i wonder why

• Thread starter Guest_shanghaiamtrak
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_shanghaiamtrak

on many trains (like the crescent) they bunch up all the passengers into two or three coaches and leave one completely empty. It makes each filled coach noisy and uncomfortable. You would think they would allow passengers into the empty coach, allowing everyone more room and a better train experience.

I am not sure the best way to answer this but will try a couple of things.

One, in some cases, it could mean they are keeping the empty coach that way because a special group traveling together is expected to board.up the line. Like schoolchildren going to Washington ,D.C., for example.

But also, the Cresent has more passengers between NYC and ATl than all the way to New Orleans (pre-hurricane, not to mention since then) and it is possible they choose to group all the ATl deboarding passengers in one coach. This leaves it empty south of ATL. Why they prefer that, or if I am even on the right track not sure. But these are thoughts. Maybe it helps on their ticketing, and internal procedures to group passengers together that way by desination.

If the Crescent got more business south of ATL than it does(not even referring to the hurricanes) , You would not see those empty coaches.

In fact, the Crescent used to remove some cars southboud in ATL and I think they finally found it was cheaper to run all the cars empty to NOL than incur switchng costs in ATL . (i.e., take them off southbound, add them northbound).

It used to remove as many as 4 or 5 or more cars in ATL southbound. This definately avoided the "empty coach syndrone" you see today by running all the cars to NOL, needed or not.

well the one time that comes to mind was on the crescent from birmingham to DC---there was an empty coach all the way (the coach behind the one I was in). My coach was packed to the gills.

lt is all a matter of staffing & cleaning. There are not enough car attendants to staff all the coach cars and it is easier to group all desitinations together to avoid leaving 1 or 2 stragglers in an otherwise empty coach.

The last coach on the Crescent is also the coach that is used for group movements or special movements - as mentioned above.

Because people can be selfish and rude when given the chance. Ever get on a train at 2:00 AM? I have. Everyone's sprawled out over two seats, and what should I have done-- woken someone up and told them to move over? I've even gotten on a train at 6 PM at Washington, and all the passengers that got on at New York were mysteriously "asleep", and the car was half-empty, yet there was nowhere to sit.

A single ticket sells exactly one seat. No more. I paid for mine, I should have a place to sit, especially since I probably paid a higher price-per-mile than the end-to-end passenger.

You can guess I get pretty hot about this.

haolerider said:
lt is all a matter of staffing & cleaning. There are not enough car attendants to staff all the coach cars and it is easier to group all desitinations together to avoid leaving 1 or 2 stragglers in an otherwise empty coach.The last coach on the Crescent is also the coach that is used for group movements or special movements - as mentioned above.
I have been waiting to comment on this one for a long time! This is pretty much the fact here!

As a coach TA (when I work that job), I am usually viewed as the bad guy when I enforce the seating policy. However it is viewed by the passenger, the bottom line is WE seat you according to your destination! Most of us car attendents like to have all passengers for each stop all in the same car or within the two adjoining cars where we are able to use the one door. We need to keep any and all space open for groups, couples, and families. If you are traveling with someone, most people want to be seated together or as close together as possible. When we allow passengers to scatter around the coaches, then big problems arise almost immediately. All the single travelers hop into those open double seats trying to get two seats to themselves. We can't allow that! If you want two seats, then buy that second seat! For the overnight stops especially we need to be able to find the folks easy! Do you wanna sleep too long and miss your stop? Most people don't! And Amtrak holds me accountable if you do miss your stop! We may be so low in passenger count to the point all we may need is one coach! We set up the seating diagram in order to be in a position to work all the station stops as efficiently as possible! This really the only area where the on board crew has any power to determine our time in a station! When we don't plan it right, then we cause unecessary delay to the train! Sometimes towards the end of a trip, some of us attendants will allow passengers at the last few stops to board and find their own seat when conditions permit. But we have to protect our jobs, too! That is the reason the reserved trains have train attendants! We are paid to reserve you seat! Because of that fact, that is why we hate it when Amtrak oversells a train!

On a final note, anyone who is traveling coach, remember that it is just that! A coach seat on public transportation! There will be other people around, and that means noise and whatever else when it comes to people in general. If that is an issue, then I (as well as Amtrak) recommend a sleeper car room so one can have a little more space and privacy. As far as I am concerned, we need as many passengers to book their trips in sleeper class! Sleeper class is coming under fire ( for service cuts) as well as the food service portion in the coming months and years! I worked a sleeper last trip and had only eight or ten rooms sold and one or two upgrades on board in both directions. And I realize this time of year is traditionally slower for passenger traffic prior to holiday time. However, on my last trip for Amtrak it almost wasn't worth the cost of running the car in the train's consist. OBS...

Yerry said:
Because people can be selfish and rude when given the chance. Ever get on a train at 2:00 AM? I have. Everyone's sprawled out over two seats, and what should I have done-- woken someone up and told them to move over? I've even gotten on a train at 6 PM at Washington, and all the passengers that got on at New York were mysteriously "asleep", and the car was half-empty, yet there was nowhere to sit.
A single ticket sells exactly one seat. No more. I paid for mine, I should have a place to sit, especially since I probably paid a higher price-per-mile than the end-to-end passenger.

You can guess I get pretty hot about this.
Exactly! My point as well! OBS...

Yerry said:
Ever get on a train at 2:00 AM? I have. Everyone's sprawled out over two seats, and what should I have done-- woken someone up and told them to move over?
Yes, you should have woken someone up, especially if you were told to sit in that seat. Either that or find an attendant or a conductor to do so.

When you purchase a reserved seat, are you not assigned a specific seat? I'm asking, because I'm traveling for the first time with my son and I assumed we would be guarenteed seats together. I'd hate to travel 2.5 days and not beable to sit with him. I think he'd freak.

Dotie said:
When you purchase a reserved seat, are you not assigned a specific seat? I'm asking, because I'm traveling for the first time with my son and I assumed we would be guarenteed seats together. I'd hate to travel 2.5 days and not beable to sit with him. I think he'd freak.
You are not assigned the seats until you reach the train for loading in most cases. That is the reason on the long distance reserved trains they have us attendants! Every effort is made to seat passengers who are traveling together in seats which are together as I posted in my previous response above. At one time the seat was assigned at the time of ticket purchase (similar to the airlines), but that is no longer the case. The main reasons are with the different equipment configurations as well as the fact some equipment has been altered a little bit renders going back to that old way impossible unless all the equipment is renovated to be consistantly the same. Just be sure you and the rest of your party are together when you board the train. And one thing I can't stress enough to all passengers is to remember "communication." We depend on you letting us know what your situation is so we can help you the best we can. OBS...

AlanB said:
Yerry said:
Ever get on a train at 2:00 AM? I have.  Everyone's sprawled out over two seats, and what should I have done-- woken someone up and told them to move over?
Yes, you should have woken someone up, especially if you were told to sit in that seat. Either that or find an attendant or a conductor to do so.
Hmmm.... whoever their attendant was Alan, it seems to me they were a bit on the lazy side. I make sure no one is in the open seats or sprawled out over the other seat when we get to station stops. I don't have but only so much patience for those who sprawl out over the other seat, and especially those who move out of their assigned seat to an open double seat which I am reserving for the next stop. I mean c-mon, this a coach car not a sleeper! I have only had to do it once, but we kicked a guy off in Petersburg, VA one time because he just plain wouldn't sit in his assigned seat! And we moved him three times trying to accomodate him! Some folks just think they can get on the train and do whatever they please! Those folks soon find out they are not the only passengers traveling that trip! OBS... :lol:

Employee,

Thanks for the heads up on the seating. If we can't find two seats together I'll be sure to ask an attendant for help. I chose to take the train and not fly so I could spend some qualilty time with my son. Won't beable to accomplish that if we can't sit together. Cleveland to San Diego

Dotie said:
Employee,
Thanks for the heads up on the seating. If we can't find two seats together I'll be sure to ask an attendant for help. I chose to take the train and not fly so I could spend some qualilty time with my son. Won't beable to accomplish that if we can't sit together. Cleveland to San Diego
Judy,

From what I'm told they try to seat families toghter but sometimes it isn't possible which has lead to some not pretty senes.

Dottie,

There is a possibility that out of Cleveland, you might not get two seats together, since you're getting on mid-way in the train's run and in the middle of the night. You probably will get lucky, but just be prepared in case.

However, when you board the second train out of Chicago to the west coast, you should have no problems getting two seats together since that's where the train starts from.

We get on the train at 2:30 AM. all the time on train 4 for Chicago, (unless is is as rediculously late as it had been the last two days; 10 1/2 and 6. We tool an elderly couple to Hutchinson yesterday to go to CHI and catch the #48 for NYC. What a farce! These two old people are probably stranded in a Chicago hotel due to the rediculous lateness of the Chief. I digress though with my frustrations. We have nbever had any problem in being together on any train we have ever taken. Maybe its just luck, but I think it is the attendants who keep track of what is coming up down the line. I really think they (for the most part) try real hard.

Well, BNSF did manage to derail a freight train in front of one of the Chiefs, hence the "ridiculous" lateness the last couple of days (that, and a druggie managed to set himself and a coach car on fire while smoking something).

If we get separted Cleveland to Chicago that won't be to bad. Hopefully we will be sleeping most of the way. It is just nice to know ahead of time what we might encounter. This way I can prepare my son for the possibility of us not sitting together. Now Chicago to L.A. is a different story. I guess I'll just have to turn into one of those puhsy people I so dislike. I'm kidding!! I'm sure that passengers are getting off at stops along the way and that at some point we can get two seat together with the help of an attendant.

Having three kids makes sitting together risky at best. However, we always have been able to sit together. I don't know if the attendants have our names and see that there are five of us getting on at station X and keep a group of seats together or what. Our last trip on the CZ, the seat checks were already in our seats and the attendant told us where the seats were that were tagged for us. It has been awhile, but I though the last time I left out of Chicago they boarded elderly, handicapped and then families with children first.

Back