korean Air A380. Nice. Except the belly mounted camera is pretty boring over the ocean even on a clear day.!

The train would only need to have a wi-fi router (as I said, local only, no internet) so people can pick it up on their smart phones or tablets at no cost using a standard browser. Like a router before you connect the first time to the internet - it becomes a web server so you can communicate with it even if no internet is available. In fact, using that concept, there could be one web page for camera, another with local GPS (like Garmin) output showing train location, multiple ones with train videos or movies or TV shows , another with safety information and passenger instructions.

Of course, with Amtrak, it would be a zillion dollar process to implement.

As far as the flowers on the dining table, I will quote my grandfather, "If it can't be eaten, it doesn't belong on the table".

Nope, we just slop in on the table and it eat right off the table with our hands.

Before you ask, we don't use pots or pans either, we just eat everything raw right out of the package.

:giggle:

Nope, we just slop in on the table and it eat right off the table with our hands.

Before you ask, we don't use pots or pans either, we just eat everything raw right out of the package.

And your "man cave" is an actual cave!!!

:giggle: :help: :wacko:

I am glad to hear we aren't the only ones who do that!

GPS map on TV screen in lounge. Sure, but anyone with a modern smartphone or GPS equipped tablet computer can do the same thing on their phone. Add WiFi to the LD trains and let people do the rest on their own electronic gadgets. Well, when the WiFi works while the LD train is in range of a cell phone tower.
Not necessarily. The CL loses positional data for smartphone GPS really easily in the mountains because it can't triangulate from multiple cell towers. I assume this happens in the West too. Presumably a moving map in the lounge would be true satellite GPS not cell tower positioning like phones use.
I don't know what kind of phone you have, but every iPhone since the 3G has included "true satellite GPS". It also uses cell phone tower data to help the GPS find your location more quickly at startup, but the hardware works perfectly fine with no cell service once the initial fix is taken. The 4S, 5 and 5S are also able to use the Russian GLONASS system for positional information.

I have several near-perfect GPX tracks made from my iPad and/or iPhone along Amtrak routes, including the CL. The only drops are when I've moved the phone away from the window (like putting it in my pocket to walk from my room to the SSL, etc).

To test this, I disabled WiFi, powered off the phone, removed the SIM card and powered it back up.

With nothing to go on but the GPS hardware, I was able to get a 10m fix while sitting at my desk.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1396616275.178546.jpg

Sent from my iPhone
I am able to get the GPS built into my android phone (Motorola Razr) to find my position independently, as well....but unless I have either the Wifi or 4G working, it only gives me my position info....if I want to translate that Lat/Long/Alt info into a visual display on a map, I must have the Wifi or 4G on as well.

Is there some way to get the map with only the GPS? I do have Google Earth downloaded, but apparently that app doesn't store (probably insufficient space), maps, but only links to them while online.....

I am able to get the GPS built into my android phone (Motorola Razr) to find my position independently, as well....but unless I have either the Wifi or 4G working, it only gives me my position info....if I want to translate that Lat/Long/Alt info into a visual display on a map, I must have the Wifi or 4G on as well.

Is there some way to get the map with only the GPS? I do have Google Earth downloaded, but apparently that app doesn't store (probably insufficient space), maps, but only links to them while online.....
Map data is something else entirely and has nothing to do with position data derived from the GPS constellation.

Programs like Motion-X allow you to store map tiles on your device while you do have data service so that they can be displayed when you're out of range. I'm sure there's a comparable app on the Andriod side of things.

Map data is something else entirely and has nothing to do with position data derived from the GPS constellation.

Programs like Motion-X allow you to store map tiles on your device while you do have data service so that they can be displayed when you're out of range. I'm sure there's a comparable app on the Andriod side of things.
I have Motion-X and used it on my iPod in 2011. I have a GPS receiver that uses bluetooth to send the GPS data to my iPod. I downloaded the map tiles before my trip.

Or just get a Garmin handheld unit, preferably with a GPS output port so that you can use it standalone or attached to your favorite device/laptop etc. via USB. I finally settled for this since the unit takes care of keeping its maps and traffic info upto date, and I don;t have to worry about any houskeeping of that sort. There may be similar apps that can be installed on smartphones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back