ideas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Im really surprised by the number of responces! Im glad I asked though, it gives me some goals to work towards.

I fully agree with that when a train is late for hours on end and nothing is said over the PA its quite irritateing for passengers, I have personally seen this first hand as both an emoloyee and a passenger.

So let me recap what we have discussed thus far in no particular order.

1. Announcements - There needs to be more of them. While some of the announcements are quite corny, we can only say what we can. I do agree with giving as much information as possible.

2. Non-Functioning Equipment - Ill lump some all of the equipment not functioning into this catigory. PA, Toilets, Credit Card Machines, Hotel Power Failures, etc.

3. Attitude towards passengers - Being more friendly, and proactive towards resolving passenger complaints.

4. Tardiness - While as conductors we dont have much control over the train being on time or not when we are running on the freight RR's; I do agree that more needs to be done. I do know that there are fines associated with Amtrak trains being made late by a host railway, I don't know the extent to what they are.

5. Lack of service - Dining car services being redced, conductors not willing to seel en-route upgrades.

Rayray,

I do apoligize for your expierence, I would strongly suggest notifying Amtrak as to you displeasure so somthing can be done to make it correct.

----

PaulM,

"Finally, if I were to compile a top-10 Amtrak complaint list, I doubt conductors or AC's would show up."

I can't speak for other conductors but I would greatly appreciate it. I feel such a list might even find its way to the cusomer relations department where hopfully actions would be taken to remidy these probems.

----

I will be trying to incorporate these into my daily services and keep them in the back of mind so I can help make your trips more enjoyable. I encourage all of you to keep these ideas comming. I also suggest that your start paper trails by writing in when you have good or bad expierences on Amtrak, without feedback the Trainmasters don't have alot to go by. I don't agree with the cross coutry cafe ideas or "Diner Lite" services much either. I would strongly suggest writing in these instances too so that Amtrak knows that the passengers dont like the setup.

Yes I am an AC (Ass Conductor) and I don't feel it takes alot of guts to ask, I feel its the only way to improve upon ones performance, to get feedback then apply it. I will be making a hard copy of this post in the near future so I have it for reference! Thanks again

Some folks on the train crew assume that everyone knows how everything works. The crew should assume that everyone is a first time rider because a lot of people are. Amtrak has a lot of policies on their website that take a lot of reading to know so things like "no BYOB in coach" are stuffed away where they are inconvenient. I brought my own sandwich to the lounge car one time and a passing attendant snapped at me. There were no signs on the door to the car saying no personal food and only months later after seeing the policy on the website did I understand why she said anything to me. At the time I had no idea what got up her butt, but months later I found out and understood the issue. Of course that doesn't make up for the fact that she was just plain rude. She could have easily stopped and calmly explained the policy to me, but it seemed like she was in too much of a hurry to get back to sitting around to care. Basically if there is not a prominently displayed sign on the train don't expect people to know anything.

Well before I make any suggestions on improving service, I should give the friendly crews I've experienced some credit.

A year and a half ago, I was on the northbound Silver Meteor from Jacksonville to New York. At about 8 PM that night, about ten minutes after departing Savannah, GA, we hit a tractor trailer at a grade crossing. The driver wasn't harmed and the only injury on board the train was the cafe attendant who got burned spilling coffee when the emergency brakes were applied, but the lead P42 was too damaged to continue the trip, so after spending two hours at the crash site, we reversed back to Savannah station to pick up another P42. I don't know exactly why we didn't just uncouple the lead locomotive and let the one behind it take over, but in any case it was 6 hours before we were able to continue. The crew kept us informed about everything while at the same time not causing panic. They even came through the coaches giving us free snacks to help get us through the wait. I thought that was pretty nice, but they weren't done. The next morning, they came through again and gave us breakfast too! After breakfast, they got down to business fixing up missed connections in Washington and New York (we were in North Carolina when we should've been in Maryland). About half of them were Regional connections on the NEC, while the others were long distance connections to Chicago. What they did with the NEC bound passengers was astonishing. They told them all to get off in Washington and board an Acela. Unfortunately for me I was bound for Old Saybrook, CT so I stayed on until New York. We got there a total 8 hours late, and coming out of the North River Tunnels, there was a round of applause from everyone on board thanking the crew for making that hard trip that much better.

Now here's my suggestion and it kind of goes and in hand with communication between crew and passengers. In the old "red seat" coach interiors, you had lit signs on the end of each car that reminded passengers of Amtrak's no smoking policy and showed direction to the restrooms and cafe car. I've never been on a Superliner, so this might only apply to Amfleets, but the new LED signs don't seem to be used very well. The most they say is "Exit this end". Sometimes they'll only show the numbers 02 or 03. Because of this I've heard many people ask where the cafe is. I don't know how hard it is to program the signs, but I think it would be nice if they pointed to the direction of the cafe. I also think that they should list the stations the train stops at. That's what they're used for on most commuter trains. Thanks for listening to our suggestions.

My main conductor issue, and it applies to about one out of 5 conductors, is an example of petty authority in their attitude. I don't mean to say that a conductor's authority is petty, or that it is unneeded or undeserved. I know that the conductor on the train is, for all intents and purposes, the lord and master of the train. Believe me, its my career goal. What I dislike are occasional conductors who are petty tyrants.

Example, one time I was exiting the train via an open staircase on an Amfleet II, lounge. I had asked the LSA if he minded me exiting and he told me no. So I walked down to the platform. It was a crew change stop and the conductor who was relieving at this stop saw me, told me I wasn't supposed to use those stairs, and made me go back on the train and get off of a different set of stairs. Yes, I know the stairs in the lounge are not normally used for egress/ingress by passengers. But what's the big deal? He was doing it because he had the authority to do it.

I've also had conductors get all nasty if I happen to politely ask them what the AAR channel is. I know they aren't required to tell me, but sometimes they are downright nasty about it. On the other hand, others are very nice.

I don't complain. I have found complaining about trivial matters to be a waste of my time. I'm just pointing out that one problem I've had with conductors over time is outlined above.

Hello,
I am an Assistant Conductor on Amtrak in Oakland.

My experience of riding the San Joaquin line...

The meal service is fairly good, but could use some improvement. Most of the cafe attendants are excellent, professional and have it together. Other times the service is sketchy. I've boarded first thing in the morning and had them say "we're out of coffee cups". Okay, I'll wait 2 hours for my morning coffee...Then I've seen the cafe shut down due to an "electrical short". Fine...we don't want to endanger the attendant. Headed into Oakland on 711, some of them shut down the cafe right after Martinez. On a good day it's open until Richmond.

Returning from Oakland on 718, a good attendant will open the cafe while the train is still in the station at OKJ. Tonight was particularly bad though. Friday nights that train is often quite full, and she couldn't get it open until after Richmond. Despite her announcements that she would make an announcement when she was open, a long line formed. The crowd was getting a bit rowdy by the time she served the first customer, which seemed to take forever. I didn't get served until Martinez.

Generally though, the quality of the food and the cafes on California Amtrak is better than most of the other Amtrak cafes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to take a minute to do two things here. First, I want to remind everyone that OKJ conductor is a conductor. Apparently a very conscientious conductor who is interested in customer feedback about how Amtrak conductors are perceived by the riding public. He's asked what he can do to make things better for the riding public.

However, he has no control over what food is served in the dining car or the cafe car, he has no control over hours that the dining car or the cafe car is open, he has no control over the schedules of trains (other than doing his best to keep his train on schedule), and generally no control over signs or what they might be saying.

As a conductor there are things that he is in control of, like making clear announcements, selling on board upgrades when possible, being nice to people (maybe even giving out the radio channel when asked), trying to resolve disputes between the OBS staff and passengers, the safety of the train and everyone on it, collecting tickets, assisting people who need help boarding a train, and things like that.

I know that we usually let topics wander where they may here at Amtrak Unlimited, but this is one topic that I'd like us all to try our best to keep on track. Additionally I urge everyone to please think carefully about their suggestions with respect to, "is this something that a conductor can actually fix or do."

Secondly, I want to both thank and commend OKJ Conductor for making an effort above and beyond what his job description requires him to do. :) I've no doubt that he'll be a better conductor because of his efforts here and I have no doubt that at least a few more passengers who step onto an Amtrak train will go away with a better impression of Amtrak because of what OKJ Conductor is learning here. So again, thanks OKJ Conductor! :)

ok on topic answer. better attitude. don't take it out on us cause your mad the train is late. its not our fault. us pax don't run the RR. also keep your personal issues at home. if you hate your job fine. but don't take it out on us.

note im not talking about you but crews in general as allot seam to be like that. there was this one dining car employee who was out of her flipping mind. screaming yelling throwing stuff telling people to get lost we don't have the room for you (after sleeping car pax were told to go to the diner for dinner) also screaming how she just wants to quit. i read about her on this forum in a trip report.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest difference makers on a train trip is the crew. An excellent, attentive crew can make a trip memorable, and enjoyable. An indifferent crew makes the trip forgettable. A rude/obnoxious crew makes situations worse.

As for conductors and assistant conductors, being pleasant and making timely announcements is helpful. They know which cars have poor PA systems, or should know, and could help that situation by going directly to that car whenever there is an unusual delay, and making an extra announcement in person.

I think the original poster is looking for suggestions for how he could do his job better. I suspect that he is not the type of employee to ignore passengers, avoid making announcements, and engage in petty power trip actions to control passengers. The employees who do that won't change until management makes them, or gets rid of them. I appreciate this person's initiative.

Individual employees can make a huge difference. I was returning to Chicago from Galesburg on the Carl Sandburg in BC one summer day. I returned to the station after having dinner at the crepe place down the street. As I walked up to the window to check out the status of the train, I heard my name paged. I identified myself. The ticket agent explained that AC was not working in BC class, and that my upgrade would be refunded. I was given the choice to sit in an air conditioned coach, or the hot BC car. The conductor knew this was an isssue, he called the ticket agent in Galesburg, and asked for this to be done. I was the only one in BC that night, but that was a huge effort on the part of one employee. He could have processed the refund on the train, and I would have been happy then.

To the OP, keep up the good work. And don't worry about your performance, you are probably way ahead of some of your colleagues. Don't let them hassle you and interfere with your enthusiasm for doing your job.

I'm firmly in the more communication camp. The better the crew communicates with the pax the fewer problems will be encountered from the passengers. I ride the Capitol Corridor frequently and there are crews that communicate issues (delays, problems, lounge attendants informing that items are sold out in the cafe car) well and others that don't at all.

I'd also like to see better enforcement of the rules in the "quiet car" on the trains that have one.

I'm firmly in the more communication camp. The better the crew communicates with the pax the fewer problems will be encountered from the passengers. I ride the Capitol Corridor frequently and there are crews that communicate issues (delays, problems, lounge attendants informing that items are sold out in the cafe car) well and others that don't at all.
I'd also like to see better enforcement of the rules in the "quiet car" on the trains that have one.
for the quiet car put a supervisor behind a counter and if you have a cellphone you have to hand it over while your in the car. that eliminates the people who can't put the phone down without having withdraw problems.

for the quiet car put a supervisor behind a counter and if you have a cellphone you have to hand it over while your in the car. that eliminates the people who can't put the phone down without having withdraw problems.
That won't fly, my phone is used for games, email, listening to music, surfing the web and text messaging - all while riding in the quiet car.

I want to echo everyone else's thoughts on what OKJ is doing - the fact that you're interested in bettering our experience enough to come here and ask says a lot. I certainly appreciate it (even if as an east coaster, I'm unlikely to ever be on one of your trains). Keep up the great work!

Hey GML . . . I even had one nice elderly conductor on the CZ in CA who saw me with the scanner push the talk button quickly to make sure I had the correct frequency, so not all are mean about it. There was also a rather funny conductor out of Chicago, I think who, when the A/C in the lounge wouldn't work put on a whole dance and show type thing, b/c he went to his room and came back about 15 min. later in full overalls and work clothes.

Also, any lounge attendants here . . . almost all you guys are GREAT!!!

My suggestion follows with many others - more frequent updates - I have a scanner, but many others don't and don't know what is happening. An example: announced we would be somewhere in Nevada in 10 min. after a quick crew change outside the station. We had just made up an hour on an 8 hr. late train. We preceeded to sit for an hour before even making the cew change. Alerts from crew would be nice.

Also answers to questions about operating stuff, like why they had to check outside of train for emergency appl. (the conducter WAS nice and did answer well).

Whoever posted this, I want to thank you profusely for having the cahones to and consideration to find out what they can do better. By the way, if I send a compliment letter to AMTK will it find it's way to the employee named?

As for conductors and assistant conductors, being pleasant and making timely announcements is helpful. They know which cars have poor PA systems, or should know, and could help that situation by going directly to that car whenever there is an unusual delay, and making an extra announcement in person.
I think when I was on the Lake Shore Limited a little over a year ago, and 449 had to wait for 448 to clear a single track segment, the conductor did stand in the car I was in to make an announcement without the PA system. I'm sure it helped that there were only about four passenger cars in the whole train; with a long delay, that may very well be enough time to repeat the announcements in each car.

One thing that might have been a little better with that announcement was that the conductor could have kept his target audience in mind a little better. He talked about the ``Post Road'', I think, which I suppose may be familiar to those who have seen the employee timetable, but there were probably few if any passengers in the car who were familiar with that.

Often, the only time I see a SAC is when s/he is doing a post station-stop seat check run, often with grim determination. Sometimes I'll see an attendant speed-walking through the car, eyes fixed on the door at the far end. What I hardly ever see (and here is my suggestion for better service) is an attendant slowly walking the aisle with an open expression and making eye-contact with the pax. That would do two things: one, if a pax has a question to ask, s/he might not want to bother an attendant who looks busy, but would ask an attendant who looked available. Secondly, it would give the attendant the opportunity to, well, attend. "May I remove that empty cup from your tray?", "Would you like me to move that bag out of your way?" Were that done with a helpful attitude, I think it would do wonders for the overall atmosphere.

Secondly, bathrooms. I know, no one likes to clean bathrooms. I remember when I worked fast-food we had to clean them regularly, and sometimes they were pretty bad. It was just part of the job. And that's what I would say to the attendants: yeah, it sucks having to do regular bathroom checks, but it's just part of the job.

So much depends on attitude, and you're showing a great attitude by being here asking for suggestions. My hat is off to you.

Often, the only time I see a SAC is when s/he is doing a post station-stop seat check run, often with grim determination. Sometimes I'll see an attendant speed-walking through the car, eyes fixed on the door at the far end. What I hardly ever see (and here is my suggestion for better service) is an attendant slowly walking the aisle with an open expression and making eye-contact with the pax. That would do two things: one, if a pax has a question to ask, s/he might not want to bother an attendant who looks busy, but would ask an attendant who looked available. Secondly, it would give the attendant the opportunity to, well, attend. "May I remove that empty cup from your tray?", "Would you like me to move that bag out of your way?" Were that done with a helpful attitude, I think it would do wonders for the overall atmosphere.
Secondly, bathrooms. I know, no one likes to clean bathrooms. I remember when I worked fast-food we had to clean them regularly, and sometimes they were pretty bad. It was just part of the job. And that's what I would say to the attendants: yeah, it sucks having to do regular bathroom checks, but it's just part of the job.

So much depends on attitude, and you're showing a great attitude by being here asking for suggestions. My hat is off to you.
Please forgive me for singling out your post Sportbiker, but a conductor is not an attendant. Nothing that you've stated here is under a conductor's control, much less part of his/her job description.

Once again I implore everyone to think carefully about your replies and to please make sure that you are providing suggestions that apply to a conductor or that can be controlled or changed by a conductor.

A conductor is not a sleeping car attendant, they are not a coach attendant, they are not a cafe attendant, and they don't work in the dining car. Therefore any suggestions that involve something to do with one of those positions is not something that a conductor can change or do.

If the person who had started this topic was a senior manager at Amtrak, then things would be different. But again, this wonderful person is a conductor. He has nothing to do with setting schedules, cleaning restrooms, or serving ribs in the dining car.

Please forgive me for singling out your post Sportbiker, but a conductor is not an attendant. Nothing that you've stated here is under a conductor's control, much less part of his/her job description.
The conductor is a public face of the company. To a passenger, titles don't amount to a hill of beans. You know otherwise, but everyday passengers see only a bunch of people in Amtrak uniforms. The conductor's actions and attitudes set the tone for the onboard crew. If the conductor exercises leadership and stresses customer service, the attendants will pick up on that, or maybe the conductor will nudge them in a service-oriented direction.

Another way to look at it: saying "it's not my job" is the root of sooooooo much of what we talk about here.

Once again I implore everyone to think carefully about your replies and to please make sure that you are providing suggestions that apply to a conductor or that can be controlled or changed by a conductor.
A conductor is not a sleeping car attendant, they are not a coach attendant, they are not a cafe attendant
Maybe you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting the AC personally clean bathrooms on the hour, but from an AC job description posting...

Assists the conductor in the oversight of all on-train employees in service delivery by adhering to the corporations service standards.
...the AC does have control and management duties concerning service. In that context, I do think it's appropriate to talk about SAC and SAS performance.

A conductor is not a sleeping car attendant, they are not a coach attendant, they are not a cafe attendant, and they don't work in the dining car. Therefore any suggestions that involve something to do with one of those positions is not something that a conductor can change or do.

If the person who had started this topic was a senior manager at Amtrak, then things would be different. But again, this wonderful person is a conductor. He has nothing to do with setting schedules, cleaning restrooms, or serving ribs in the dining car.
the conductor is in charge of the train. HE CAN get on the other employees case if there slacking off etc. he control's the other employees. so a conductor can do something about the attitude of the employees on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back