Holland, St. Joseph MI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they have announced these special running trains for the Tulip festival.

http://www.wsjm.com/2018/04/04/amtrak-offering-tulip-time-trains/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
The link entitled "Bicycles to be welcome on Pere Marquette" makes it sound like bicycles had been banned on the PM. The article itself sounds like bike services is being expanded with the addition of a "baggage control car on the train that can carry bicycles". What's a baggage control car?

In any event the area is an ideal destination for bicyclists. I've done the Michigan Shoreline Tour, starting near or passing through Holland, many times.

Looks like they have announced these special running trains for the Tulip festival.

http://www.wsjm.com/2018/04/04/amtrak-offering-tulip-time-trains/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
The link entitled "Bicycles to be welcome on Pere Marquette" makes it sound like bicycles had been banned on the PM. The article itself sounds like bike services is being expanded with the addition of a "baggage control car on the train that can carry bicycles". What's a baggage control car?
It is probably referring to the cabbage F40phs.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is probably referring to the cabbage F40phs.
Very likely so. Cabbages have been used on the PM for several years, predating the bicycle policy......however, I believe they now are used only if there is a necessity and not part of the regular consist since the Chargers came out.

Happy to see they are also now adding extra trains for the Senior PGA tournament in May. Still hopeful to have 2x day trains at some point but even if just for summer or summer weekends, it would be great to try it out! This is another great step toward that IMO. Interesting too that the drop off in St Joe/Benton Harbor will be at a different location that is walkable to the tournament.

Pere Marquette: Extra Service for Tulip Festival and Senior PGA TournamentEffective Saturdays and Sundays, May 5 - 27, 2018

Amtrak is providing extra service between the Chicago area and points in Michigan for the Tulip Festival in Holland and the Senior PGA Golf Tournament in St. Joseph.

Saturdays
  • On May 5 and 12, Trains 374 and 375 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and Holland to offer service to and from the Tulip Festival.
  • On May 26, Trains 377 and 378 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and St. Joseph, Michigan for the Senior PGA Golf Tournament, stopping at Graham Road, which is walking distance to the golf course.
  • These extra trains will make an additional stop at Hammond-Whiting on the above dates to accommodate passengers attending both events.
Sundays May 6, 13 and 27Train 371 will make an extra station stop at Hammond-Whiting to accommodate passengers wishing to stay overnight after the events and return to the Chicago area the next day.

Happy to see they are also now adding extra trains for the Senior PGA tournament in May. Still hopeful to have 2x day trains at some point but even if just for summer or summer weekends, it would be great to try it out! This is another great step toward that IMO. Interesting too that the drop off in St Joe/Benton Harbor will be at a different location that is walkable to the tournament.

Pere Marquette: Extra Service for Tulip Festival and Senior PGA Tournament

Effective Saturdays and Sundays, May 5 - 27, 2018

Amtrak is providing extra service between the Chicago area and points in Michigan for the Tulip Festival in Holland and the Senior PGA Golf Tournament in St. Joseph. Saturdays

• On May 5 and 12, Trains 374 and 375 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and Holland to offer service to and from the Tulip Festival.
  • On May 26, Trains 377 and 378 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and St. Joseph, Michigan for the Senior PGA Golf Tournament, stopping at Graham Road, which is walking distance to the golf course.
  • These extra trains will make an additional stop at Hammond-Whiting on the above dates to accommodate passengers attending both events.
Sundays May 6, 13 and 27Train 371 will make an extra station stop at Hammond-Whiting to accommodate passengers wishing to stay overnight after the events and return to the Chicago area the next day.
The extra trains on May 26 terminate in St. Joe?

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Thanks for the videos of Holland, Michigan. It brought back pleasant memories of the three years we lived in the Netherlands.

We lived in Amsterdam and my wife would get a seasons pass to Keugenhoff Gardens where the most beautiful tulips would

be on display from the growers. I often traveled and would fly over the flower farms (bloem boerderij) and would see the fields

of tulips with their brilliant colors. We must get to Holland, Michigan to again enjoy the tulips.

Amtrak is providing extra service between the Chicago area and points in Michigan for the Tulip Festival in Holland and the Senior PGA Golf Tournament in St. Joseph. Saturdays

yes those trains are just for the Senior PGA which is in Benton Harbor, the other trains earlier in May are for the Holland Tulip Fest

yes those trains are just for the Senior PGA which is in Benton Harbor, the other trains earlier in May are for the Holland Tulip Fest
The PGA trains must be a first where it terminates in St. Joe. Plus, I don’t know but also the extra trains adding Hammond-Whiting might be a first for the PM.

The PGA trains must be a first where it terminates in St. Joe. Plus, I don’t know but also the extra trains adding Hammond-Whiting might be a first for the PM.

yes, this it the first time for a special train for the Sr. PGA and definitely the first time stopping at a different location, but it's doable based on the areas the tracks go through. Hammond Whiting is definitely a first too for the PM.

yes, this it the first time for a special train for the Sr. PGA and definitely the first time stopping at a different location, but it's doable based on the areas the tracks go through. Hammond Whiting is definitely a first too for the PM.
Oh, not stopping at the station in St. Joe? The more I hear, the less PM like these Senior PGA trains seem like.
Also, It does seem like the regular trains will meet at some point with both sets of special trains. I’ll keep an eye out for the Tulip Time trains.

Oh, not stopping at the station in St. Joe? The more I hear, the less PM like these Senior PGA trains seem like.
Also, It does seem like the regular trains will meet at some point with both sets of special trains. I’ll keep an eye out for the Tulip Time trains.

No I'm not sure they are not ALSO stopping at the regular SJ stop - it's not clear and tickets don't seem to be available yet for these trains so hard to know.

No I'm not sure they are not ALSO stopping at the regular SJ stop - it's not clear and tickets don't seem to be available yet for these trains so hard to know.
It looks to me that they're sold out both ways. Weird that the notation on the booking page says "none left" rather than "sold out". I've never seen that before. It also appears that only coach class were to be available, no business class.

EDIT: After further investigation, the Tulip Time extra train has no business class on the 5th but business class on the 12th. Strange.

I and some family are taking the Pere Marquette for the Tulip Festival tues the 8th for the parade on wed afternoon so it will be the regular train not the special. Question: Is the cafe the regular staffed one with the same selection as the wolverine trains? Some years ago I thought the Pere Marquette had some unique automat car with vending but has that changed back to a regular car? Because it is in the evening the family will need to at least grab something on the train.

I and some family are taking the Pere Marquette for the Tulip Festival tues the 8th for the parade on wed afternoon so it will be the regular train not the special. Question: Is the cafe the regular staffed one with the same selection as the wolverine trains? Some years ago I thought the Pere Marquette had some unique automat car with vending but has that changed back to a regular car? Because it is in the evening the family will need to at least grab something on the train.
I've never heard of this automat car you're talking about and I've been riding the Pere Marquette for well over 10 years, 100+ times. The cafe car is normally staffed with a regular menu.

sounds great! Thanks for the answer. The automat I read about was a long time ago in the 90's. I figured it had changed but sometimes Amtrak does seem to inordinately stay the same so I just wanted to make sure. If you want to read the history of it. try the link or that doesn't work search for Pere Marquete Automat car trainweb and it should come up. http://www.trainweb.com/accommod/automat.html#sthash.FGDc64aB.dpbs

sounds great! Thanks for the answer. The automat I read about was a long time ago in the 90's. I figured it had changed but sometimes Amtrak does seem to inordinately stay the same so I just wanted to make sure. If you want to read the history of it. try the link or that doesn't work search for Pere Marquete Automat car trainweb and it should come up. http://www.trainweb.com/accommod/automat.html#sthash.FGDc64aB.dpbs
Indeed, I checked it out. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that with all the cuts at Amtrak with airline man, Richard Anderson as CEO, that something like that would return to the PM, eliminating the LSA.

I rode it back then - it wasn’t horrible, but I was just looking for a snack. The best thing about it was having outlets in all the booths, which made it easy for me to work. That was not normal back then. Today, there are plenty of outlets everywhere, and I’d prefer the LSA to a machine any day. But the machine beats nothing at all.

The Pere Maquette served Hammond-Whiting until April 29, 2001. I did some research I think from timetables.org when writing up the Pere Marquette Page http://subwaynut.com/amtrak/routes/pere_marquette/index.phpfor my website.
Interesting......the H-W stop predatated my Amtrak days by 6 years. I had no clue they stopped there on the PM before. Are there any Amtrak trains that serve that stop there anymore? I always see it when on the PM and wonder.

The Pere Maquette served Hammond-Whiting until April 29, 2001. I did some research I think from timetables.org when writing up the Pere Marquette Page http://subwaynut.com/amtrak/routes/pere_marquette/index.phpfor my website.
Interesting......the H-W stop predatated my Amtrak days by 6 years. I had no clue they stopped there on the PM before. Are there any Amtrak trains that serve that stop there anymore? I always see it when on the PM and wonder.
Some Wolverine trains still stop there.

Apparently not the Wolverines I’ve taken. I don’t ever recall stopping there.

Me too - started riding the P-M in 2006...H-W used to be served by the 12:50 Wolverine (now 12:40 - #352) I think - I take that train a lot and I'm pretty sure it used to stop there as the first stop. Now New Buffalo is the first stop.

Apparently not the Wolverines Ive taken. I dont ever recall stopping there.
Going east, only the morning departure from Chicago stops there whereas going west two of the three Wolverines stop there (not the morning arrival into Chicago).

I talked to Jeff, the a/c on the PM this morning regarding the Sr. PGA train and he informed me that, no, they will not be stopping at the station....he said there is trackage that goes to the golf course and passengers will detrain and board there. His comment to me was that the drop off point actually will be closer than most parking for the event. He also stated that the H-W stop on all three trains makes no sense to him whatsoever due to the close proximity to CUS.

Also, I did see the extra tulip time train this morning. We met somewhere around the Michigan-Indiana border.....the first PM meet I’ve (or anyone else?) ever experienced. I’ll again look for it on the return trip next Saturday.

so did anyone take the special train to the Senior PGA tournament? Just curious what they thought and how the de-training went at a different location?

Back