Hotels near Rail Transit and Commuter Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've stayed in several of their hostels, which I mentioned in a PM. But it's interesting that they currently required an active membership for US stays or charge $3 per day otherwise. I paid my $18 for the membership but at this point I'm not sure I'm going back before that membership expires. I only managed to stay 2 days, but I suppose it goes to a good cause.

I did stay at the HI Los Angeles Santa Monica Hostel just after Christmas and it was very nice. It was remodeled specifically as a hostel and it was probably the nicest hostel I've ever stayed at. My room was recently painted and the bathrooms looked as if they were remodeled recently. The breakfast areas looked pretty new. My criticism was their zero alcohol policy, which seems odd compared to most hostels (including one where they actually had a nighttime social with liquor and beer served). They showed me rules that said a guest could be asked to leave (without a refund) if found with alcohol in the room or common areas, even if not consumed on premises. I had to figure out what to do with my 50 ml bottle of Glenlivet 18, which was the only alcohol I had with me when I checked in. They theoretically could have held onto it at the front desk.

It was just about a block away from the LA Metro Santa Monica (yellow line) station and when I got to LA Union Station it took less than an hour to get there.
The membership or $3/night was in effect back in 2013 & 2015

The membership or $3/night was in effect back in 2013 & 2015
The HI hostels are cool. I've stayed in Chicago . but my favorite is Boston. Met a guy dressed as Jesus no kidding. I can concur there is a 3 dollar non member fee for each night and a accommodation tax( fee) in Massachusetts non political it's a notice for travelers only they are upfront about it.

There are some offbeat and interesting hotels near the Damen and Division Blue Line stops, in Wicker Park: an ecclectic neighborhood. I can't speak for costs (they might not be terribly discounted.) But if one wanted to stay a bit beyond downtown in places with some history or character, these might be options.

The Jefferson Park (about halfway between O'Hare and downtown) area is an ideal spot for a hotel which doesn't exist. While the active area by a major transit terminal is not destitute ghost town, it is a shadow of the vibrant business district it once was. Despite being a TIF district, it hasn't attracted the kind of redevelopment which would make it pop with activity again. Part of the problem is nimby neighbors who like it kinda quiet and don't want the area to be all it could or should be.

Hello, interested in taking the train from San Diego to LA overnight in LA and then get on coast starlight to seattle. Any hotels you would recommend that are within walking distance or have a shuttle from hotel to train station? thanks.

I recently stayed 3 nights in Chicago between Cardinal trips at The Sonder on Wabash btw Madison & Monroe. $443. It was the nicest Airbnb of my long experience. Full kitchen, King bed, large living room, 15' ceilings. It was all very well done and pleasant. Quiet on 5th floor back of building. I walked everywhere.

I just returned from a few nights in Miami. First experience with CitizenM which is close to Metrorail and Metromover in Brickell and not terribly far from Brightline.
Loved the hotel, great location. Very modern. Just over $300 for two nights. Smallish rooms but I don't need a huge room. I'll gladly use this brand in other cities on future trips.

Back