Houston to Chicago via San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsinsky

Train Attendant
If I book a sleeper from Houston to Chicago through San Antonio on the Sunset and Eagle, can I stay on the train overnight in San Antonio? Thanks.

Amtrak will only book you through SAS on a Multi- City Booking on the Sunset Ltd. #1 from Houston ( only runs 3 days a week), then #22/#422 from SAS-CHI.

Since #22/#422 doesn't leave for CHI until 700am, you would have to get off the train ( usually arrives before midnight into SAS) and spend 6-7 Hours in the less than comfortable AMSHAK in San Antonio.

This is because there is no connection between #1 and #22 in SAS since #1 leaves for LAX @ 2:45am and the Eagle doesn't starting boarding until about 6:30am.

Otherwise you will have to ride a Thruway Bus ( guaranteed connection) from HOS to Longview where you connect with #22, the Texas Eagle,( Daily) for CHI.

You could also do HOS-NOL on #2, overnight in NOL on your dime and then take the City of New Orleans, #58 to CHI.

Last edited by a moderator:
SL to SAS and TE to CHI requires an uncomfortable layover unless you care to watch the TE through to LA Coach and Sleeper added the SL from NOL. Note that the TE waits for the SL from LA to add its through to CHI Sleeper and Coach, so if the SL is late, the TE waits to board until the cars are connected. You are better off using the bus to Longview or going through NOL taking the train to CHI.

Otherwise you will have to ride a Thruway Bus ( guaranteed connection) from HOS to Longview where you connect with #22, the Texas Eagle,( Daily) for CHI.

You could also do HOS-NOL on #2, overnight in NOL on your dime and then take the City of New Orleans, #58 to CHI.
I think the only reasonable option for jimsinsky is the Longview bus.

If he takes the NOL option he will be locked in or out of the station waiting room from 10pm til 5:30am. To me renting a hotel room for that short a time is unreasonable.

Off topic (sort of)

Yesterday I tried to make an AGR redemption from San Antonio to Charlottesville. The first thing the agent presented was #2 to NOL then #20 to CVS with the 9 hour overnight layover. I refused. In the past they would not allow this at all on AGR, right? And then there was a big hassle about well, OK, if it's less than 24 hrs layover blahblahblah. Now it's the first option.

The Cardinal is sold out already on my date in early October (perhaps the 2nd sleeper is gone by then) so I got the Capital Ltd to WAS and then the Crescent to CVS. Checked luggage was a must because I'll have a foot locker with me. I have never checked anything before. I was lucky to get on #22 - there was only a roomette in the #422 car.

I did this a couple of years ago.

I was expecting to be able to stay on the sleeper so was disappointed when told I had to get off.

The station at SAS is small and there's not much of interest. The man at the ticket desk however kindly agreed to store our bags while we walked into downtown where we found a place that was open and enkoyed a couple of drinks and a midnight snack before returning in time to catch the Eagle.

So it's entirely doable. I've had worse connections.

In the past, I've flown from Houston to NOL on the morning of departure just to avoid the Longview bus. The bus isn't bad, but I've gotten $44 fares on Southwest before. I know, the airport is a big hassle compared to the train.

Two things have me conflicted now, though. I like the extra time in Chicago the comes with taking the CONO, both for sightseeing and for the reduced chance of a missed connection.

But the downgraded meal service on the CONO was such a huge turnoff on my last trip, that I think I'll go back to the Longview bus and the Texas Eagle in the future.

As a side note, I've found trips where I can't get the routing I want to/from Houston even though said routing is available to/from Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio. The workaround I use is to book to/from Marshall, TX, and buy the $37 ticket between Houston and Marshall.

Thanks everyone for the help. The bus to Longview is not an option as I do not want to spend nearly 20% of the train trip on a bus. I did that once before and the train was 2 hours late. The dining car was closed when we boarded, and while a nice gesture, the pizzas the station agent had delivered was not much of a consolation.

I've decided to either rent a car one way ($100) and stay an extra day in San Antonio, or take the Sunset Limited to San Antonio ($41) and spend an extra day there. I'm traveling with my 10 year old.

I've decided to either rent a car one way ($100) and stay an extra day in San Antonio, or take the Sunset Limited to San Antonio ($41) and spend an extra day there. I'm traveling with my 10 year old.
I've thought about doing the one way rental from Houston too, but between the $100+ for that and the hotel, I found I could fly to El Paso and pick up the Eagle there. I am planning to do that in 2016. I'll be able to stay on the train overnight in San Antonio and since it's an award redemption, it won't cost any more points.

But I wonder why one-way rentals are so high between Houston and San Antonio. I'm renting one way between Miami and Tampa next month for $26 all-in.

Megabus would be another option. It's only $1 if you book early ($2 if you want an assigned seat) but I've read some bad reviews about their Hou-Sat service.

Another option: In 2012 I had my father drive me from Houston to Austin with my #2 nephew and #3 niece; we stayed overnight at the Austin Motel on Congress Avenue and watched the bats emerge from under the bridge that evening, then caught the northbound Texas Eagle from there. We had checked our bags the previous evening so that we didn't have to worry about being at the station an hour early. We boarded in time to catch last call for breakfast in the diner (but note that that isn't guaranteed, especially if the train is at all late) and Dad drove the car back home (a one way rental would work also, of course). Just a suggestion, but it worked well for us.

One-way car rental rates are based on if the destination city is getting too many on-way rentals, in other words if more people are driving to San Antonio from Houston, then the rates are high to pay for someone to drive the car back to Houston. Now, if you rented the other direction, the rate would be low since you are returning the car back to its home city. The Miami - Tampa rate you are returning the car back to its home city.

sorry but when I read the title of this thread I can't help thinking of Charlie Daniels Uneasy Rider

"If I went to LA via Omaha"

I've thought about doing the one way rental from Houston too, but between the $100+ for that and the hotel, I found I could fly to El Paso and pick up the Eagle there. I am planning to do that in 2016. I'll be able to stay on the train overnight in San Antonio and since it's an award redemption, it won't cost any more points.
But I wonder why one-way rentals are so high between Houston and San Antonio. I'm renting one way between Miami and Tampa next month for $26 all-in.

Megabus would be another option. It's only $1 if you book early ($2 if you want an assigned seat) but I've read some bad reviews about their Hou-Sat service.
SteveSTX, we'll wake the Hound to San Antonio. $14 for both of us. We're going next week so airfares are too high. And ever since I saw "Midnight Cowboy" I've wanted to take a bus trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back