Hilton Head -- Savannah

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi Folks!

Just got an invite to spend a week in Hilton Head -- woohoo!

I have enough Amtrak points to make it virtually free, so, really is that like winning the lottery? :) j/k

Question: It looks like the Savannah stop is the closest. Can someone give me any tips about car rental?

I took a quick look in the travelogues and it looks like some of that information might be old now.

I appreciate whatever you have for me.

BTW: I would be traveling Thanksgiving weekend (arriving in Savannah either the Friday or Saturday after the big Turkey day).

I imagine that this station would be super busy so maybe car rental expensive or non-existent??

Thank you.

Jackie

It depends. Amtrak Savannah is near nothing. I would use a ride share service to the airport to get a rental for one option. It's about a 45 min drive to Hilton Head. Or, if you don't want the hassle of a car rental, just take a ride share to Hilton Head. A quick look at the Uber app shows a rate for Uber x of about $53.

Jackie, woohoo is right! I'm happy for you. It's been many years since I was in Savannah, but at that time there was a car rental place in the airport. I don't know which one. Last month I used Enterprise in Vermont, and it was good. (Sorry we weren't able to coordinate our trips and meet up.)

Uber is a very good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid the airport if you can. Uber to the close by Enterprise if your arrival is in the AM. Airport is only option at night. Get a reservation for the car, and you should be fine. Uber all the way to HHI is only about $20 more than to the airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back