Hotel In Chicagoland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doodaa

Train Attendant
Have a trip from the UK begining to take shape for May this year but have run in to a little problem, the Hotel I was hoping to use for 5 nights is booked out on the Saturday Night, this being the Quality Inn at Aurora, anyone have and suggestions, preferably with a railroad view and close to a Metra Station, and reasonably priced would help the budget too.

Thanks in advance Steve

Hi Steve,

I tend to stay out near the O'Hare airport, quite a few hotels to choose from. You can get into Chicago via the Blue Line "Elevated" train. The airport hotels seem a lot cheaper than in the city itself. Anything from motel 8 to Hilton are there. I have also enjoyed stays at the central Chicago Hostel International, when solo. The "el" runs right past the windows on 1st floor.

I am sure many others will have their suggestions.

Cheers,

Ed :cool:

The Holiday Inn at the Merchandise Mart has a nice view of the North end of Union Station and Northwestern Station owned by Metra. Also has a nice view of the El. Nice place. I stay there all the time! Great staff nice restaurant too. This hotel is a little odd though. You need to go to the 15th floor to check in to your room. So when you get to the elevators their is a desk I stood there with my Dad for half an hour waiting for someone before someone said the check in is on the 15th floor. It's a nice spot to watch trains come and go though. Just my two cents.

Steve

Go here or here type in the city you want to stay and it should provide you with a detailed map of the area with nearest hotels marked.

Have a trip from the UK begining to take shape for May this year but have run in to a little problem, the Hotel I was hoping to use for 5 nights is booked out on the Saturday Night, this being the Quality Inn at Aurora, anyone have and suggestions, preferably with a railroad view and close to a Metra Station, and reasonably priced would help the budget too.

Thanks in advance Steve
Just book it and contact the hotel and see if they can honor one more night.

Thanks in advance Steve

For cheap in downtown I've stayed at the Howard Johnson's motor motel on La Salle. It's not fancy and fixtures were a bit old when I was there a couple of years ago but it is close to a lot of attractions; Navy Pier, Grant Park, Million Mile, etc. The staff was really friendly, too. This time of year is about $73 per night and it's about a 5 to 10 minute cab ride to CUS.

Gord

I think the idea of watching trains from the Holiday Inn or the Comfort Suites sounds like a fun. I've only been to Chicago a few times on short trips so I'm not any sort of expert on which hotels represent the best values for railfans. If you're just looking for downtown accommodations I can advise on The Palmer House, Club Quarters, and JW Marriott in the downtown loop area if anyone is interested.

Staying with Aurora, there's a motel within sight of the Aurora Metra station, the end of the Metra-BNSF commuter line. A bit of Google-mapping finds it to be a Comfort Suites. Some more Googling shows that it's significantly closer to the Aurora terminal than the Quality Inn is to the Route 59 station.
Sorry it was the comfort Suites I ment, getting my self confused a little, I need a hoilday :lol:

Was Ideally trying to avoid downtown, I find the farther out of downtown the lower the rates are, and you get a train ride thrown in.

Rest of the trip is coming together nicely

Long Island & Metro North around New York

The Cardinal

Metra

Illinois Rail Museum

Monticello Museum

National Rail Museum up at Green Bay

City of New Orleans

The Cresent

B&O Roundhouse

Strasburg RR

Steamtown Scranton