I applied with Amtrak today.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Well, I have applied for a Lead Service Attendant position based in New Orleans. There are seven openings. There was actually a small ad regarding the positions in our local newspaper this morning.

I still think about my interview for that Assistant Conductor position back in September everyday: What did I do wrong? Was I not qualified enough? Was I OVER qualified? I was really looking forward to joining the Amtrak family. Now, I could, theoretically, get another chance.

I would drop my current job in a flash to work for Amtrak. Even with the funding crisis. I am THAT dedicated to the company and to what it stands for. Amtrak has the chance to become a world-class railroad, and I for one would do all in my power to help make that happen.

So wish me luck...me resume is sent...I just want to get an interview. Hopefully this second time will be a charm. :)

Perseverence pays huge dividens as it is how I managed to get in to the graduate school of my choice. Don't give up, good luck!

Good luck to you! I recently applied for a Passenger Engineer position in New Haven and Boston. Not that I really think I have a snowball's chance....but the worst thing that could happen is they say no. I've got to try. Cheers!

NativeSon5859 said:
Well, I have applied for a Lead Service Attendant position based in New Orleans. There are seven openings. There was actually a small ad regarding the positions in our local newspaper this morning.
I still think about my interview for that Assistant Conductor position back in September everyday: What did I do wrong? Was I not qualified enough? Was I OVER qualified? I was really looking forward to joining the Amtrak family. Now, I could, theoretically, get another chance.

I would drop my current job in a flash to work for Amtrak. Even with the funding crisis. I am THAT dedicated to the company and to what it stands for. Amtrak has the chance to become a world-class railroad, and I for one would do all in my power to help make that happen.

So wish me luck...me resume is sent...I just want to get an interview. Hopefully this second time will be a charm. :)
Good luck! Keep us posted! OBS..

Good luck NativeSon! You deserve the job more than many Amtrak crew members. I look forward to meeting you as a crewmember on a future trip! Maybe you should bring your poem on the Sunset to your interview this time to show your devotion and dedication to Amtrak. It would definitely make you stand out and show the interviewer that the job is more than just a job to you and that you would fill the position gracefully and become one of Amtrak's very best. Best of luck!

B)

JC, I'd actually reccomend the opposite. Amtrak (and railroads in general) tend to not want to hire railfans due to the few that have gotten jobs, and well just not focused on the task at hand. The railroads are looking for people who come to work and do their job safely, efficiently, and courteously. If a railfan fits that bill so be it, but they are more likely to shy away from the railfan due to the times they've gotten burned. As a buddy of mine said, play dumb. My best adviceto NativeSon would be to go into the interview as an Airline Employee who's looking to move on, and Amtrak caught his attention when he saw a train pass by (or something like that). But it is near suicide to admit to being a railfan in an interview.

I've just started ( actually 5th week of training ) with BNSF. Amtrak and BNSF...big difference..I know. But I was proud to say that I was a railfan during my interview. The HR person that interviewed stated that he was one also and that working for the railroad was the best career decision that he ever made. I must agree with him even at this point of my employment. WHen not making joints, setting the air on the cars, and doing switching, I had plenty of time to "foam". I'm fortunate to be working the BNSF/Aurora line out of Chicago. I see all sorts of power and rail cars as well as the SW Chief and the Calif Zepher twice a day plus two other AMtrak trains to downstate Illinois. POWER TO THE FOAMER!!!!!!

IGO :D

While I don't know much about AmTrak, I do have four plus decades of experience in another industry that has a vast number of devotees - the movie business.

I would say a lot hinges on the interview board (assuming there's more than one interviewer) and what they do for the organization. A raving railfan might well get by a board made up of mostly non-operations people (HR-types, for example). But, I can assure our applicant that to the extent he's interviewed by people who are out there operating that railroad everyday, they're more interested in someone with a willing attitude they can mold and who will adapt to the culture (good or bad) than someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of railroading.

My advice - firm handshake, smile and listen carefully to the questions asked, then give sharp, focused answers. Don't use your turn to speak as an opportunity to awe the panel with your railroading knowledge. Good luck!

BobW

PS - An applicant who volunteered to me in the introductory portion of the interview how they just "loooved" movies was almost certain not to get the job. I wanted someone who "loooved" bagging popcorn and someone I wouldn't have to chase out of the auditorium every fifteen minutes catching their "favorite scene". (Their "favorite scene" started with the opening credits and ended with the closing credits!)

Building on Bob's reference to the movies. For the guy who's bagging popcorn it's not a bad thing to show that he has basic knowledge of movies (so he can interact with customers). In railroad terms use vague terms, go with broad, not specific. If you mention something like Three Step, consists, shooks, etc. it'll raise an eyebrow (in a bad way). But if you go with broad terms like paperwork, protection, etc. you'll do ok, showing you have your head screwed on straight.

I have tried several times to gain employment at Amtrak, with no results. I took a job with the airlines instead, hoping it would be temporary until I could find work at my beloved Amtrak. 18 years later I am still considering trying it again even facing the future uncertainty at Amtrak. I feel at home when on the rails, and happiness in one's job is very important. I believe in rail passenger transportation with every cell in my body, and I still feel the calling to work on the passenger trains. My entire family were railroad people, it is honestly in my blood. The airline gig is a job, and one which I truely do not believe in as I do with rail passenger service. I too am considering once again trying to seek employment at Amtrak.

NativeSon.....With your positive attitude, you DESERVE the job. Good luck and best wishes!!!

Back