I tried to ask a Presidential Hopeful an Amtrak Question!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
My girlfriend, her daughter and I drove 3 hours to Indianola IA to meet and listen to Barack Obama tonight and boy were we NOT disapointed. One heck of a good man. I had my "question" all ready about the US transportation woes and how would Barack feel about funding Amtrak and other commuter type rail transportation. Unfortunately I wasn't picked but I had my question in my head hoping I would get the chance. For those of you who met me in October, my sis said she saw me on CNN shaking Barack's hand at the end of the Iowa speech. Tonight was neat, I have never done anything like this. And I so tried to take the CZ but he was speaking in Burlington IA this morning before the #6 would arrive.

Rail Rookie, Al, you are to be congratulated for trying to become involved in the politcal process. Good going!

And good luck getting a presidential candidate to seriously discuss transportation issues, much less Amtrak. It's just not on their radar. It woulda been very interesting, if you had gotten to ask your question with cameras rolling, to see the fumbling response. Because it's Iowa, you probably would have heard mumbo jumbo about ethanol. Corn farmers love that.

Dude, I'm with you. We need a serious transportation policy and plan. But at least for now guys like us are in the minority. People are focused on the economy, Iraq, maybe now Pakistan, and don't seem to give much thought to transportation. You and me know that's a mistake in the long run, and the neglect of the issue will come back to bite us all in the ass. Hard.

Al, maintain your politcal awareness. It's a very cool thing, and really our responsibility as citizens, regardless of leanings.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go ride an underfunded train. HAHA!!

In Iowa that would have been a very interesting question to ask. Especially with talk of growing demand for amtrak service at some of the larger station stops.

It is rather interesting or disheartening about the lack of discussion in regards to amtrak, or any kind of national infrastructure.

Given the 35W bridge collapse with reports following that most of our bridges are crumbling and "stable but structurally deficent" , one might think that would have been a more discussed issue.

As far as Amtrak goes I am surprised that is not a huge topic on the table. I think at any given time on MSNBC's front page there are reports that the skies are too crowded and some sort of relief is necessary. The airports are so crowded (usually with short haul regional flights) that nearly everyday two planes come too close to collision.

But nope, none of these candidates seem too terribly concerned. People seem more concerned on creating a better Iraq, Pakistan, Iran where they all bow down to the United States and give us their oil. At least the canidates seem to convey that sort of ideology.

Too conclude on a sarcastic note, I suppose we are lucky no empire has ever fallen due to crumbling from within because of the over extension of resources to the outside...

I have become more "political" due to this forum. I had never written or called a congressman/woman until I joined here. I have put the occasional yard sign in the my front yard and folks definately know how I vote by the cartoons I clip out of Newsweek and tape to my refrigerator and how I sometimes rant. I live in a state where most of the folks don't vote the way I vote, so my viewpoints stick out somewhat. But thats about it until last night. When you live in Nebraska, "Iowa, Iowa, Iowa" is all you hear during the primary. My girlfriends daughter is a huge Obama fan. Her father is about as conservative as you get. I NEVER utter one word of discontent about how he fathers or lack thereof. So I decided to take her to Iowa and see Barack. Not only get to "see" him, but "hear" him as well. She got an autograph and we all got to experience seeing a presidential candidate. Now....if he would win the primary and the general election, it would be the first time I had ever met a president. I know politics is a dog and pony show, but I was chomping at the bit to ask about our transportation woes, and as White Sox said, I would have tied in the I-35 (which goes through Des Moines) bridge collaspe at the start of my question so I wouldn't have sounded like some Amtrak junkie. I also learned how expensive travelling on Amtrak is with only a 2 day in advance purchase of tickets. It was going to cost almost $400 RT for all of us and a hotel since the #5 and #6 schedules just wasn't co-operating with the times he was going to be in Ottumwa and Burlington IA. The fares were also high due to it being Christmas/ New Years Eve week. All in all, wether you are Republican or Democrat, experience once in your life going to see a candidate "stump" for votes, and as I did, try to pick a small town. I was in a Methodist Church where they must have Christmas plays (with a stage) and hear a candidate speak. Go early, don't muse around the table they have set up to get brochures, but get your behind in the room ASAP and get in the front row. Thats what we did and it was just a real cool "life" experience that no matter what the outcome is, I won't forget last night ever.

Al

...All in all, wether you are Republican or Democrat, experience once in your life going to see a candidate "stump" for votes, and as I did, try to pick a small town.
Those of us who live in the 48 states that are not Iowa or New Hampshire don't have much of an opportunity to see a candidate live. Here in CA, candidates fly in for private parties with their wealthy ATMs then fly out again. Historically, by the time CA got around to its primary it was Hobson's Choice; with our primary now in February, maybe that will change, but I doubt it, because Iowa and New Hampshire still suck all the air out the country until about 30 days before a good chunk of the remainder of the country begins voting.

CA would be a great place to ask not only about stability and growth in Amtrak funding, but about a federal funding split for rail infrastructure the same way there's a split for highway infrastructure. Right now, all of CA's rail improvements are funded by CA alone, whereas the NE Corridor improvements are funded federally. Yet CA is home to the #2, #3 and #5 routes on the system, and one out of every five Amtrak passengers nationally rides in CA.

Rail Rookie, Al, you are to be congratulated for trying to become involved in the politcal process. Good going!
And good luck getting a presidential candidate to seriously discuss transportation issues, much less Amtrak. It's just not on their radar. It woulda been very interesting, if you had gotten to ask your question with cameras rolling, to see the fumbling response. Because it's Iowa, you probably would have heard mumbo jumbo about ethanol. Corn farmers love that.
Nice try, Al! Keep trying -- if you keep it up, you will get through to one of these guys someday, and it does make a difference. It will show up in "funny" ways, because that's usually how these things work.

In some cases, it's still better to have tried than to have done nothing. IMO concerning Amtrak's case, because many have not brought up the issue is why we have the intercity passenger trains we've got here in the USA. I'm not sure of NARP's current membership, but I think it's around 20-25,000. That's not a lot in the scheme of things.

The moral of the story is for intercity passenger train advocates to make a presence known to the politicians, and this election cycle appears a critical one.

Those of us who live in the 48 states that are not Iowa or New Hampshire don't have much of an opportunity to see a candidate live.
But for the main election, you certainly do. It may not the "small town stump speech" by that point (but that may depend on where you are, too; in Philadelphia, there isn't much "small town" opportunity).

In 2004, I saw John Kerry, Bill Clinton (giving a speech on behalf of Kerry), and John Edwards (at a relatively small venue). Didn't get to shake any hands, but just seeing them and experiencing the atmosphere was quite something.

Too conclude on a sarcastic note, I suppose we are lucky no empire has ever fallen due to crumbling from within because of the over extension of resources to the outside...
There was a fascinating article about a month ago on the educations of presidents (and this year's slate of hopefuls). Up until about 1940, something like 2/3 of US presidents held a degree in Classics or had a substantial amount of Latin and Greek in primary school. Some had even been (or went on to become) professors teaching Classics. This year (and in many recent years) many of the candidates majored in Political Science.

Perhaps they're less aware of the history of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire--poster child for crumbling from within, of course--as a result?

...All in all, wether you are Republican or Democrat, experience once in your life going to see a candidate "stump" for votes, and as I did, try to pick a small town.
Those of us who live in the 48 states that are not Iowa or New Hampshire don't have much of an opportunity to see a candidate live. Here in CA, candidates fly in for private parties with their wealthy ATMs then fly out again. Historically, by the time CA got around to its primary it was Hobson's Choice; with our primary now in February, maybe that will change, but I doubt it, because Iowa and New Hampshire still suck all the air out the country until about 30 days before a good chunk of the remainder of the country begins voting.
Having friends and family in Iowa, they certainly are not delighted about 'sucking all the air out of the country'. Of course, if you are being bombarded with an average of 20-30 political ads during a one hour television show, it's hard to be delighted. They can't wait for tomorrow night, when the whole caucus thing is over. If you want to see a candidate 'live', come out to Iowa anytime from the July before the election until the January of the election year. You will definitely get your fill of the live candidates! I actually anticipate the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primaries, because it narrows down the field of candidates for those people that are still on the undecided fence....

My girlfriend, her daughter and I drove 3 hours to Indianola IA to meet and listen to Barack Obama tonight and boy were we NOT disapointed. One heck of a good man. I had my "question" all ready about the US transportation woes and how would Barack feel about funding Amtrak and other commuter type rail transportation. Unfortunately I wasn't picked but I had my question in my head hoping I would get the chance. For those of you who met me in October, my sis said she saw me on CNN shaking Barack's hand at the end of the Iowa speech. Tonight was neat, I have never done anything like this. And I so tried to take the CZ but he was speaking in Burlington IA this morning before the #6 would arrive.
RailRookie,

Don't be too impressed with Barack Obama. He is my Senator and has NEVER answered any queries I have put to him on Amtrak or any other transportation type issues. I have "snail-mailed," "e-mailed," and even spoken via the phone with some of his Reps. I've never received even a form letter from him. On the other hand, Senator Durbin, always has responded to my questions and has often included some thoughts in his response that tell me it's more than a form letter. I guess Amtrak/Transportation issues are not on the burner with Obama...and that worries me! A cursory search of his website doesn't reveal any thought on transportation...one might think that when speaking about reducing Oil dependence and energy usage he might talk about Amtrak as one way of doing so, nary a word but requiring vehicles being built in the future to provide more mileage per gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that begs the question... which candidate would be most Amtrak friendly???
I'm not sure any of them are "Amtrak friendly", as you put it.

The most likely way we will find out for sure will be for one of us to make contact with the candidate handlers. This can be done, but will require a bit of effort. Better still would be for one of us to actually be allowed to put a question to one of them at an event. Odds of that happening, however, are slim to none.

In the meantime, I would suggest to those desiring more intercity passenger rail service in the USA to turn up at town meetings with the federal representatives and senators. While you may not be able to speak directly with The Man (or Woman as the case may be), you will have the chance to speak with staff, who are the ones that get things done. Should you do this, try not to talk about vague generalities concerning Amtrak, but offer specific, verifiable facts concerning intercity passenger rail service.

For example, I had the chance to speak to a US Representative in a district which had next-to-no Amtrak service. I said to this individual (after a bit of small talk), "If you remember nothing else about Amtrak, remember to ask about their on-time performance. They've been having quite a bit of trouble with the Union Pacific and CSX railroads." In less than 30 seconds, I had gotten across an important point concerning Amtrak. Additionally, I obtained from that Representative the name of the staffer who handled transportation issues, and followed up with that same quick sound bite. Even so, I wasn't sure what would happen, but one needs to try nevertheless.

Lo and behold -- a month or two later, a discussion concerning that very issue popped up in the appropriate House committee! It quite well could have been coincidental -- or maybe not. The point of this exercise is to try to push passenger rail advocacy even when success does not seem obvious. Washington DC works in funny ways; comments may rattle around in ways one cannot foresee, and come out when you least expect them. But they will not come out if they're not made in the first place.

I have little doubt in my mind that targeting staff members is the most effective form of lobbying of government out there at present. All it requires is a willingness to spend a couple bucks on the "rubber chicken" circuit. If you want more intercity passenger trains through your town, IMO, you need to be doing this on a fairly regular basis -- not the least of which should be in the non-election years.

But pushing for better intercity passenger rail service now is better than not pushing for it at all.

I guess that begs the question... which candidate would be most Amtrak friendly???
I have heard that on the democratic side Bill richardson would be the most pro rail canidate. His history includes a long list of rail inicitives in the state of new mexico.

Gentlemen and Ladies, I have read all your comments on the issue of rail transportation in America - our great nation - and taken them deeply to heart.

First, let me say God Bless Amtrak Unlimited, and all the good people who have time to waste here.

Because I care so greatly about our country's rail transportation concerns, I have developed a passenger train policy for the children of America. I propose legistlation to ensure that never will a train depart from a station until all students from preschool through 12th grade are safely aboard. I call it "No Child Left Behind."

Please hold your applause.

My fellow Americans, I offer myself to you as the Amtrak Candidate.

In pursuit of the White House, and with your support, I will leave no stone unturned, no conductor unkissed, no cold small town breakfast pancake uneaten.

That's because it's all about YOU. And AMERICA.

Need federal funds for that Amtrak station in your town? VOTE WHOOZ! Live in the middle of nowhere (or Wyoming - same thing) and want Amtrak service? VOTE WHOOZ! Tired of people thinking you're kinda weird because you like trains? VOTE WHOOZ! Want to see rotary snowplows in action even if you live in Florida? VOTE WHOOZ!

Yes, my fellow Americans, the choice is yours. I know you'll make the correct one. Or else.

In pursuit of the White House, and with your support, I will leave no stone unturned, no conductor unkissed, no cold small town breakfast pancake uneaten.
I've seen through your scheme--you see campaigning up and down the northeast coast as a way to get lots of those fabled pancake breakfasts on Acela!

Want to see rotary snowplows in action even if you live in Florida? VOTE WHOOZ!
Best platform point ever! :lol:

I've seen through your scheme--you see campaigning up and down the northeast coast as a way to get lots of those fabled pancake breakfasts on Acela!

Want to see rotary snowplows in action even if you live in Florida? VOTE WHOOZ!
Best platform point ever! :lol:
My fellow Americans, by virtue of his solid support for my candidacy, wayman will, given your vote, serve as vice president in a Whooz administration. Unlike the current vice president, wayman promises not to get drunk, go hunting, shoot a friend in the face, then not tell anybody for hours while he sobers up. And even if he does, he'll at least ride with the friend to the hospital and not pay him to thank vice president wayman on camera for shooting him: "I had it coming, I guess, because my imitation of a duck is really good. He was right to shoot me."

VOTE WHOOZ!

My fellow Americans, by virtue of his solid support for my candidacy, wayman will, given your vote, serve as vice president in a Whooz administration.!
I want to be Secretary of Using Enhanced Interrogation Techniques On Anyone Caught Saying, "Trains are a 19th century solution to a 21st century problem."

I don't torture.

Trust me.

And I'll destroy the video tapes to prove it.

Thank you, my fellow Americans, for the rabid outpouring of support. Never before have so many foamers meant so much.

I especially want to thank sportbiker, who will literally become part of my platform when I stand on top of him.

Sportbiker will be a member of the Whooz administration cabinet, as Secretary of Waterboarding.

The Whooz brain trust will also include GG-1 as Minister of Electric Coconuts, AmtrakWPK as Secretary of Organs, and RailRookie as Special Deputy For Making Things Arrive On Time.

Other cabinet posts are up for grabs, and bidding is open on E-Bay. Donald Rumsfeld need not apply.

VOTE WHOOZ!

From the desk of Special Deputy For Making Things Arrive On Time: New motto for Amtrak and its 9,235 routes and over 30 million miles of trackage taken in Eminent Domain takeover of the tracks the freights used to use: What Can Blue Do For You! Second Marketing slogan used in the 400 TV ads purchased to air all during the Super Bowl: Amtrak, the tightest train in the passenger train business. Third Advertising Campaign to be aired during Easter/Spring Break holidays, "Why Go On Grand Luxe When the Luxury Is Here At Amtrak!" (that will roll out the $400,000,000.00 re-developed California Zephyr where there will be luxury cars speeding at 250 mph, with fine dining.) Remember, the only waterboarding we can now do as a country is to the CEO's of the railroads that we have taken over if they even think of putting Amtrak into "the hole". Oh... I forgot...we dispatch the trains now and UP was sitting for 3 days outside of Denver at the CZ kept getting priority to pass it. (the CZ now runs 10 trains a day out of LNK's Union Station) All the security guys who guard President Whooz wear Fez's on their head!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take care of the Travel Plans... Amtrak I need a short train with a P42, Viewliner, and Beech Grove. Pronto!

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back