Hey guys! Need some advice fast!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they do seem to be much more common in winter and spring.

And I do usually build in an overnight stay connection from LD to LD, but wouldn't have for JoanieB's trip, with a short-distance connecting train.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are cracking me up! You don't even want to hear about my return connection. The EB is *supposed* to arrive in CHI at 3:55 & my train, 370, leaves at 4:55 Like that's going to happen :p Heck, 4 hours was cutting it close! They sold me the ticket so we shall see.
I have decided that amtrak connections stress me out way too much. They turn a late train into something causes me to have panic attacks.

From now on, I am going to try to do overnights for most of my connections. Or at least just do a connection that is not to a LD train so if I have to ride coach on the next train its no big deal.
I've actually never missed a connection with Amtrak. Now airlines that's another story, well actually only missed one but I have a number of close calls. All of which happen to be at Minneapolis oddly enough. MSP is quite a bit bigger than one would think and going from the commuter gates across the terminal to F can be quite the workout. One incident I swear was gonna give a heart attack. Was from Buffalo to Seattle with a connection in MSP, naturally it starts to snow in Buffalo so we get out of Buffalo 45 minutes late. My connection is time is 45 minutes, I'm literally in panic mode as my flight to Seattle is that last of the day. We arrive in MSP 38 minutes late, so I have 7 minutes. I launch out of the jet bridge into a full out run across the entire airport adrenaline pumping, I make it to my gate in the F concourse just as they closing door. Thankfully they notice me and let me aboard without checking my boarding pass until im on the plane.

Yes, they do seem to be much more common in winter and spring.
And I do usually build in an overnight stay connection from LD to LD, but wouldn't have for JoanieB's trip, with a short-distance connecting train.
So far, we haven't had any extreme lateness on our trips. There is about a 3 hour layover on the last part of our next trip, but I'm not too worried.

It'll happen sometime. I've been 12 hours late twice on the Empire Builder into Chicago, 6 hours late on the EB into Chicago another time, 8-12 hours late into LA about 5 times during UP's "Screw the Starlight" period a few years ago, and 8 hours late on the CZ into Chicago.

Dinty Moore over rice, anyone?

I, too, wish AGR would allow a stopover between LD trains, especially when the connection time is iffy. Having to use double points for a second redemption isn't an attractive alternative.

Glad your trip turned out OK!

What a great bunch y'all are! I'm reading this hours after it happened and I was feeling all nervous til I found out she made it! I think I'm sort of glad I didn't find this as it was happening or nothing would've gotten done at work today. LOL

I can understand why the 371 was so late into CUS today. A lot of rain has caused extensive flooding in West Michigan. Once a year I travel from KAL to ALB. I take the Blue Wter instead of the Wolverine from KAL to CHI, even though the LSL doesn't leave until 9:30 PM and I have hours in Chicago. I do not have to rush and can see the city sights.

Venture - that was awesome. :giggle:

I'm glad you made it, Joanie!

BHV is correct. We were bombarded with flood claims from Chicago, NW Indiana, and SW Michigan this afternoon and evening. The roads were a mess, and there were flood warnings everywhere. It's STILL RAINING. :angry:

I, too, wish AGR would allow a stopover between LD trains, especially when the connection time is iffy. Having to use double points for a second redemption isn't an attractive alternative.
Glad your trip turned out OK!
I too think that would be a nice option. Then it really would be a 'Land Cruise'! :lol: Last summer, when we booked our AGR trip, the agent accidentally added a day layover in SAC. Good thing I caught it and called back. We would have been trying to board the train in SAC a day early!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back