How does one get to ride in the locomotive cab?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once did an internship with a European company who were doing heavy engineering and repair work on locomotives of different types. They had a short private test track in the factory grounds and I got plenty of cab time there and even got to drive when there weren't any managers around.

Even more interesting than that though was that when the work was finished we had to do a test rn with the customer out on the real railroad. There had to be one guy from the customer and one guy from us on the locomotive (as well as the driver) to witness that all the tests were done and passed correctly and sign off the reports. Actually only senior staff were allowed to do that but after the first couple of locomotives were accepted they were sufficiently confident that the rest would pass as well. And they never had time (and for some reason hated test runs) so many a time I represented the company on those runs and signed off a good many tests. There must be a good many documents in the archives somewhere with my name on them. At the end of those runs the locomotive was handed over to the customer so we ended up in a big old shed with lots of other locomotives and when the guys had time they showed me around and I got to ride inside locomotives of other types too.

One series of test runs was done on an old little railroad line that was virtually disused. There was a nice little restaurant next to a level crossing. Before becoming a restaurant it had been a factory of some sort and the tracks running into it were still there. We could throw a switch and actually reverse the locomotive onto the parking lot. At first the waitress wouldn't believe us when we told her that was our car.

I'm pretty sure that broke some rules but it was fun and nobody seemed to care.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one is simply looking for a cab ride, albeit a fairly limited one, the Danbury Railway Museum offers them in one or two of it's locomotives on site. They're not always operating, though, so call ahead if its something you're interested in.

Internationally, I recall a Swiss railway offered a cab ride package a few years ago as a tourism promotion - you received a cab ride one way along a particular route and then a first class ticket back to your point of originations.

If you want a cab ride with Amtrak, well, you'd either need to end up as a well connected journalist, or perhaps seek elected office. I know our Lt. Governor and a few other politicians received a cab ride a few years ago along the Vermonter route. Or, based on the previous thread about Michigan enforcement operations, you could consider a career as a state trooper.

I've done a cab ride on the Fillmore & Western tourist railroad north of L.A. -- they offer them (for an extra charge above the cost of a ticket) on a regular basis.

The Nevada Southern Railway, part of the Nevada State Railroad Museum, in Boulder, NV offers locomotive cab rides and "Engineer for an Hour". $35 and $250 respectively. I haven't tried it. Yet.

But I did ride in the cab of a Milwaukee Road switcher in Milwaukee many years ago. I was probably about 12 or so and went with my Dad. It helped that my Grandfather was a Milwaukee Road engineer.

I got a cab ride on the Disney World Monorail, I have the co-pilot's license to prove it! Sadly they stopped the practice after the unfortunate fatal accident they had. Glad I took video.
It's not nearly exciting as a locomotive cab. They have, what, a couple buttons and a lever?
Buttons and levers would describe most modern locomotive cabs too, wouldn't it? To me the major attraction of a cab ride is the ability/opportunity to look out forward. Next best thing is a dome ride.

Acela cab vs. U.P. 4-6-6-4 No. 3985 (at STL during AU Gathering IV):

pictures%5C14812%5C102_2250.jpg

1056419007_oC9nZ-L.jpg

I got a cab ride on the Disney World Monorail, I have the co-pilot's license to prove it! Sadly they stopped the practice after the unfortunate fatal accident they had. Glad I took video.
It's not nearly exciting as a locomotive cab. They have, what, a couple buttons and a lever?
Buttons and levers would describe most modern locomotive cabs too, wouldn't it? To me the major attraction of a cab ride is the ability/opportunity to look out forward. Next best thing is a dome ride.

Acela cab vs. U.P. 4-6-6-4 No. 3985 (at STL during AU Gathering IV):

pictures%5C14812%5C102_2250.jpg

1056419007_oC9nZ-L.jpg
What an awesome "Then and Now" contrast in technology! Thanks so much for posting them!

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy numerous cab rides back in the '60's, '70's, '80's, and early '90's, both before and during railroad employment. I'm sure it was a lot easier back then, than it is nowadays. My most memorable rides were in the cab of a GG-1, UP 8444 (as she was numbered for many years, UP 3985, and a few UP DDA40X 'Centennial's'. Also of note were NYC P2's, some E8 and E9's, Amtrak E60's, AEM-7's, P30CH's, SDP40F, and F40PH's. An old Rock Island F-7, and some old GE 70 tonner, and a few old 44 tonners. Some BN SW1200's, GP7, GP9, SD9, GP30, SD40's. A Rio Grande 'tunnel motor'. Lots of variety...

It is now harder to accomplish, and doing so 'unofficially', puts undue jeopardy to the career of the engineer in charge. On the other hand, the opportunity to actually operate an engine on a tourist railway is an even better experience, though not at high speed on the high iron....

IIRC the exact terms for being in the cab are, A Head End Pass, The Norac Book of Rules, and a Need to be There. i.e. Running a train or Firemen.

I have had two cab rides on the Reading and Northern a while back. Plenty of forms to sign.

What an awesome "Then and Now" contrast in technology! Thanks so much for posting them!
Y'know, on further consideration a better, fairer, and more direct comparison would be electric/electric, so here's a GG-1 cab to go with that Acela. Still a huge then-and-now difference:

gg1-cab_fs.jpg

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's GG-1, No. 4935, photo by Matt Donnelly.

I can tell you from experience that cab rides are not all fun. In my railroad career I have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles most of them in a cab. I gave up counting the grade crossing accidents but they resulted in 13 fatalities, very upsetting to all involved and this was before a crew that had an incident was relieved if they wanted to be.

The first and most devastating came early in my time with Amtrak. I was a QC inspector for the rebuilding of two United Aircraft TurboTrains in Montreal. On the acceptance run (with many VIPS aboard) the CN engineer passed a red signal at 95 mph with the road foremen of engines in the fireman's seat. they both heard that they were "cleared all the way" from the dispatcher. I was in between the two of them and was beating on the engineer's shoulder telling him the stop (plus a few expletives). He did put the train into emergency and I watched as we hit as I had given up all hope. We hit a freight train crossing over to clear our track, the impact speed was 75 mph.

The crash was horrible, a fire ensued. I was able to escape through the nose doors. After much confusion I was taken to a hospital in Lachine (Sp) where I was treated for shock, abrasions, contusions, and smoke inhalation. I was billed $17.00 dollars because I was a citizen of the USA for the emergency room, x-rays, dressings for wounds and O2. I have a few other anecdotes from this wreck but it is late and I must retire for the night.

Buttons and levers would describe most modern locomotive cabs too, wouldn't it?
No. As you picture, a modern locomotive has many buttons, levers, and other controls. I'd say that the Acela cab is at least twice as complicated.
Mark_VI_New_Controls.JPG

I can tell you from experience that cab rides are not all fun. In my railroad career I have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles most of them in a cab. I gave up counting the grade crossing accidents but they resulted in 13 fatalities, very upsetting to all involved and this was before a crew that had an incident was relieved if they wanted to be.

The first and most devastating came early in my time with Amtrak. I was a QC inspector for the rebuilding of two United Aircraft TurboTrains in Montreal. On the acceptance run (with many VIPS aboard) the CN engineer passed a red signal at 95 mph with the road foremen of engines in the fireman's seat. they both heard that they were "cleared all the way" from the dispatcher. I was in between the two of them and was beating on the engineer's shoulder telling him the stop (plus a few expletives). He did put the train into emergency and I watched as we hit as I had given up all hope. We hit a freight train crossing over to clear our track, the impact speed was 75 mph.

The crash was horrible, a fire ensued. I was able to escape through the nose doors. After much confusion I was taken to a hospital in Lachine (Sp) where I was treated for shock, abrasions, contusions, and smoke inhalation. I was billed $17.00 dollars because I was a citizen of the USA for the emergency room, x-rays, dressings for wounds and O2. I have a few other anecdotes from this wreck but it is late and I must retire for the night.
That is an awesome experience. Considering you were in the front of that aluminum 'airplane-on-rails', it is a miracle that you lived to tell about it. And amazing that you were able to excape thru those 'clamshell' nose doors....

As for the 'fun factor', when you have to do something for a living, it can get old after so long, and while certainly an occupation that is the envy of many of us here, it is after all, just a job, and not like you were doing it for recreation on occasion.....

Y'know, on further consideration a better, fairer, and more direct comparison would be electric/electric, so here's a GG-1 cab to go with that Acela. Still a huge then-and-now difference:

gg1-cab_fs.jpg

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's GG-1, No. 4935, photo by Matt Donnelly.

Another great shot! Thinking about oldtimer's story, if I was in a grade crossing accident, I would sure rather be in the cab of that 'G', than in an Acela, although Acela's I suppose don't have any grade crossings to worry about....

Another great shot! Thinking about oldtimer's story, if I was in a grade crossing accident, I would sure rather be in the cab of that 'G', than in an Acela, although Acela's I suppose don't have any grade crossings to worry about....
No, Acela's encounter grade crossings in eastern CT and RI. And Acela has already had one grade accident in CT where 3 people were sadly killed.

I had a cab ride in the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad a few years back. It is a short run museum train so it is not like riding up front in a full speed train, but it was neat. There were only four passengers on this run so the engineer gave everyone the opportunity to ride up front.

No, Acela's encounter grade crossings in eastern CT and RI. And Acela has already had one grade accident in CT where 3 people were sadly killed.
Oh. I haven't ridden the NHV to BOS segment since it was 'juiced'....I would have thought that by now they would have eliminated the grade crossings, as they have west of NHV. About how many crossings remain?

Oh. I haven't ridden the NHV to BOS segment since it was 'juiced'....I would have thought that by now they would have eliminated the grade crossings, as they have west of NHV. About how many crossings remain?
I think there are three.

Pre Chatsworth, after coming down on the CS the engineer of the cab car on the SurfLiner invited several kids (mine included) into the cab, let them blow the horn too...

In the 1980's I went exploring at the Sumpter Valley RR Restoration site one Saturday morning and had a conversation with the crew that went something like this... "We only have three of us this weekend to run the train, that means no pottie breaks, wanna help?" So I ended up tossing wood in the firebox of the Eccles Heisler for the weekend. Now they charge you for the pleasure!

I have probably nearly 20 contacts who work at Amtrak, including one of the "higher ups" in Washington, DC... but have only been able to get in the cab a couple of times.

I got a ride in the cabbage car on the Hiawatha from Glenview to Milwaukee once... it was pretty cool because I was up there by myself as they were using the main engine was in use. I also got a friend who was visiting from Boston up in the cabbage car for a quick tour while it was parked in the Milwaukee depot.

I have gotten 2 cab rides on the Acela by slipping a red cab some $$... rode once from Route 128 to Stamford... and then New Haven to Stamford. They seemed very jittery about letting me ride from Boston South Station or into New York Penn because they didnt know who'd be out on the platform. I was also promised I could take pictures, just cant post them online. It was sweet hitting 149mph.

Another thought about those United Aircraft Turbo Trains, that oldtimer mentioned, when he related his unfortunate incident...

Anyone could get a 'cab ride' on those trains. The engineer occupied the front right seat in the lead 'power dome' car. The fireman occupied the front left seat. There was a transparent bulkhead separating them from the passenger seats, so if you were in the first seats behind it, you could see over their shoulder everything...the operation of the controls, the instruments, and the view out the front windshields. There was an access door to the cab area in the center, and beyond that was the ramp down to the closed clamshell nose doors.

The original Penn Central MU Metroliner's also had a 'railfan window', and you could peer into the engineer's cab on those, as well.

Internationally, I recall a Swiss railway offered a cab ride package a few years ago as a tourism promotion - you received a cab ride one way along a particular route and then a first class ticket back to your point of originations.
They still do.

You can ride with official Swiss railways on the Gotthard route.

There is also an group of individuals who own an early electric locomotive and can run it on SBB tracks. They offer cab rides to help pay the costs of keeping the antique locomotive running.

It is not only more interesting than the official version but also cheaper.

I did it some years back and and can only recommend it:

For those who can read German, here is their website

http://www.ae47.ch/

I think there are three.
No! There are more than 3; heck there are 3 just in downtown New London. IIRC, there are 10 or 11 grade crossings left east of New Haven.

I think there are three.
No! There are more than 3; heck there are 3 just in downtown New London. IIRC, there are 10 or 11 grade crossings left east of New Haven.
That many, eh? And is that where they run at 150 mph? That must be a 'thrill' for the engineer, wondering if those crossings will be clear while flying down the tracks.......

Any idea if and when they will eliminate the last of them?

No grade crossing whatsoever are permitted at speeds 125+ mph. They are essentially prohibited 110-125mph as well (to the best of my knowledge none of the "impenetrable barriers" FRA requires for those speeds have been developed and put into place). So, for all intents and purposes, grade crossings only exists where rail speeds do not exceed 110mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back