Hoosier State in Jeopardy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hoosier State survives.

Gov. Mike Pence announced the state has reached an agreement in principle with Amtrak and local communities to keep the Hoosier State passenger rail service operating between Indianapolis and Chicago.

Once agreements are signed and executed by all parties, monthly payments will renew the existing service for one year with an option for an additional four months, according to a news release from the governor’s office.

http://www.jconline.com/article/20131015/NEWS02/310150021/State-Amtrak-reach-agreement-Hoosier-State

The Hoosier State survives.

Gov. Mike Pence announced the state has reached an agreement in principle with Amtrak and local communities to keep the Hoosier State passenger rail service operating between Indianapolis and Chicago.

Once agreements are signed and executed by all parties, monthly payments will renew the existing service for one year with an option for an additional four months, according to a news release from the governors office.

http://www.jconline.com/article/20131015/NEWS02/310150021/State-Amtrak-reach-agreement-Hoosier-State
The article didn't say but any word on which of the four service improvement tracts, if any, we're agreed to?

AFAIK none. The agreement is just for maintaining current service.
yes, it looks like IN choose the minimum option of keeping the 4 days a week service running for now. We may have to wait to see if IN DOT has any longer term plans for improving or expanding HS service.

My understanding is that they went with the 4-day-a-week option as a short-term fix to actually work out what to go with going forward.

My understanding is that they went with the 4-day-a-week option as a short-term fix to actually work out what to go with going forward.
Which makes sense as IN DOT did not start negotiations and commission the study on options until very late in the 5 year window. If IN does in a year provide funding for a daily HS and establishes a multi-year program of incremental track improvement projects, that will be significant. But just supporting the 4 day a week HS is a pleasant surprise from what was the expected fate of the HS even just a few months ago.

Town won’t help Amtrak

DYER – A northern Indiana town served by an Amtrak line that runs between Indianapolis and Chicago is balking at chipping in money to a state-led plan that’s kept the line running.

The Lake County town of Dyer is the sole holdout in the deal that will keep the Hoosier State passenger line operating for at least one year in response to a recent cutoff of federal funding.

Town Manager Rick Eberly said Dyer declined to contribute the $5,000 a month the Indiana Department of Transportation had sought from the town to help keep the Hoosier State running.

Amtrak statistics show that 2,934 passengers got on and off trains in fiscal year 2013 at the Dyer platform.

“We just don’t have the ridership to justify those kind of dollars,” Eberly told the (Munster) Times.

Despite the town’s decision not to chip in, the Hoosier State will continue to stop at the Dyer platform.

Wow! Ive heard of People that are Tight but Not Being Willing to Shell Out $1.70 per Passenger is Pretty Stingy! That Town must not have heard of "To Make Money you have to Be Willing to Spend Money!" :rolleyes:

Penny Wise and Pound Foolish as Ben Franklin said! Why doesn't Amtrak just Quit Stop[ping there and let Indiana know that other Citizens have to make up what those Skinflints won't Kick in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Ive heard of People that are Tight but Not Being Willing to Shell Out $1.70 per Passenger is Pretty Stingy! That Town must not have heard of "To Make Money you have to Be Willing to Spend Money!" :rolleyes:

Penny Wise and Pound Foolish as Ben Franklin said! Why doesn't Amtrak just Quit Stop[ping there and let Indiana know that other Citizens have to make up what those Skinflints won't Kick in?
The requested $5000 subsidy is per month, and the passenger count is for the year. The actual subsidy is just over $20 per passenger.

It's not really penny wise/pound foolish, nor "cheap" to have a train stop from a per-passenger perspective.

Dyer, IN has okay call times....leaves for Chicago at 8:30 AM and arrives back at 6:58 PM. But they also have much more convenient options for getting to Chicago within 10-15 miles (with Metra Electric in Chicago Heights and the South Shore line in Hammond.) If I was going to Chicago from Dyer, I'd try to get to either the South Shore or Metra Electric, if for no other reason than because if I happen to miss the call time there's another train within a couple hours. Granted, I can't get to Indianapolis or points between that way, but if they're running the Hoosier State anyways I could take Metra to Chicago and board there (or take a bus if I was going to Indianapolis.)

From a financial perspective, it's also a pretty rotten deal. The Cardinal would still stop there if the Hoosier State left, so there's only 8 frequencies per week they're getting. Assuming that each train has an equal amount of people boarding (which actually puts more passengers on the Hoosier State than there likely is, as there's more destinations on the Cardinal), 1677 passengers get on or off of the Hoosier State at Dyer yearly, which comes out to 4-5 passengers a day. That's $35.77 per person getting on or off, or the city chipping in $71.54 per round trip passenger on the Hoosier State. That's a lot of money per passenger, money that the city (likely rightfully so) finds could be better spent elsewhere, even from the perspective of increasing transit availability. You could likely hire a full-time bus driver for $60,000 a year, which could be put to use both in the city and offering connectivity to nearby transit options, with the fare that the passenger pays only having to cover the cost of the vehicle. Frankly, if I was on the city council for Dyer, I would've protested that subsidy as well.

While it's good to advocate for trains and make sure that they're advocated for, it's also good to make sure we're not advocating for something that to most outside observers seems irrational, because then these outliers are used as the norm for the subsidy for rail travel by the anti-rail crowd.

There's also the fact that they're being asked to subsidize a "C" train that doesn't even run daily, lacks food service, etc. If this was a daily Cardinal and a daily Hoosier State we were talking about, that would be one thing, but Amtrak can't even offer Dyer a consistent product at the moment. That's not entirely Amtrak's fault, but it's still an issue.

Well, Jim, I guess Amtrak should have the city of Austin pay $20 per passenger getting on and off the Texas Eagle. I'm sure that will encourage support for more service.

I understand ya'lls Points Guys, we'll have to Agree to Disagree on this One! Perhaps Eliminating the Stop IS the Answer to this One, I'm not sure of all the Politics and Legalities Involved ,but with the Poor OTP that the Cardinal has, Perhaps This Would Help a Little with it's Time Keeping!

As to the Austin Paying for the Eagle Point, Austin (and Texas) only get back like 50 Cents on the Dollar that they pay in Taxes to the Federal and State Governments, so I'd say They Are Paying More Than Their Fair Share of the Costs for Amtrak Trains in Texas! (All 3 of them, the Eagle, the Sunset and the Heartland Flyer/ 2 of Which Don't Serve Austin!)

Opening the door to competition from private operators is the route Indiana will take in finding ways to improve the Hoosier State passenger rail service between Indianapolis and Chicago.

The state announced Friday that it has hired R.L Banks & Associates to develop a request for proposals from companies interested in operating, marketing or improving services on the line to increase ridership and decrease operating expenses for taxpayers.

Indiana, Lafayette, West Lafayette, Tippecanoe County and other communities served by the line agreed in October to pick up the $2.7 million annual cost of running the four-day-a-week train after the federal government stopped funding Amtrak routes shorter than 750 miles.

Combined with Amtrak’s three-day-a-week, long-distance Cardinal, the trainshttp://www.amtrak.com/cardinal-hoosier-state-train provide daily passenger rail service along the 196-mile corridor.[SIZE=6.5pt].[/SIZE]

FULL STORY

I Wonder Why States have Departments of Transportation if they have to Hire Consultants to Do Studies and Design New Systems?? Aren;t Career Government People by Definition Experts in their Field? Oh that's Right, the Politicians get Campaign "Contributions" from the Companies that Live on Government Contracts! Never Mind! :(

I Wonder Why States have Departments of Transportation if they have to Hire Consultants to Do Studies and Design New Systems?? Aren;t Career Government People by Definition Experts in their Field? Oh that's Right, the Politicians get Campaign "Contributions" from the Companies that Live on Government Contracts! Never Mind! :(
Because they frequently don't have the relevant staffing. Caltrans Division of Rail had 14 positions and I believe has been cut down to 6 positions and California isn't exactly anti-rail.

Because they frequently don't have the relevant staffing. Caltrans Division of Rail had 14 positions and I believe has been cut down to 6 positions and California isn't exactly anti-rail.

Perhaps they should have the relevant staffing.
Maybe yes, maybe no.......they may have cut staff in order save money for the taxpayers, retaining only those people who's resume is most useful on an all year round basis, and looking to outside expertise to fill in gaps on a short-time basis, for things like study's.

I am certainly not knowledgeable in this area, but just wanted to throw in this possibility. If I am correct, than they are performing with taxpayer's in mind....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back