ideas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the station and the train. Most commuter/short haul trains have markers to tell the engineer where to stop on the platform. In the case of the LD's, if the platform is long enough or it's the end of the line, then the engineer usually knows where to stop. On shorter platforms the conductor will coach the engineer to a stop by telling him via the radio how many more car lengths he has until he has to stop.
On the Keystone, where several stations (eg, Ardmore) have fixed "boxes" on the platform, the conductor stands at a coach door and guides the engineer as to when to stop so the boxes match the doors--"30 feet... 20 feet... 10 feet...". Sometimes this ends with "... perfect!" and sometimes this ends with "... you're two feet past the box..." :eek:

Conductor = usualy just refered to as of the T&E crewEngineer = Again, refered to as the T&E crew

Asst. Conductor = AC, also refered to as T&E crew

T&E= Train and Engine

OBS= On board services

LSA = Lead Service Attendent

Steward = Dining Car Supervisor, same as LSA

TA = Train Attendent

SA = Service Attendent (susaly the wait staff in Dining Cars)

TAC = Train Attendent Coach

TASC = Train Attendent Sleeping Car

Chef = Chef, cooks the food
In food service cars, are LSAs the only staff who may handle money (as in, SA wait staff may not)? Is that a formal policy, or just the way most dining car stewards prefer to run things since they are ultimately responsible?

On an LD train with both a diner and a cafe, are both the dining car steward and the cafe attendant LSAs, as far as their training and job title, since both handle money? Is each responsible for the receipts and inventory of his or her car, or does one of them ultimately have responsibility for both cars? Is only one of them responsible for the rest of the OBS (the SAs and TAs), or do the two of them share those responsibilities?

Depends on the station and the train. Most commuter/short haul trains have markers to tell the engineer where to stop on the platform. In the case of the LD's, if the platform is long enough or it's the end of the line, then the engineer usually knows where to stop. On shorter platforms the conductor will coach the engineer to a stop by telling him via the radio how many more car lengths he has until he has to stop.
On the Keystone, where several stations (eg, Ardmore) have fixed "boxes" on the platform, the conductor stands at a coach door and guides the engineer as to when to stop so the boxes match the doors--"30 feet... 20 feet... 10 feet...". Sometimes this ends with "... perfect!" and sometimes this ends with "... you're two feet past the box..." :eek:
Do they go forward to the next box, open the traps, or go through with radioing for permission to back up?

Do they go forward to the next box, open the traps, or go through with radioing for permission to back up?
They always have to open the traps at those stations--the "box" is just a roughly ten-foot long, two-foot deep, ten-inch high wooden box on the (low) platform, which basically saves the conductor the effort of lugging the yellow step-stool down to the platform and back up. If they miss the box, the conductor just uses the step-stool and apologizes to the passengers for the inconvenience.

I've seen them back up once, when it was a matter of about two feet, and I doubt the conductor actually radio'd it in given how little time elapsed. I wouldn't be surprised if the conductor hadn't even authorized that backing manuever and was silently furious at the engineer....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've seen that too.

I just wonder if when they get it right, do they calling that a boxing match. :lol:

In food service cars, are LSAs the only staff who may handle money (as in, SA wait staff may not)? Is that a formal policy, or just the way most dining car stewards prefer to run things since they are ultimately responsible?
On an LD train with both a diner and a cafe, are both the dining car steward and the cafe attendant LSAs, as far as their training and job title, since both handle money? Is each responsible for the receipts and inventory of his or her car, or does one of them ultimately have responsibility for both cars? Is only one of them responsible for the rest of the OBS (the SAs and TAs), or do the two of them share those responsibilities?
Only an LSA can handle money in a food service car. Some LSA's, if they really trust an SA, might allow the SA to bring them a customer's money and return with the change. But that is rare. Which is why if you're looking to pay for food in the dining car, most often your server will call the LSA over to your table to handle the money.

And yes, that means that the cafe attendant is also an LSA, that is what the position requires. Typically, the most senior LSA takes the dining car gig, while leaving the junior LSA to run the cafe car. I suppose, never actually seen it or heard of it, that the senior LSA could decide to work the cafe, but that would be pretty odd. Especially since it's the more demanding job.

As for who is in charge, barring some other manager level person being onboard (like they always do on the Auto Train), the most senior LSA is in charge of all OBS personel. If the LSA in the cafe has an issue, he/she calls the LSA in the diner for help.

I've seen them back up once, when it was a matter of about two feet, and I doubt the conductor actually radio'd it in given how little time elapsed. I wouldn't be surprised if the conductor hadn't even authorized that backing manuever and was silently furious at the engineer....
Ooh...BIG, BIG no-no (according to at least GCOR; not sure about NORAC)! I won't tell, though... :p

Ooh...BIG, BIG no-no (according to at least GCOR; not sure about NORAC)! I won't tell, though... :p
It's a BIG, BIG no-no in NORAC too AFAIK.

Why can't they put markers on the side of the track for the driver to drive to? They could have a series of markers at each station - one for coach passengers, one for sleeper passengers, and maybe one for disabled access for commuter railroads.

I think most light rail is pretty good at stopping at exactly the right place - they have markers in between the rails, but the drivers of light rail have better visibility. I imagine something to the side for a long distance loco that a P42 driver could see would work well.

The back up rule seems silly if the conductor can see behind the train. I know rules are rules for reasons, but even without rear visibility, there should be an allowance to back up up to 20 feet or so as long as no switch is fouled without dispatch permission.

I know the cases presented here far exceed even 20 feet, but 2 feet? Com'on......

Why can't they put markers on the side of the track for the driver to drive to? They could have a series of markers at each station - one for coach passengers, one for sleeper passengers, and maybe one for disabled access for commuter railroads.
In high traffic areas there often are markers for trains to stop at. The problem is that in low traffic areas it just doesn't pay to put in markers, since they have to be maintained and since some people like to borrow them. And you also have to remember that in most cases Amtrak doesn't own the ROW, so they'd actually have to pay the host to do it. Additionally there is the consideration that consists change in length and even order sometimes.

I think most light rail is pretty good at stopping at exactly the right place - they have markers in between the rails, but the drivers of light rail have better visibility. I imagine something to the side for a long distance loco that a P42 driver could see would work well.
Light rail is vastly different, especially in that the operator is in the very car that has to platform. He's not 3 or 4 cars ahead of the first car to platform. In fact, in most cases the reason for the marker isn't so much as to make sure that the first car stops on the platform, it's to make sure that the first car stops far enough up the platform so as to ensure that the last car isn't left hanging off the other end of the platform.

The back up rule seems silly if the conductor can see behind the train. I know rules are rules for reasons, but even without rear visibility, there should be an allowance to back up up to 20 feet or so as long as no switch is fouled without dispatch permission.
I know the cases presented here far exceed even 20 feet, but 2 feet? Com'on......
It only takes about a foot for the electrical circuit that controls the signals. So, if by some case of bad luck a track circuit is within that two feet that they back up, such a move can cause major issues with the signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back